Odd noise coming from our patriot. Thoughts on what it could be.

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We have been noticing an odd noise when your driving lately. It's hard to describe but it is an intermitant whrrring noise. that comes and goes. Sometimes with brakes. not a rumble but ------ ------- ----- ------ ------ like that pattern. I am thinking either wheel bearing or cv joint. but I had a wheel bearing gone in the escape and it was a constant noise, not like the pattern I posted. Any ideas?

Jeep jeeep

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
Did you recently put a light bar on? They're known to cause a odd hum. If so try pointing it slightly down. I thought I had a CV or bearing issue also, drove me nuts trying to figure it out.

Jeep jeeep

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
No, I never installed anything on the rig. sounds to be coming from the front end of the vehicle however.
Ours was, note was, a 2wd and had a similar sound. Wound up being the bearing and had to replace the entire hub, don't remember why think it's a sealed unit. But being a 2wd it wasn't a big deal and the parts weren't that expensive. Wish I could give more detail but it was a couple of years ago and done quickly so I could get top dollar trade in. Upgraded to a Wrangler unlimited. Best of luck and hope it's cheap and easy

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

My wife's Patriot is a 2015 High Altitude 4wd. I just changed the oil last weekend at 95,000 miles. Man that has been a trouble free rig and it just eats snow. It's been one of the best vehicles we've ever owned. It has copper spark plugs that need changed every 40,000 or so. 20 minute job.

What year is yours? How many miles?

Best of luck.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Ours is 2015 altitude and you are correct. It’s an extremely reliable rig. I’m thinking it’s a wheel bearing just starting to go. Also. The plug thing is right too. 40k. Replace them and enjoy a totally different rig again. Ours has 98k Kms on it.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Found out what it is. The tires. They are worn very choppy on the inside of the wheel. New tires for next year, plus some more overlanding additions going on it over this winter.
If just the insides of the tires are worn get an alignment before you get tires so you don't wear out the new tires too.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
If just the insides of the tires are worn get an alignment before you get tires so you don't wear out the new tires too.
Yes, it's going in soon for some suspension work. Daystar 1.5" lift, new monroe struts, rear dog bones and a few other odds and ends. It will also get an alignment then as well. Just waiting for the winter tire change over to do it.

Reactions: 64Trvlr