Onboard cooker/bbq/smoker?

• HTML tutorial
So I’m in the planning stages of my overland trailer here in Canada and I haven’t seen much about what people use to cook with.

I like the idea of a verticle charcoal smoker that can also be used as a grill.

Apparently I have too many in the yard so my options are many. I have a couple small verticle tube type smokers as well as a weber Smokey Joe Gold portable grill which I am leaning towards as it can be modified into a smoker but also used as a grill.

What are you all using and what ideas do you have?
IMG_2342.JPGIMG_2898.JPG

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

I'd say if you already have smokers/grills, by all means use one of them. Maybe a trial run with all your options to reveal if one turns out to be a pain in the butt out on the trail for some reason. If you're not happy with any of them, then start investigating other options.
In my own setup, I just use my old two-burner Coleman propane grill. It ain't fancy, but it's compact and it cooks my food. And since I bought it decades ago, it's 'free'.

Reactions: Walleyeye
I e also thought of getting a charcoal weber go anywhere grill but I really like the idea of the we er Smokey joe mini kettle grill cause it can double as a fire pit!

I do have a propane Coleman two burner which would be the main cooker and another red tank Coleman two burner stove as well.

I'd say if you already have smokers/grills, by all means use one of them. Maybe a trial run with all your options to reveal if one turns out to be a pain in the butt out on the trail for some reason. If you're not happy with any of them, then start investigating other options.
In my own setup, I just use my old two-burner Coleman propane grill. It ain't fancy, but it's compact and it cooks my food. And since I bought it decades ago, it's 'free'.
I couldn’t fit all my options to take along. That’s how many I have. Haha

Reactions: Lunch Box
Double as a fire pit? Fear no more!

I've got one of these:

View attachment 77821

If you don't mind lugging an extra 15 kg around, it works really well.
I do like that style of grill but it doesn’t lend itself to low and slow smoking.

That is on the bucket list though but I may hold out for an original version of that. Not sure who made it. It I remember them from back in the day!

Reactions: Lunch Box

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
So I’m in the planning stages of my overland trailer here in Canada and I haven’t seen much about what people use to cook with.

I like the idea of a verticle charcoal smoker that can also be used as a grill.

Apparently I have too many in the yard so my options are many. I have a couple small verticle tube type smokers as well as a weber Smokey Joe Gold portable grill which I am leaning towards as it can be modified into a smoker but also used as a grill.

What are you all using and what ideas do you have?
View attachment 77789View attachment 77790
Girl has some pretty hot legs, unfortunately now. They are probably old and wrinkly.

-Yeti-

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4MAL
If I'm out for any amount of time, I take my Green Mountain Grill. it's 12V, doesn't draw much power and can cook a turkey. It can be used as a smoker or grill and wood pellets make my life easier. If I'm doing more of a solo trip that I need to manage my gear better, I use a multi fuel single burner.