Off road camper

• HTML tutorial

peteillingworth

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
Member #

Thought has just occured to me and I would like the opinions of the group, would it be do able to get myself a second hand trailer tent and somehow uprate the suspension and tyres to make it capable of some 'gentle' green laning / wild camping ?

Its just a thought while I am sat here at home watching the rain.

Vagnarok

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rainworth
Depends how hard you offroad I guess. A trailer tent chassis is not really up to it. There would be way too much twist on the frame. I have a well built dutch one here and it flexes quite a lot.

II was going to build my own based on a small military trailer axle which originally carried a generator unit.

Its mounted just like the trailer tent Indespension types but has a heavy duty tube between them which is much more suited to light off road use.

It has standard 4x98pcd hubs and is braked also. Making it good for any future regulation changes.

I have since decided to concentrate on on-board storage so the axle us for sale. Let me know if it is something you can use.

peteillingworth

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
Member #

did'nt think it was doable really, just sat here bored thinking about stuff, dedicated offroad camping trailers seen way too expensive for the amount of time I would actually use one , I am getting a bit past crawling out of a tent on my hands and knees so thinking about alternatives

Vagnarok

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rainworth
I don't see why not. As long as the frame is rigid enough.

Depends how you build it. But if you are putting a roof tent on it a steel framed structure triangulated at key points should be up to the task.

I guess it depends on your use.

Reactions: Jakes2514