Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

i really enjoy snowshoeing but the appeal of traveling a little faster in the snow sounds great , anybody have any experience with backcountry crosscounty skiing ? Like brands of skis that work well for the money aka quality over a brand name . tips that make backcountry travel more enjoyable ect ect.

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

I have some rosignol ot 65. They have partial metal edges and are just narrow enough to fit in groomed tracks but wide enough for extra float in the backcountry. Nnnbc bindings. Good setup. Id go wider next time since i almost never use groomed trails.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have some rosignol ot 65. They have partial metal edges and are just narrow enough to fit in groomed tracks but wide enough for extra float in the backcountry. Nnnbc bindings. Good setup. Id go wider next time since i almost never use groomed trails.
I've been interested in learning to crosscountry ski for a couple years now. Are there groomed trails that don't have tracks? or are all groomed trails tracked?

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

I've been interested in learning to crosscountry ski for a couple years now. Are there groomed trails that don't have tracks? or are all groomed trails tracked?
Groomed could mean side by side tracks or could be a big flat track for skate skiing. Some of the "back country" trails around here never get machine groomed but develop rough tracks after a few uses and no new snow.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Groomed could mean side by side tracks or could be a big flat track for skate skiing. Some of the "back country" trails around here never get machine groomed but develop rough tracks after a few uses and no new snow.
so for someone starting out, would you recommend the setup you currently use for the versatility or commit to one side or the other?

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

If you are a big guy person or carrying a heavy load, the middle product doesnt do well in powder. Otherwise, i think most compromise sets are good. Tracks are about 70-90mm wide. Keep that in mind when buying skiis if you ever want to use them in tracks. There is an area close to me that has backcountry trails, but you need to take groomed trails to get to them. I wish i would have gotten wider skiis since im 200 lbs, but imnot racing so im never really in a hurry. Like most compromises, you get the good and bad from both worlds.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

If you are a big guy person or carrying a heavy load, the middle product doesnt do well in powder. Otherwise, i think most compromise sets are good. Tracks are about 70-90mm wide. Keep that in mind when buying skiis if you ever want to use them in tracks. There is an area close to me that has backcountry trails, but you need to take groomed trails to get to them. I wish i would have gotten wider skiis since im 200 lbs, but imnot racing so im never really in a hurry. Like most compromises, you get the good and bad from both worlds.
Cool. I'm 200, losing weight so shouldn't be there for too much longer. I'm in New England so I don't know that we have as many backcountry spots.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Found out there's a place up the hill from me before you get to the mountain that will rent a cross-country setup for 30 bucks a day so I think I'm going to try that first try a couple different styles out for I decide on something

Reactions: MA_Trooper