First Name
Michael
Last Name
Marinny
Member #

Service Branch
Army
All,

I moved to Oregon from Idaho and am trying to register my Boreas XT Trailer. I received a letter from the DMV about having NFPA standard 1192 or 501C certification. Has anyone been able to register an overland trailer in Oregon? I cannot find the actual standard. I don't want to sell my trailer, I just want to get out and explore my new home.

Thanks in advance,

MIke PD_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
All,

I moved to Oregon from Idaho and am trying to register my Boreas XT Trailer. I received a letter from the DMV about having NFPA standard 1192 or 501C certification. Has anyone been able to register an overland trailer in Oregon? I cannot find the actual standard. I don't want to sell my trailer, I just want to get out and explore my new home.

Thanks in advance,

MIke PD_O
When we moved to OR they wanted to see all our trailers at the DMV, I bet you just need to register it as a utility trailer rather than a camping trailer. There is a weight limit in OR that if its under a certain weight it doesn't need to be registered. I always found it easier to go there in person.
Now this info is also 8 years old info since we dont live there anymore, but it might help your thought process.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
When we moved to OR they wanted to see all our trailers at the DMV, I bet you just need to register it as a utility trailer rather than a camping trailer. There is a weight limit in OR that if its under a certain weight it doesn't need to be registered. I always found it easier to go there in person.
Now this info is also 8 years old info since we dont live there anymore, but it might help your thought process.
Your information is still good @Kent R . Length and weight… most adventure trailers are classified as a utility trailer and don’t get a registration or plate.

Reactions: pairadocs_overland

TomInOregon

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Oregon
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Moss
Service Branch
USMC
Ours was already titled in Virginia when we purchased it and brought it out to Oregon. My wife did the registration, but she didn't mention any problems with the process. She just took it to the DMV and they inspected it to make sure the VIN matched up with the title and made sure it wasn't obviously non-roadworthy. We registered it 4 years ago and renewed it once with no issues.