Options when an electric winch is not possible

• HTML tutorial

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

So getting a winch on my rig is not a feasible option. I won’t get into the all the reasons for this, as there are several but the main one is weight of the winch and a bumper on my front end (my rig is a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk). I already have a Hi-Lift with winch kit, but I am wondering if I need something more. I have been looking at a winch-in-a-box (link below). These things are really designed for use on ATVs (4000 lbs pull) but since my rig has a curb weight of only 3,500 lbs I’m thinking this might be workable. Especially with a snatch block. Other benefits would be the capability to winch from any direction since it’s not hard installed. Thoughts?

https://superwinch.com/collections/superwinch-portable-winches/products/superwinch-winch2go-synthetic-rope-1140232

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I don’t think that will work out very well for you. An atv winch isn’t going to last long.
Maybe you should look into a More Power Puller come along. You can get synthetic line and pull up to 12000 pounds.
+1 I was thinking the same when I read the original post.

Passe-Partout

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

5466 Ashleigh Road, Fairfax, VA
First Name
Claude
Last Name
Imbt
Member #

So getting a winch on my rig is not a feasible option. I won’t get into the all the reasons for this, as there are several but the main one is weight of the winch and a bumper on my front end (my rig is a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk). I already have a Hi-Lift with winch kit, but I am wondering if I need something more. I have been looking at a winch-in-a-box (link below). These things are really designed for use on ATVs (4000 lbs pull) but since my rig has a curb weight of only 3,500 lbs I’m thinking this might be workable. Especially with a snatch block. Other benefits would be the capability to winch from any direction since it’s not hard installed. Thoughts?

https://superwinch.com/collections/superwinch-portable-winches/products/superwinch-winch2go-synthetic-rope-1140232
Like the others here I don't recommend the solution that you are considering. It doesn't appear to be robust enough for the job at hand. You might want to consider a trailer hitch mounted winch though. The idea is that you could have an appropriately sized winch attached to a portable winch mount that is designed to slide into a trailer hitch. When a winch is needed, you simply attach the winch to the trailer hitch and connect the winch directly to your battery via a preinstalled power cable or in a pinch, a long appropriately sized cable with alligator clips. You can use the winch to pull you out backwards or use pulleys to pull yourself forward (there are some YouTube videos that will show you how to do this. The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to drag the weight of the winch around during everyday driving, you don't need a special bumper, and you have the convenience of a properly sized winch when you need it. Downside is that you will have to make room for the winch in your vehicle when off-roading.

Here is an example of the hitch mount:

Reactions: Baipin

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

What about fabricating a box w/ mount plate similar to the winch in a box, but putting a real winch in it (thinking a Warn V8)? This would get me the versatility of the winch in a box plus capability of a good winch. Thoughts?

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

Rethink your decision I have seen winches on renegades even on the old liberty in my view there is no replacement for a dedicated properly mounted winch but if you must look at the super winch in a box I think they are 8 or 10 k you still have to attach it run power to it etc if you choose to go with hand operated stuff be prepared to be there for a long time and plan accordingly you have a pretty good chance of being there over night ....... ah and then there is the weather sometimes getting out now is the difference between now and weeks just MHO

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
What about fabricating a box w/ mount plate similar to the winch in a box, but putting a real winch in it (thinking a Warn V8)? This would get me the versatility of the winch in a box plus capability of a good winch. Thoughts?
This will weigh well over 100lb and take two people to handle. My 4500lb winch box weighs 70lb with the leads and snatch block and shackles.

20180912_175720.jpg

Get the More Power Puller. Those are great pieces and you can extract yourself pretty quick, but it does usually involve two people to do it safely since most of the time leaving your vehicle in neutral won't be a good option. I've done a few extractions with one and righted at least one vehicle with it. It's easier to store than the winch box too.

But seriously, do some looking and see if you can find just a winch mount vs a full bumper for the front and consider one of the Warn M8000S with the synthetic line. They've made the M8000 for over 30 years now and they are super tough machines. The V series is more affordable but I kind of doubt their long term support for spare and replacement parts.

Last edited:

WILLD420

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nevada
There is no replacement for a winch when you need one. Weight is a consideration but you can do some looking around and get one under 100 lbs all together. If you primarily go where it is dry and will only need it in emergencies, you can get away with the lighter hand powered options. There are also wheel driven winches but I believe they cost too much for what they are and have some serious drawbacks compared to the other options. Just remember, when it comes to a winch, always get more than you think you will need and it will last through whatever you can throw at it. Buy one too small and it might burn up on the first pull because you don't know it's limits or just how hard you are really pulling.

As an example, a friend sunk an old scout. We put a 9K winch on it and stalled it out, then broke the mount for the winch. We turned the truck around and yanked it out with a strap. Came right out. I thought a 9K winch was all you could ever want but a 5K lb truck in mud can probably drag 10K or more easy, depending on the slope and the consistency of the slop.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Receiver mount winch cradle, add a front receiver and your set to pull any direction.
I agree. I have a Superwinch 10,000 on a cradle. It's not for everyone and not the prettiest but it is a good option ... plus when not needed it sits in the garage. I've used it more for rescuing "barn finds" (i.e. - recent Jeep MJ that had ben sitting outside for 19 years). They are heavy as someone mentioned above. I replaced the 3/8" steel cable with a synthetic rope and that helped a LOT.

18-03-10 3.JPG

Reactions: Jason Jackson

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

So I think I found what I’m going to do. Apparently the Daystar winch Mount can be removed when not needed, leaving only the recovery point brackets. These brackets attached directly to the factory recover hook mounts. This will allow me to take a winch when needed and not carry around the extra weight on a daily basis. Thanks to all that offered advice!

IMG_4054.jpg

Reactions: Homeguy and TerryD

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

Personal experience here when I did not have a winch I needed one when I had one I did not need one if your like me and to some degree you must be then the allure of that interesting dirt road callsyou cant ignore it

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

As 4 Maxtrax will cost you more than a winch, be aware there are lower price options out there (though they don’t stack as efficiently-especially 4). X-Bull overstock are as little as $63/pair on eBay. Many folks have run them with no problems.

Reactions: Baipin

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Maxtrax would be a good option if you can store 4 of them on your roof.
Recovery boards have saved my bacon more than once but they are not going to help in steep terrain or if you get high centered.
I think I would look hard at one of those cast iron come-a-longs if I could not have a winch.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Winches are fine to have. I have one, but the question you must ask yourself is if you really have a need for one. Will you really get your rig into any situation that a pull is necessary.. You would be amazed at what human ingenuity, a pair of traction boards, a shovel, some rock piles, and a simple bottle jack can accomplish. You already have a high-lift and that alone will get you out of most anything. Years ago a winch was simply an un-affordable luxury for 99% of us and we got out of situations with only a couple of the aforementioned tools, primarily using shovels and wit. Here is a very old photo of me coming to a quick understanding that I was going to get very muddy as I dug out of this. Notice a very important fact. Even if I had a winch there was nothing to winch from. The nearest tree was at least a few hundred feet away. In a desperate attempt one might consider burying the spare tire with a winch line hooked to it, but that method rarely works and with an equal amount of shoveling you could simply dig the rig out.

I'm not saying, don't buy a winch, I'm only suggesting you think it through. DSC01093.jpg