Off-line Tablet | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Off-line Tablet

Discussion in 'Overland Navigation' started by Free-Roemer, Nov 6, 2018.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Free-Roemer

Free-Roemer Rank I

Member #:

Map
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab E. Once I get mounts for it, I’d love to use it as my go-to GPS. Now, I normally (and probably will continually) use Google Maps on my iPhone for street/highway driving. I’m looking for recommendations/advice for apps and external gps systems to successfully navigate around without getting a cellular plan or WiFi for my tablet. I already have a 256 gig micro sandisk for movies on deployment. So I have plenty of space. I just would like guidance from here.
    Thanks, 14321

2. Jedi

Jedi NorthWest Region Representative
    Moderator Member Supporter

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    K6JDI
    Map
    My recommendation is to use Gaia GPS and a bluetooth receiver, such as the Dual Electronics receiver. Gaia GPS will allow you to select map areas while you are online to download for offline use.

Graeman, metsuri and MoreGone like this.
  3. MoreGone

MoreGone Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    Precisely what I was going to suggest.

Graeman likes this.
  4. Wolfy

Wolfy Rank III

Map
    Yes Gaia. Honestly, the built in GPS in iPhones has been more than good enough for my needs. I use an iPad Mini4 running Gaia GPS. Even my old iPhone 6 was more than accurate enough to guide us down the Mojave Road.

5. Rapidan

Rapidan Rank I

Map
    A Garmin InReach will can bluetooth to your tablet and provide great mapping with their Earthmate app. No cell signal or wireless needed. Earthmate allows you to to download various maps, including USGS quads, all for free. You do, however, need a subscription for the InReach, it's reasonable if you're regularly out of cell range. I currently use an iPhone for the mapping component but I'm considering an iPad mini for a little extra scale and visibility. Works great!

Obi-Juan likes this.
  6. Obi-Juan

Obi-Juan Rank IV
    Member Supporter

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
    Member #:

Map
    DITTO! A huge safety benefit is that the InReach also gives you access to two-way coms with emergency services via GEOS Iridium Satelite System when you out of cell service off grid.

Whiteout and Rapidan like this.
  7. Rapidan

Rapidan Rank I

Map
    Ha, yeah, I forgot to mention that part! My wife actually won this InReach in a sweepstakes, she is quite grateful that I have communications during my off-grid adventures. You can text message with the InReach, it has an SOS button, you can even post to Facebook if you really wanted to. A very nice device indeed.

8. nomad666

nomad666 Rank 0

I also have a tab E and use google offline maps and Maps.Me has worked well for me so far.
    I do prefer google maps as its easy to setup routes on your home computer and then send em to your tablet.
    I also like the sat maps for google maps just lots of options to play with.

9. JDGreens

JDGreens Rank III

Member #:

Map
    My wife has a nook tablet that I loaded Back Country Navigator pro on. I also bought the Treks southern Colorado maps for it. Worked great for down in Ouray. The only problem with it for me is the being a nook it doesn't have a lot of opperating memory so you have to only load the tiles you currant are going to use. Might be I'm not that great with know how to use the tab a cause I bought a 64k sim card for it and don't understand how to us the storage???. But it did work surprisingly well for such a cheap tablet.

10. MazeVX

MazeVX Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    For Android I would recommend using Locus Map Pro and an external GPS receiver like the ones from "navilock"
    Higher stability and accuracy than the internal GPS chips.
    Probably the most used system in europe gaia is the alternative if you stuck to Apple ;-)

11. Laud

Laud Rank IV

Member #:

Map
    Most favored paid app is Gaia.
    I have been using the free app, Maps.me. The big difference though, I build all my routes way before leaving.

As mentioned, your tablet will either need a GPS Chip, or a tethered unit. I am using my iPad Air WiFi only and it is BT paired to a Dual Electronics Sat Receiver puck. Works great for me.

Rapidan likes this.
  12. Free-Roemer

Free-Roemer Rank I

Member #:

Map
    I appreciate all this feedback. Looks like I’ve got more decisions than I thought.

MazeVX likes this.
  13. BWSmith

BWSmith Rank I

Map
    The Galaxy Tab S3 is an older Samsung tablet that supports external memory cards up to 256 GB and had an excellent GPS receiver. I use Backcountry Navigator and have downloaded maps by State for western states. Each state map takes about 1.5 to 2.5 GB at a reasonable level of detail (10-14). The system works perfectly off-grid. FWIW.

14. BWSmith

BWSmith Rank I

Map
    By the way, the map style I prefer and have found most useful is Accuterra single layer land use maps. These maps integrate nice shading along with excellent contour maps at higher resolutions.
    The benefit to these maps is that they show land use clearly, that is, private, state, or the various types of federal management.
    I have also found their off road road, Forest service and BLM road and trail maps to be as good as anything else I've seen that has broad usage. YMMV.

Pyrotech and xplorr like this.
  15. xplorr

xplorr Rank II

Member #:

Map
    I could be wrong, but I believe that is the same map layer as "NeoTreks Land Use" in Gaia GPS. I agree, that is a nice map with thorough trail coverage.

16. BWSmith

BWSmith Rank I

Map
    Yes. I think you are right. I understand they changed names or maybe they were acquired.

17. Wanderer

Wanderer Rank 0

Map
    I made the mistake of going to zoom level 15 and when ever i use those maps it wont zoom that far . How many tiles does a 2.5 gig map take up?

18. BWSmith

BWSmith Rank I

Map
    Use the magnifier in the left corner X1 or X2. That brings zoom level 14 into reasonable detail. I do download level 15 for specific areas I know I'm going to visit, but it's really not necessary.

19. Ocean State Overland

Member #:

Map
    I use Gaia GPS with a Bad Elf pro+ on my wifi only ipad

20. overl4nd

overl4nd Rank I

Member #:

Map
    I use Osm and with downloaded maps in most places.
    For no road navigation (eg flats), OSMAND works okay as you can lay down your track, but ORUXMAPS is what I use for that as it has lot of no road navigation features.

For example, once crossing the Rann of Kutch(Little Rann) I borrowed a gpx from a friend, and navigated the same route without getting lost (Easy to get lost in 100km+ salt flat)