Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Ok. Obviously there is no plan for this in any way shape or form. Not one that I am aware of, anyway. But I saw the pictures from The West Coast version and am seeing early interest in an East Coast. Both are still way to far for me, being in Central Texas. This thread could flop and that is fine. But how much interest would there be in something South Central?

I am currently planning some Texas things and my year is pretty crazy. But I would be down for trying to put together something for those of us in the south. Who is tentatively interested in imaging something like this happening? :)

Reactions: Conrad318

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

The east coast event wouldn't necessarily be closer than a gulf coast event for me depending on where so yeah, I would be interested.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I just said Gulf Coast since the theme is coastal. East Coast, West Coast, you get the point. ;). It would probably be more central. Off the top of my head, fall in the Ozarks could be fun. Or Kansas. I don't know. I'm just spit ballin'. I don't even know if it would happen at this point. Just wanted to see if there was interest. If there is, I may work on getting something going.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Ozarks would be a good option. A couple of rigs from my normal overloading group did an Ozarks overland challenge last spring and won. Looked like it was a lot of fun. I'm actually from KS so wouldn't mind something there either but it would be a haul from central FL.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'm two thirds serious and a third just venting about the fact that almost all overland themed events, apart from small things we do in our state, happen at minimum 20 hours driving away. Would love to do something sizable that doesn't require a week off from work and $$$$$ in gas to get to.

Reactions: Lars

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I get where you are coming from. We have to drive about 10 hours to get to any kind of event and further to get to the really good events. Took a week off to go out to Moab several years back, 5K mile round trip with several days of wheeling in 10 days about killed me on long trips like that.

Conrad318

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I would definately be up for a Gulf Coast Meet. Also planning on spending two weeks in Moab in April and a few weeks after the overland expo west in arizona.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'm in Iowa, so it wouldn't be a stretch for me. Have you looked at the trails in Arkansas? I read about some places on another forum and it looks pretty interesting. Ozarks would be cool.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Third Coast FTW!!!! And depending on dates, I could be down for an off the grid! Let's convince the whole Gulf Coast region to Overland to Big Bend!!!! :)

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I get where you are coming from. We have to drive about 10 hours to get to any kind of event and further to get to the really good events. Took a week off to go out to Moab several years back, 5K mile round trip with several days of wheeling in 10 days about killed me on long trips like that.
Lol. I have to drive 10 hours just to leave my home state..... ;) (ok it's not QUITE that bad.... only 8)

luke01

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

I have done a run down to South Padre Island then run north along the beach to the jetty cut. I have also taken the ferry over into Port Aransas and south. There are tons of drivable beaches along the Texas Gulf Coast. I have spent a few nights camped out on Quintana beach down near Surfside. Its kimd of the wols west out there so its better to go in a group.

I am almost always up for a run from Dallas to the gulf.

Reactions: Lars and Conrad318

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Lol. I have to drive 10 hours just to leave my home state..... ;) (ok it's not QUITE that bad.... only 8)
This is true. Depending on where I am headed it can take me up to 8 hours from my house to leave the state of FL.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I've done the run down North Padre Island, which is also a fantastic place to camp. You can do 60 miles on the beach down to the mansfield channel from the Park office at Malaquite Beach.

camping around the 35 mile mark.

The blue sign behind the line of trucks is the 60 mile mark.

Reactions: Conrad318

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Went to camp on North Padre once when I was a kid but was so windy that day we ended going and getting a hotel on South Padre.

luke01

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

This is true. Depending on where I am headed it can take me up to 8 hours from my house to leave the state of FL.
LOL I am looking at 12 hours of West Texas highways and yes the speed limits are 85 in some sections.

I would be up for a play date or three in PINS. I have always wanted to explore east of High Island to see how far you can go. I do know the tide will play a huge factor in this and how quickly the surf can destroy a vehicle if it gets stuck in a bad spot