Kris
Last Name
Sss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YI
Service Branch
Firefighter/EMT
I have always had a memory of the old bubble compass screwed to the dash on the FJ40 that my father drove me around in as a kid. Funny thing is I still have the Land Cruiser but not the compass, go figure. That compass is something that I have missed for some time, especially as a product of the tech revolution. So for a Monday night project I installed a traditional compass in the old Rover. A slight step up from dad's but still true to tradition.
Cheers!20180423_195619.jpg

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Ditto, and spent ages adjusting the compensators to get it somewhere near - too many electronic devices in the rig don't help .....IMG_6396.JPG

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Bodge Garage

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Millwood WA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Sss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YI
Service Branch
Firefighter/EMT
I was really worried about interference but the accuracy out of the box on this one is stellar. It might be off enough if I were making an Atlantic crossing but it as dead on as I can figure.

Reactions: nickburt

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I was really worried about interference but the accuracy out of the box on this one is stellar. It might be off enough if I were making an Atlantic crossing but it as dead on as I can figure.
What make/model is it. My Silva is still off, no matter how much I try adjusting. Not sure if it's the compass, or interference, but it is better out of the rig, than in.

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

What make/model is it. My Silva is still off, no matter how much I try adjusting. Not sure if it's the compass, or interference, but it is better out of the rig, than in.
Have you tried a different location in the cab? Getting it farther from the electronics might help?

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Have you tried a different location in the cab? Getting it farther from the electronics might help?
Yes, but then I end up with it somewhere where I can't see it too well, I'd like it to be central so we can both make use of it. Will keep trying different locations. But, I beginning to wonder if it really isn't suited to being used in a tin box.

Bodge Garage

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Millwood WA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Sss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YI
Service Branch
Firefighter/EMT
Mine is just a cheap Ritche, nothing special. Out of the truck it reads only about a degree different. The variance is also very static so easy to compensate for. Maybe my aluminium body helps? When I turn the truck on it will move the needle just a hair but always zeros back out on its own in short order. I might just be lucky with placement.

Bodge Garage

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Millwood WA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Sss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YI
Service Branch
Firefighter/EMT
Yes, but then I end up with it somewhere where I can't see it too well, I'd like it to be central so we can both make use of it. Will keep trying different locations. But, I beginning to wonder if it really isn't suited to being used in a tin box.
I just had a thought. Maybe you could rig up a little faraday screen and see if there is a certain source of interference that could be blocked. You could try different aspects and see where you get some needle movement. Mind you I am no engineer.

Bodge Garage

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Millwood WA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Sss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YI
Service Branch
Firefighter/EMT
I just had a thought. Maybe you could rig up a little faraday screen and see if there is a certain source of interference that could be blocked. You could try different aspects and see where you get some needle movement. Mind you I am no engineer.
Ummm yeah strike my last thought there. After a bit of deeper pondering I realized why that won't work. Duh.:wink: