Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I know it's early. But if I don't plan trips like this months in advance, something inevitably gets in the way.

I was thinking that my plan is to head down the coast to get to the OB Rally.

My initial thinking is to head down to Portland, and then cut over to 101 on the 30, or on the 8 out of Olympia.

Of course, I think it would make for a much better trip if I wasn't alone. Maybe some people that know areas on the route would be up to sharing some of their favorite spots along the way?

I'm not sure there will be a lot of time for long offroad journeys, but I was thinking that making this part of the trip last 2 to 4 days would make for a fantastic little trip.

Of course, this is assuming that the Rally is going to be in Northern California somewhere. I don't know that I've heard anything concrete yet.

Any input, suggestions, questions are more than welcome!

Updated with new information....

The Costal route...
OB Rally 2016 Planning 2.png

Or the interior mountain route...

OB Rally 2016 Planning 3.png

Obviously both are approximations at this point.

Either route is probably 3 or 4 days, assuming not too may distractions

Last edited:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I know it's early. But if I don't plan trips like this months in advance, something inevitably gets in the way.

I was thinking that my plan is to head down the coast to get to the OB Rally.

My initial thinking is to head down to Portland, and then cut over to 101 on the 30, or on the 8 out of Olympia.

Of course, I think it would make for a much better trip if I wasn't alone. Maybe some people that know areas on the route would be up to sharing some of their favorite spots along the way?

I'm not sure there will be a lot of time for long offroad journeys, but I was thinking that making this part of the trip last 2 to 4 days would make for a fantastic little trip.

Of course, this is assuming that the Rally is going to be in Northern California somewhere. I don't know that I've heard anything concrete yet.

Any input, suggestions, questions are more than welcome!

View attachment 2798
Hey @jdunk , were planning end of September again, and it will most likely be from Thursday to Sunday, which is one more day than last time. We'll most likely do a day of trail pre-running, and some casual classes on hand signals, best trail practices, kit, and other things.

The location will likely be at Shaver Lake, CA which adds another 5 or 6 hours from Eureka, CA. You up for that?

We'll be starting the conversation soon with more info. As you said, it's not that far away!

M

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Absolutely, I just used Eureka as to end of the map because it would have been the most likely place to get off the 101 for anything Northern California.

And, it helped me make the blue line on google maps.

I can't wait!

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Looks like a great trip down the coast! I must get out to the NW at some point. (actually, just about anywhere is where I need to get to at some point!)

This would be my blue line to follow if I were to make the trip to the OB Rally...

Reactions: Steve

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Looks like a great trip down the coast! I must get out to the NW at some point. (actually, just about anywhere is where I need to get to at some point!)

This would be my blue line to follow if I were to make the trip to the OB Rally...

You'd be coming right through my home town in Iowa. I'll wave when you drive by. lol. Anyway, if you haven't seen it, there are a few of us meeting up in Dugger, Indiana this June at the Redbird SRA for some camping and off roading, in case you're interested.

Trixter404

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hannum
Member #

I'd love to convoy down @jdunk, but unless this happens a couple of weekends earlier than last year I won't be able to attend.