Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Gonna try keep politics out of this one but good move Obama.

President Barack Obama is granting national monument status to nearly 1.8 million acres of scenic Southern California desert, a move the White House says will maintain in perpetuity the region's fragile ecosystem and natural resources, as well as provide recreational opportunities for hikers, campers, hunters and others.

Source

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike G

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Wonder what impact it will have on OHV use

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Ive read a few stories. But haven't seen anything about trail closures or ohv use. Though what I've read says is recreational opportunities will be created. Hunters campers and hikers. Though Fienstein heavily backed this and she is not supportive of our sport/hobby at all.

This is a reason why tread lightly is so important. If we won't do it the government will do this and will continue to do this . I'm all for conservation and believe it is needed, however I tend to worry when things start to get overly regulated

Last edited:

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I've seen a few maps, and it's hard to tell but it looks like parts of Mojave Road have been included in this.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

That's my bad, my source link wasn't good. If you click it now its got the full story.
I've seen a few maps, and it's hard to tell but it looks like parts of Mojave Road have been included in this.
From the article

"In all, he will name three specific regions national monuments — Mojave Trails, Castle Mountains (both in the Mojave Desert) and Sand to Snow in the Sonoran Desert."

"The designations will also connect those regions to other protected government land, including Joshua Tree National Park, the Mojave National Preserve and 15 other federal wilderness areas. Mojave Trails National Monument, at 1.6 million acres, is by far the largest of the three new ones."

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Well it's good if your not into using your vehicle to see any of the desert.
From everything I keep reading ohv will not be allowed. Being that the Sierra Club is all for it, it does lean towards that this is the case
From what is described, they want to increase tourism??? So I'm thinking paved roads and a fence to stand behind to take pictures.