Offroad from Los Angeles to Las Vegas

• HTML tutorial

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

Hello im heading to Vegas to visit family and I was wondering if there is an offroad route I could take to make it more interesting. If anyone could share that with me I would be greatly appreciative.
Also any caveats for the route would also be appreciated.
Thx

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
It depends on how much time you have to spend off road. I have done, over time most of it, just not in one trip. Where would you be leaving LA from? East from the Inland Empire area or north through Palmdale or Mojave? To make a really fun trip, I would leave out of Mojave through the California City area cross 395 then past Fremont peak, make a stop at the Husky Monument, then on to Inscription Canyon, through the gold fields north of Barstow, cut over to Mannix Wash, hook up with the Mojave Road to the Colorado River, then dealers choice on trails to Las Vegas. Too many to list. This would make a pretty epic Mojave Desert trip.

TOMB

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Need to do it soon before the heat sets in.

TOMB

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Raptor would be fine, you could do it in 3-4 full days of driving. No time for side trips though, just a lot of driving.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Yeah, based on @TOMB 's recommendation, it would work if you decided what of those things you would want to see and then divert off highway specifically to see those things.
If you pass through Baker, you could easily drop down Kelbaker road to drive up and see the Lava tube, and then continue past that to an old cinder mine and on through a very cool Joshua tree forest to drive up to a cool old mining site (Evening Star Mine) and the on to Cima at I-15.
That would take at least a half day, whereas on the freeway it's about 30 minutes.
Pick and choose and string some things together.
You could easily find a spot to camp if you're prepared for that.

Baker_lavatube_mines.png

And definitely Raptor-friendly. Take water!

Dan.

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

Yeah, based on @TOMB 's recommendation, it would work if you decided what of those things you would want to see and then divert off highway specifically to see those things.
If you pass through Baker, you could easily drop down Kelbaker road to drive up and see the Lava tube, and then continue past that to an old cinder mine and on through a very cool Joshua tree forest to drive up to a cool old mining site (Evening Star Mine) and the on to Cima at I-15.
That would take at least a half day, whereas on the freeway it's about 30 minutes.
Pick and choose and string some things together.
You could easily find a spot to camp if you're prepared for that.

View attachment 99731

And definitely Raptor-friendly. Take water!

Dan.
That sounds like something I can fit. Been hearing about those lava tubes. Thanks guys I really appreciate hope helpful everyone is here. [emoji4]

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My mother and sister live in Vegas. I'm out there every other month. I've done a few routes between here and there. I could do it straight through in two days, three if you stopped a few spots. I do have to freeway it out past apple valley. The issue is, I have not found a straight route. I can on the other hand find all kinds of direct roads in the wrong direction.
Sometimes driving home in Vegas holiday traffic, I wish for a good dirt road. My record coming home is 9hr's on a 3.5hr drive.
As everyone said, all kinds of things to see there.

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

My mother and sister live in Vegas. I'm out there every other month. I've done a few routes between here and there. I could do it straight through in two days, three if you stopped a few spots. I do have to freeway it out past apple valley. The issue is, I have not found a straight route. I can on the other hand find all kinds of direct roads in the wrong direction.
Sometimes driving home in Vegas holiday traffic, I wish for a good dirt road. My record coming home is 9hr's on a 3.5hr drive.
As everyone said, all kinds of things to see there.
Omg 9.5 hrs! I think in going to cry. [emoji25]

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I guess ther isn't a road that can be done in a day.
If you go to Baker, turn out towards the Mojave road then turn left towards the new york mountains. work your way towards vegas and pick up the freeway again near state line. Some freeway and some desert. long day though.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Anyone try leaving in middle of night? Any relief or million others thinking the same lol
I stupidly left at 11am to go home. Ive left at 7am and gone straight home. It was thanksgiving weekend two years ago

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Yeah, I've driven that route many times, I avoid Sunday like the plague unless I can get through Vegas no later than 9AM.
But on any kind of a holiday, I'll add an extra vacation day just to avoid the end of a weekend.

Why don't those rich hotel owners put in a commuter train from LA to Vegas! It would be a cash factory!

I digress! Have a fun drive.

Dan.

TOMB

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Power line roads are your friend, except sometimes they can be gated. Dan and I ran into that not long ago. Hola Dan!

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
When I used to live in L.A. once coming back from Vegas there was a parking lot on 40, all lanes closed due to accident, so I found my way off the freeway, over some desert onto rt66 took it and desert for a few miles and back on 40, I thought I was the smartest man in the world! Other times been pulled over by an airplane with no traffic....go figure.

Jim

Reactions: smritte

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

Nice, I ended up leaving at 1am took 4hrs. I couldn't risk my sanity over traffick. [emoji16] I appreciate everyone's advice. Thank you all