Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
D
Member #

Couple questions for those of you that have "permanent" onboard water on your trailer. What kind of tank are you using, how is it mounted, and how do you have it plumbed? I have a CVT trailer I have been building out for a while, and now I am on to water. I would like roughly 20 gallons. I'm looking at either getting a Front Runner tank meant to go behind a seat (which I have a perfect place for, but they are expensive) or mounting something underneath (which means fabricating a mount and possible skid plate).

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Look into old travel trailer tanks... the rv repair places have lots of used one laying around and would sell cheap.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Food grade tanks are available on eBay and elsewhere. You can fabricate a DIY mount out of angle iron and some hard rubber strip to protect the tank. There are also some metal strap solutions. Pick your favorite pump, rv filller hose, clear hose for vent and I would use Pex for the actual plumbing to sink, shower, whatever you want to build. Ironman 4X4 is now offering a bunch of different styles of tanks. I think the first shipment from presumably China hasn't arrive yet.

Tf45

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Post Falls, Idaho, United States
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Fry
Member #

I use the 7 gallon reliance brand containers put together. I found all the fittings and hoses at my local farm store or ace hardware. Makes them easy to take in and out and they are ran by a 12v pump. Plus it allows me to carry one or two depending on trip length.

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I don't have a trailer, but was considering built-in options for my truck. I ended up going with this instead, as I liked the portability. I can move it anywhere my long cord will reach. I am currently building a rack where I can keep and use it. I'm carrying two 20L cans, and can move the pump by just switching caps when one runs dry.

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow and RusD

RusD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
D
Member #

I don't have a trailer, but was considering built-in options for my truck. I ended up going with this instead, as I liked the portability. I can move it anywhere my long cord will reach. I am currently building a rack where I can keep and use it. I'm carrying two 20L cans, and can move the pump by just switching caps when one runs dry.
I actually have a similar setup currently, it's a good solution. The jerries take up space I want for something else, and my trailer is plumbed to an external spigot I am not currently using but want to be able. Really that's the whole point for me, I have all the systems (pump, power, spigot, etc) just want a better (for my system) tank.

Reactions: Aequitas1916

RusD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
D
Member #

I use the 7 gallon reliance brand containers put together. I found all the fittings and hoses at my local farm store or ace hardware. Makes them easy to take in and out and they are ran by a 12v pump. Plus it allows me to carry one or two depending on trip length.
Are you referring to the blue cubes? I have one of those actually, never occurred to me to run a pump to it. Those are super handy containers especially for their price.

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I actually have a similar setup currently, it's a good solution. The jerries take up space I want for something else, and my trailer is plumbed to an external spigot I am not currently using but want to be able. Really that's the whole point for me, I have all the systems (pump, power, spigot, etc) just want a better (for my system) tank.
Can't blame you there. If I had a spigot already, I'd want to use it too.

Boba-Fett

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Banos, CA, USA
First Name
Gerardo
Last Name
Buitron
Member #

This was my solution, 36 gallons 'bout 300 Lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow