• HTML tutorial

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

Hi All,

Recently my wife has been diagnosed with some severe anxiety and had trouble going to work and working through the anxiety. She's taking medication and is doing other stress and anxiety relieving things and is starting to work through it. She loves to hit up the national parks and go exploring so I figure this would be as good a time as any to plan a trip to her parents place in Montana to help her overcome those issues. The trip is to Red Lodge Montana from Oklahoma City OK. Planning on leaving either July 5 in the afternoon or July 6th early in the morning. As for time frame to get to Red Lodge we've got until July 12th but really I'd like to get there around July 9th or 10th because there's some trails in that area that I know I want to hit. Here's a link to the general route I would like to take. https://tinyurl.com/y7e87456 Leaving from OKC I think we'll take the Oklahoma Adventure Trail to the Washita Battlefield, depending on when we leave we may camp there for the night or continue on to Colorado Springs to stay with some family for a night and explore the area the following day hitting Pike's Peak and some trails nearby. After we're done there we're going to head to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. I saw the river trail in the Tetons and that looked very nice. We've been to Yellowstone before so not a huge priority to stay overnight there since I imagine it'll be crazy packed. Leave out the North Exit of Yellowstone and over the Beartooth Pass and into Red Lodge.

As for a vehicle I have a 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 and have been able to take it a few times to an off road park nearby to learn my limits and begin to explore the trucks capabilities. It's bone stock except for the OB emblem and the sports bar with lights on top.

I got a couple of the Plano totes to toss in all the cargo so it's not loose in the bed. We have an 8 person tent that we bought a few years ago and never used, yeah I know 8 person tent for 2 people I'm not sure how we ended up with that. Trying to talk the wife into getting a truck bed tent or a couple of hammocks. I also have a basic tow rope and a few 5 gallon gas cans. I've been hitting the site and other camping sites hard to start to get all the necessary basics acquired. I haven't gone camping for more than a quick overnight trip in close to 10 years. I have an iPhone for work on at&t and a person Android phone on Google Fi. I've added Gaia to both and will be studying up on it.

Looking for any advice, route recommendations, things to stop and see, resources for finding the off road trails to more remote places, navigation tools, and of course anything and everything else will be highly appreciated!

As we move through the trip/planning I'll be sure to share pics.

Reactions: hjason.hay

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

@hjason.hay We've been up to Red Lodge a lot and have hit up the surrounding areas. We normally fly into Billings and have a rental so most of the exploration is limited to paved areas. I plan on hitting up a trail around Cooke City just north of Yellowstone as well as going up Hellroaring Road to the Hellroaring Plateau. May do the Meeteetsee trail just south of the town that takes you over to Belfry towards Cody WY. I've done that one in a Polaris a couple of times.

Ntgm37

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wyoming
Member #

I live in Cody, Wy. You should make a trip here before you head home. It's only an hour from Red Lodge. We have an awesome museum with some sweet fire arms. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Reactions: Hirvy

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

@Ntgm37 I love going to Cody. We usually go there when we're up. The St. Patty's parade was really fun a few years back. Sunlight Sports is my favorite store. We may skip Yellowstone and Tetons this trip due to some changes in time constraints and how packed I imagine they'll be the weekend following July 4th and go around which would put us through there. I'm sure we'll stop into Cody at some point and would love to meet some local folks. I came across the Morrison Jeep trail last night and it looks to be pretty epic but not something I'd want to tackle alone. I've also heard there's some dunes near by but haven't been able to locate those on a map.

Ntgm37

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wyoming
Member #

@Ntgm37 I love going to Cody. We usually go there when we're up. The St. Patty's parade was really fun a few years back. Sunlight Sports is my favorite store. We may skip Yellowstone and Tetons this trip due to some changes in time constraints and how packed I imagine they'll be the weekend following July 4th and go around which would put us through there. I'm sure we'll stop into Cody at some point and would love to meet some local folks. I came across the Morrison Jeep trail last night and it looks to be pretty epic but not something I'd want to tackle alone. I've also heard there's some dunes near by but haven't been able to locate those on a map.
I think the Morrison is closed indefinitely. A retired couple rolled their side by side last summer all the way down and didn't make it unfortunately. After that the Forrest Service shut it down but mostly because they don't want to maintain the road so the accident sealed the deal allegedly. Not sure of any dunes nearby other than the ones at St. Anthony in Idaho. Only a couple hour drive from Yellowstone but worth it if your wanting to go to some dunes.

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

Oh man sorry to hear that about the couple and that sucks it's closed now.

Have some family friends that were talking about something down near the river in Cody they took their Polaris RZR. Don't think they went to Idaho but I'll keep that in mind.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

Well, haven't seen much action from the folks around here..... But here's a few pics from along the way. @Ntgm37 message me if you wanna meet up this week. Will likely make it to Cody sometime this week. IMG_20180707_184604569_HDR.jpegDSC_0124.JPGIMG_20180706_071951853_HDR.jpegDSC_0213.JPGDSC_0221.JPGDSC_0164.JPGDSC_0031.JPGIMG_20180707_132109664.jpegDSC_0026.JPGDSC_0004.JPGDSC_0130.JPGIMG_20180706_081349589_HDR.jpegDSC_0217.JPGIMG_20180707_175001301_HDR.jpeg

Sent using OB Talk mobile app

Ntgm37

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wyoming
Member #

Looks great so far! I'm going camping Friday night, but if you're in town during the day Friday I'd love to grab a beer!

Reactions: Hirvy