Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Good Morning South Dakota

I created this thread for each of you to introduce yourself. Tell us all about your family, you and your rig. Share pictures and get to know others in your state. I will start.

I learned about overlanding last year and have since outfitted my 2015 JKU Rubicon to go anywhere I want. I love getting out in the open air to rock crawl, camp or just go for a drive. I usually head out somewhere every weekend as soon as I clock out of work at 4 pm on Friday.

My Jeep was stock last year until I was in Moab horse back riding and decided to hot a few trails and see what the fuss was all about. WOW what an experience and I have been going full force since.

My goal is to be able to run Baja for a week next year. Your turn!!!

Attachments

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Paha Sapa

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

The Beautiful Black HIlls of South Dakota is where I call home!

I own a 2015 Subaru CrossTrek-stock. Maybe someday I will get upgrades to get me into even more remote areas, although I have been in some pretty remote fire service roads with this and my previous Subaru Forester.

I would consider myself a Novice when it comes to Overlanding. I'm not set up for extreme off-roading and if I break something I'm out-no garage, no mechanic skills, no money to fix, lol! So I'm pretty tame where I go.

I work as a youth program advisor where I teach environmental education to youth in schools, libraries, and clubs.

I am also a volunteer for Pennington County Search and Rescue where I assist the community when needed for lost subjects, vehicle accidents, hiking/climbing injuries, and natural disasters. I am also a NOLS Wilderness First Responder which comes in handy in some situations.

I have a little piece of heaven located in the southern Black Hills of South Dakota where I will hopefully soon be building my home so that I can enjoy all that nature has to offer right outside my front door.

I enjoy taking drives through the Black Hills and exploring new areas and going on adventures near and far (well, mainly near, not so much far yet).

If you are in the area I'd enjoy talking with you about your adventures and letting you in on a few local areas here.93807
LOL-not my personal vehicles, but some that I've gotten to drive around during searches.

Attachments

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

The Beautiful Black HIlls of South Dakota is where I call home!

I own a 2015 Subaru CrossTrek-stock. Maybe someday I will get upgrades to get me into even more remote areas, although I have been in some pretty remote fire service roads with this and my previous Subaru Forester.

I would consider myself a Novice when it comes to Overlanding. I'm not set up for extreme off-roading and if I break something I'm out-no garage, no mechanic skills, no money to fix, lol! So I'm pretty tame where I go.

I work as a youth program advisor where I teach environmental education to youth in schools, libraries, and clubs.

I am also a volunteer for Pennington County Search and Rescue where I assist the community when needed for lost subjects, vehicle accidents, hiking/climbing injuries, and natural disasters. I am also a NOLS Wilderness First Responder which comes in handy in some situations.

I have a little piece of heaven located in the southern Black Hills of South Dakota where I will hopefully soon be building my home so that I can enjoy all that nature has to offer right outside my front door.

I enjoy taking drives through the Black Hills and exploring new areas and going on adventures near and far (well, mainly near, not so much far yet).

If you are in the area I'd enjoy talking with you about your adventures and letting you in on a few local areas here.View attachment 93807
LOL-not my personal vehicles, but some that I've gotten to drive around during searches.
WOW. What an amazing life you have. Love the fun vehicles they should get you just about anywhere you need to go. :0) I have never been to SD but one day I may make it there. Thank you for being the first to introduce yourself, its much appreciated.

Reactions: PapaPaul

Kris Monroe

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rapid City, South Dakota
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Monroe
Member #

Fantastic to connect with you all! My home is Spearfish (northern Black Hills) and sort of stumbled into Overlanding a bit on accident, traveling coast to coast for the last 5-6 years for freelance video and photography work. For years I had been traveling into remote backcountry/mountain/desert areas for work and have lightly modified my Tacoma based on trial-and-error use (tearing off bumpers and adding rock sliders) between work and campsites.

I am currently pursuing my EMT Certification and getting involved with wildland fire - Search & Rescue is a dream of mine!

Looking forward to organizing some trips with nearby Overlanders!

Attachments

Dawkins20

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Pierre, South Dakota
Member #

Hey everyone,
Just about done with my FJ and I’m ready to do some Overlanding this summer in South Dakota. I hail from Pierre and I’ve been 4 wheeling for years while hunting. My first love is drag racing, but building a capable Overlanding vehicle has been my main wallet drain the past 6 months.
Just purchased a 3” lift and my next project is a rear bed for weekend trips with my dog, Tux. I’m very interested in seeing what routes there are in South Dakota for Overlanding and I’m always looking for meet ups.

Attachments

Nathan Z

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Volga SD
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Zacharias
Member #

Hello, I am located in the Brookings SD area but I like to go out to the Black Hills and explore. I am originally from MN and have been offroading most of my life but my wife and I have really enjoyed getting into overlanding, camping and getting involved in the overlanding community over the last few years. My current rig is a mildly build XJ, but it gets me to some cool places.

