Old coast rd, Big Sur CA Day trip

• HTML tutorial

1largemouth

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Martinez
Member #

Screenshot_2016-11-03-21-09-40.png For those of you who's wife's aren't in to the "overlanding" life. This place is a great place to stop buy & check out. Lucky for me my wife was stoked about doing a simple day trip & getn dirty!
We started off at a great place to eat called River Inn, if you go be sure u ask to be seated on the patio out back...cool spot and chill. River flowing as you eat.
Anyways, my opinion would be to go down hwy 1 and start across from the Andrew Molera state park, you could start at the Bixby Bridge but we seen rental cars going down that way so figured it wasn't too much of a challenge. Enter at the dirt parking lot across the road onto "Old coast rd" We went for about 2 minutes and I decided that this would be a good time to air down just a little... washboard trail not too bad. Went to around 20ish psi. As we went up the trail there were some others coming down, so just be aware it's a 2 way trail. The view on this road is spectacular, you get the ocean, hills, redwoods just amazing. There were a couple off slightly steep switchbacks which made starting at the south end kinda fun.
For those of you who do not have a 4wd or large tires, no worrys.. This trail is do able think it took like 2hrs or so, I was realy suprised to see tourists in rental cars going down. Crazy in my opinion but they made it.
20160630_160927.jpg 20160630_163125.jpg

Last edited:

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

How was the air quality down there due to the fire? When i drove the trail I started at Andrew Miles State Park and seen a Tesla driving up the road. Not sure if he made all the way. The road was pretty muddy in some spots due to the recent rains in winter when I went. The trip just took me just 50 minutes with a few stops. I only seen a few vehicles on the road that day. I didnt have any transaction issues so I didn't air down.

1largemouth

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Martinez
Member #

We went there before the fires, luckily... You seen a tesla! crazy... yea traction wasn't realy an issue more of just the ride at some points in the beginning. Besides I just got the arb deflator so what better opportunity! Lol... I guess the drive would have been alot faster but there were quite a few people coming down and my luck the run ins were in narrow parts of the road, one family was coming down about 20in from Bixby Bridge and knew I was not able to back up so they backed there rental car right into a bush almost into a tree... Cool spot though!

Reactions: Mike G

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I'm sure most people know but I just passed thru hwy 1 and all state parks and the National Forest is completely closed on the mountain side of hwy 1 due to the Soberanes Fire. Even as far south as Gorda. Most likely until the rainy season starts.