US West - OLD East Bay Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA For info only | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

US West OLD East Bay Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA For info only

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial
Status
Not open for further replies.

Overlandenthusiast

Rank IV

Member III

Belmont, California, USA
First Name
Aparajit
Last Name
Bajpai
Member #

June Monthly Meet Up
June13th 1-3pm
End of the lot at Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park
9801 Foothill Rd
Sunol, CA 94586

We will discuss refrigeration….the age old battle between ICE and FREON. Bring what you’ve got and let’s share our experiences between models for both coolers and fridges. Sometimes it‘s really helpful for others to see and touch different units and hear first-hand accounts of what you use.

We will also discuss the June trip to Bear Lake and the July trip to Bodie Ghost Town.

Remember we only use gear that is essential….I bet I can find a place for this in my rigView attachment 200305
lol .. iceco dual zone is a permanent addition in my LC :)

SWLands

Rank III
Expedition

Off-Road Ranger I

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6QBJ
I may not make it, but I have a question.

I find the 12 v plugs will disconnect with bumpy roads. Are there mods that keep them running more reliably? How would you get an Anderson plug to replace a 12 v socket?

Reactions: PapaDave and rho

rho

Rank V

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham Callsign
AG6YB

I find the 12 v plugs will disconnect with bumpy roads. Are there mods that keep them running more reliably? How would you get an Anderson plug to replace a 12 v socket?
Anderson plugs and running wire... For a fridge I'd suggest running its own fused circuit back to the battery. Another option is to run that same line from the batt to a second fuse box/aux power panel in the rear and then have an anderson plug for the fridge. I've found the 12v round plugs to be poor at best, and sometimes its worth it to hard-wire in stuff like USB charging ports , fridges or charging stations to avoid them, especially on a rig that will see a LOT of off road use.

PapaDave

US West Region Member Rep
Expedition

Member III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6BKH

I find the 12v plugs will disconnect with bumpy roads. Are there mods that keep them running more reliably? How would you get an Anderson plug to replace a 12 v socket?
Hey Steve most of the plugs to the fridge are the same and ARB makes a threaded screw in attachment that fits into the standard round 12v hole.
I took that unit and unscrewed the insert only for my panel, I didn’t use the housing.

These cords are dual purpose, standard 12v plug and the tip unscrews to screw into the threaded socket

Reactions: AzzyRnr and SWLands

SWLands

Rank III
Expedition

Off-Road Ranger I

Oakland CA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6QBJ
I think I would like a look at how that works.

My 4Runner has 3 12 v outlets, and I added a 4th with beefy wiring to carry the load on in inverter (I know, inverters aren't efficient) so I could charge my Bluetti 2400 that needs at least 16 volts input. I also have Jackery 1000 to run my cpap. I want all that power so I can stay put for several days without charging stuff up.

It all seems to work pretty well, so far, except the plugs rattle loose and the fridge warms up. The cpap has a 12 volt adapter, and I have to protect that so it stays plugged in as well.

My experience is the 12 volt socket is pretty much universally rubbish.

So yes - I would be very interested in that ARB plug if it us solid.

Reactions: AzzyRnr

TrailHawkGuy

Rank V

Steward II

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6GTZ
I have used/use both the ARB solution from Dave and Anderson Plug connections (am slowly standardizing all my 12v to those as it has more flexibility) -

Wall sockets

Powerwerx Panel Mount Housing for Two Anderson Powerpole Connectors with a Weather Resistant Cover

AlexAtWagan

Rank V
Adventure

Pathfinder III

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Hsu
Member #

I have used/use both the ARB solution from Dave and Anderson Plug connections (am slowly standardizing all my 12v to those as it has more flexibility) -

Wall sockets

Powerwerx Panel Mount Housing for Two Anderson Powerpole Connectors with a Weather Resistant Cover
I second the usage of Anderson PowerPole connectors for sure! Like USB standardization, Anderson plugs are the way to go.

WilC

Rank IV

Influencer II

San Ramon, CA, USA
First Name
william
Last Name
childress
Member #

Wall sockets

I'm running it for my comms in the cab. Will eventually do a dual battery and use them to extend power through my Decked drawers.

Attachments

TrailHawkGuy

Rank V

Steward II

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6GTZ
Reactions: AzzyRnr and WilC

PapaDave

US West Region Member Rep
Expedition

Member III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6BKH
This coming Sunday we are meeting!
June 13th, 1-3pm
Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park

Bring your cooler or fridge as we will be discussing the pros/cons of each and swapping experiences and best practices with them.

We will also be discussing our trip the at the end of the month to Bear Lake. There’s still 4 spots left!

Hoping I’ll see you guys there!

Status
Not open for further replies.