Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
The wife and I picked up this 05 Explorer last year to replace our beloved but rapidly aging 94 Montero SR. At first we had no intention of building up a rig but our shared love for camping and my love of everything off road has pushed us to find a way to combine the two.

Now, we're going into this project knowing full well the Explorer isn't on the level the Monty was. Front and rear independent suspension, no air lockers, less ground clearance, and a nearly non-existant aftermarket are the challenges we face. That said, the Explorer has a lot going for it. The level of comfort is great for eating up thousands of miles. The 4.6 modular V8 offers all the power we need and decent enough fuel economy, and replacement parts are available pretty much everywhere. Lots of Mustang performance parts fit as well, so there's always fun to be had. The Ford 8.8 rear end and Dana Super 30 front are plenty beefy for our needs, and different gearing and rear lockers are readily available. And best of all, there's plenty of room for all of our gear. I'm honestly amazed at what we've managed to fit in the back and still have room for our dogs.

Planned modifications include:

32" tires, 17" Soft 8s
Spartan rear locker
BTF Fabrication spacer lift (about 1.5" overall)
F-150 front recovery points (they're a direct bolt-on)
Custom skid plates and rock sliders from a local fabricator
Hidden (more like recessed) winch
Safari rack
LED auxilliary lighting
DIY snorkel, because nobody makes one (the stock intake is very low and even the shallowest of water crossings can kill an Explorer)
DIY interior storage system
Indel fridge/freezer (maybe, eventually)
Isolated dual battery (if we upgrade to the fridge)
LG G-Pad 7.0 tablet with 64gb SD card - GPS, trail maps, dashcam, media

We started with the interior storage since we camp nearly every weekend and it's a way for us to figure out what works and what doesn't. We built a drawer setup with two drawers, each with 3 cu ft of storage. We removed the third row seats, which left a ton of room under the drawers for extra storage and I was still able to keep the 12" sub, because my tunes. Up above is a deck that will eventually have D rings (have em, gotta mount em) for securing an Ozark Trail camp kitchen (identical to the Camp Chef Sherpa but way cheaper) and a sliding mount for the fuel and water cans. The passenger rear seat has been removed and in its place we have a 70qt Coleman 5-day cooler. An Indel fridge may occupy that space at some point but for now the cooler works fine and it's entirely possible we won't even replace it. The only real motivation is not having to buy ice, though that in itself would eventually pay for the fridge.

I haven't bought slides for the drawers yet and the whole thing still needs painted, but overall it's very useable and seems to work well for us. The best part is the truck is always packed. We get ice and whatever groceries we need, pack some clothes and hit the road. Easy peasy.

We've also started a DIY awning using a 10x20 tarp that can also cover our tent if the weather turns super shitty, and poles built from Sch 40 PVC. The poles are kinda heavy so we're looking for lightweight alternatives, but overall the setup works well. I'll get some pics of the setup tomorrow but for now here's some pics of the Explorer and where we're at so far:

Last edited:

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Went to the local pick n pull to look for some cross bars for the roof rack. For some reason a lot of 3rd and 4th gen Explorers didn't have them, despite having the side rails. Anyway, found just one 3rd gen on the whole lot and it happened to have the cross bars. Winning! Got them mounted, now I just need to get a basket up there. Sooooo looking forward to that one, we'll be able to throw bulky stuff like the chairs and tent up there.

We were supposed to have thunderstorms but we got sunshine and humidity instead. Threw the awning up anyway, or half of it. Didn't see the point of putting the whole thing up when we weren't even going to put the fly on the tent. Haha.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Nice! For some reason I had the idea these were smaller. Lots of roomy in that sucker

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Alright, well we have a roof rack on order and that should be here by Friday. We also have a Keeper 15 cubic foot weatherproof bag on the way. I found one used for $30, and after reading a bunch of positive reviews I figured it would be worth a shot. Seems like it should be plenty big enough to hold all of our tent, sleeping bags, air mattress, chairs, etc.

The rest of the mods will have to wait until later next year. Turns out we've a little Ogre on the way, and I guess I couldn't be happier to not have money to put into the Ex haha. We'll be looking for a bigger place, plus all the baby-related shit, so my hands are gonna be full for a while!

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
The roof rack and Keeper both came yesterday so I got the rack mounted up this afternoon. I went with a Bison rack and it seems like it should suit our needs. I did read that the Bison/Curt/Arksen rack suffers from horrible rust issues as a result of water getting inside the tubing. To remedy this I sprayed the rack with bedliner and sealed all of the seams with black RTV.

I actually think it looks pretty good, length and width almost look like it was made for the Ex haha.

I need to fab up some mounts for the awning but other than that, this is it for this year. Once the baby is born and we get moved into a new place I'll be able to put money into her again. Tires, skids, sliders, lift, lighting... So much to do.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Went simple for the awning mounts, just some U bolts. There's not much weight to support since it's just PVC pipe that extends out and the tarp attaches to a bolt on each end with wing nuts. I sprayed the outer pipe with bedliner but ran out before I got to the endcaps. Still doesn't look too bad, though.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
I was hoping the next update I posted would be a positive one. With the baby due in May I haven't done any work on the Explorer but I had money set aside for a fridge install, tires, a different roof rack, lighting, and a new awning. I was waiting for warmer weather to do anynofnthe work but none of that is happening, because the Explorer is very dead.

This is the last pic I took while testing out Gaia on some local level B roads a few weeks ago.

And this was yesterday after I was T boned by a Toyota Tundra. Nobody's fault, just really icy roads. I got pretty lucky, if he had hit further forward I probably would have taken a trip to the hospital. This pic doesn't really show it but the rear end is shifted a couple inches to the right.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Yeah I was excited myself. This was one of those vehicles you don't see in the overlanding community.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though. Insurance should cover the payoff on the loan and leave me a little bit for a down payment. There's an 05 Pathfinder at my wife's work that's just begging to be molested.

john casson

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Danville CA
Member #

Yeah I was excited myself. This was one of those vehicles you don't see in the overlanding community.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though. Insurance should cover the payoff on the loan and leave me a little bit for a down payment. There's an 05 Pathfinder at my wife's work that's just begging to be molested.
Did you get the pathfinder ?

Sent from my SM-G920T using OB Talk mobile app

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Did you get the pathfinder ?

Sent from my SM-G920T using OB Talk mobile app
Sadly, no. Checked out the Pathfinder, an Xterra, and even a Frontier and I felt really cramped in them even with the driver seat all the way back. And getting the infant seat to fit meant moving the passenger forward, quite a bit, which was a no go for my wife's long legs. We're not small people so we really just need something bigger.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
So I didn't mention what we ended up buying to replace the Explorer. Our current needs dictate we have something with plenty of room for the kid, the dogs, all our gear, etc. And most importantly we need something reliable and somewhat fuel efficient since it's my daily and I rack up a lot of miles. We settled on a 2014 Chevy Traverse LT which, in all honesty, isn't my first or even fifth choice. I had my eye on some other vehicles but we got a good deal on it and aside from not being even a little bit off road capable it meets our current needs. And, despite the fact that it's not going to get us up Black Bear Pass anytime soon... or ever... you can bet your ass we'll still be packing it up with all our gear and finding ourselves some back roads to get lost on.