Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Hey guys American here living in the UK now and not really been able to find any website for long stretches of off-road trails etc, someone was telling me it is more like the Iceland system here with the F class roads? Are there maps for all the roads you need a 4x4 to travel on etc? Looking at trying to line up a few days worth of off-road driving but planning the trips has proven pretty difficult with most folks just listing off offroad parks.

On top of all this, I am looking at knocking out the North Coast 500, and maybe taking a trip to cover the Orkney and Shetlands. I have taken my old Mazda up to Skye for photography 3 times now so I am really pumped to get the Jeep in and start staying up in the highlands a bit longer as well as exploring Snowdonia and the Lake District. If anyone has routes they can suggest or websites to help keep the tires on dirt instead of pavement during these trips I would appreciate it!

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello ......,

Welcome, this is a point. There are no maps available for that. Except...... when you are a member of Glass.
They have all the info on the tracks in all the UK

https://www.glass-uk.org/

Get a membership and have good and responcible fun.

Greetings from Robert

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Google Os maps join and look for The old boats by ways open to all traffic still loads on there or just buy. An OS MAP OF THE AREA YOUR TRAVERLING TOO Explore this great little island its still got some suprizes out there Eryri Being my favorite. Or landranger maps WELCOME

Ken (Bones)

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Try using a map apps like MAPS.ME i-overlander and Galileo.

I was in the same boat when we done Scotland last year, so did not really get to go off road.

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

Another option for mapping is to use OSM
But as you mentioned your looking for something which shows the trails,
As Robert mentioned (and i mentioned on FB group) - Joining GLASS is a good way to do it as you will then be given access to "Trailwise" which has a database for offroad trails (and if they have been updated with TRO's)

Another option is to look at your local council website for "A byway open to all traffic, or BOAT" some districts post them :)

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
Anyone got any favourites?

The problem we have round here is there are some good fun BOAT's but generally they are no more than a mile long, hardly overlanding territory.

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
I remember reading a few years ago in one of the GLASS magazines that the longest public Green Lane in the UK is between 8 and 9 miles, Rutland Rigg in Yorkshire IIRC.

A rather pathetic distance by all measures :(

Reactions: PCPics

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I think The Wayfarer, Happy valley and Bomberlane are longer.
And, if you make a very nice route to, between and from all those lanes, you can have a great weekend, week or more.
I can make a weeks event with lanes in the Netherlands, with cultural sightseeings, great food and more. And yes, our lanes are even shorter, way shorter. But in winter they can be lots of fun.

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
The Wayfarer is only about 6 miles isn't it? If it's the same one I remember. Happy Valley you are right on though, in comparison it's massive - a good one I'd forgotten thanks for refreshing my memory!. I think Bomber Lane has been closed for a bit now though following a landslide but I haven't done any research in that area for a bit.

Alex

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Come with us next year to Spain. Bardenas Reales and the Pyrenees.
That will be fun.

D3Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Canterbury, UK
Member #

I'll be trying the Wayfarer in a few days as heading to Wales for a week's holiday. I'll be looking out for other trails as well.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

With all the legal stuff going on and TROs, both permanent and temporary, we're slowly loosing all the great tracks.
If you're looking for advice for lanes to drive in the Lake District, take a look at Cumbria Councils Hierarchy of Trails web pages, lots of good info and plenty of lanes to string together a trip for a few days.
I know I don't need to say, but I'll also add, please take note of the Code of Conduct.

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

I remember reading a few years ago in one of the GLASS magazines that the longest public Green Lane in the UK is between 8 and 9 miles, Rutland Rigg in Yorkshire IIRC.

A rather pathetic distance by all measures :(
Not sure if old coach road is still open or not in lakes and that is 10 miles long....but last time I went on it ....it was looking well worn...not sure if it is open anymore

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Not sure if old coach road is still open or not in lakes and that is 10 miles long....but last time I went on it ....it was looking well worn...not sure if it is open anymore
Still legal, but suffers quite a bit of damage in one area (lots of suggestions of landowner deliberately digging holes in the track !!!) that make it difficult without doing more damage.

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

Like a previous message said...glass or your local council officer is best bet. You will have to pay for a membership for glass but the council sites are free...just download the map pages you need. The Lake District is a good one.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Lancahsire ROW map - not the easiest to use - was better a few years ago - but still gives you the ability to check legal "drive-ability".

Each councils ROW Officer and the Definitive Map are the best way.