Attachments

Reactions: Kris Monroe

tireguy43

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Box Elder, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I recently moved here from Colorado. I live on the Pine Ridge reservation with my other half. Going to school and working. Love to get out camp and explore hoping to see some trails. I have a 17 taco off road which is stock for now with the exception with tires. We are looking to get out meet people I love to camp and have a sense of adventure that needs filled.

Attachments

Reactions: Kris Monroe

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

Thank You @Sand Squid for setting this up for your area. Let me know what I can do to help you out.

86burban

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sioux Falls, SD 57105, USA
Member #

Black Hills Members. I am currently in the Black Hills for the rest of today and all of tomorrow. Staying at the Palmer Gulch KOA. What trails do you recommend? Novice to medium skills (not afraid to admit it) and my rig has to get me back home to Sioux Falls on Tuesday. Thanks.

Sojourner

Rank 0

Contributor I

South Dakota, USA
Member #

Hey, all! Aberdeen resident here going in a big trip all the way south to Texas, east through NM, AZ and into CA and then northeast into NV, week or so in UT, CO, WY and finally home to SD. Going to be a month long trip with my wife and the ‘99 4Runner. Expecting 7500 miles or so. Hope to see some of y’all out there!

282B5892-7C84-42CB-B2C5-01CB8C898DFB-5641-0000035F24E2452B.JPG

BLK_HLS_CAL

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

RAPID CITY
Member #

Good Morning South Dakota

I created this thread for each of you to introduce yourself. Tell us all about your family, you and your rig. Share pictures and get to know others in your state. I will start.

I learned about overlanding last year and have since outfitted my 2015 JKU Rubicon to go anywhere I want. I love getting out in the open air to rock crawl, camp or just go for a drive. I usually head out somewhere every weekend as soon as I clock out of work at 4 pm on Friday.

My Jeep was stock last year until I was in Moab horse back riding and decided to hot a few trails and see what the fuss was all about. WOW what an experience and I have been going full force since.

My goal is to be able to run Baja for a week next year. Your turn!!!

My name is Cathy and I joined OB in April of 2018. I thought I would have a rig by now, all I have is my old 1988 Ford pickup which I don't take too far our of town right now, lol. My nephew out of Renton WA (Neil Hall) is an active member and he is rebuilding his 4Runner right now. I love the Black Hills and Wyoming exploring but am anxious to explore Utah and Oregon. It is great to read you!

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
New to the group anyone still around the forums? Interested in a meetup or discussion on Overlanding? I am a Firefighter at Whispering Pines VFd and travel in season to Wildland Fire on a couple IMTs. Decided my new truck is going to get outfitted as an overland truck since that is what I do all summer on fires. May as well enjoy and take the scenic routes home from assignments. I see a lot of the country every season.

Reactions: PapaPaul

PapaPaul

Rank I

Member I

319 South Robert Street, Pierre, South Dakota 57501, United States
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Bader
Member #

Hey everyone,
Just about done with my FJ and I’m ready to do some Overlanding this summer in South Dakota. I hail from Pierre and I’ve been 4 wheeling for years while hunting. My first love is drag racing, but building a capable Overlanding vehicle has been my main wallet drain the past 6 months.
Just purchased a 3” lift and my next project is a rear bed for weekend trips with my dog, Tux. I’m very interested in seeing what routes there are in South Dakota for Overlanding and I’m always looking for meet ups.

Wow I am also from Pierre, I just go a Jeep this past May. Haven't had much time for Overlanding yet but cant wait to start.

Reactions: jwalla

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
New to the group anyone still around the forums? Interested in a meetup or discussion on Overlanding? I am a Firefighter at Whispering Pines VFd and travel in season to Wildland Fire on a couple IMTs. Decided my new truck is going to get outfitted as an overland truck since that is what I do all summer on fires. May as well enjoy and take the scenic routes home from assignments. I see a lot of the country every season.
Just a quick update to the build.
2019 RAM 2500 limited Mega cab
Decked drawer system
Home built rack
4 rotopax 2 water 2 diesel fuel
Roam 6.5 x 8 awning
Tonneau cover when I remove the rack
Cell booster
10in iPad
2 joy factory phone and iPad mounts
sPod 8 button system
Home built 400amp hour battery system charges from 190w solar panel, alternator, plug in 110v
2 pelican cases for gear
1 pelican 30qt cooler
Kitchen kit - full camp kitchen
Warbonnet XLC hammock and superfly
First aid and trauma kit
GMRS Radio
Garmin Inreach SE+
Verizon AT&T, and Firstnet phones, data
Dashcam
Fab Four front bumper
12500# badlands Apex winch in bumper
5x 18in Black Rhino Arsenal wheels
5x 35in fallen wildpeak AT3 tires
Bestop rear foldup bumper step
Gaia maps, google maps, onX hunt, onX trail maps, garmin basecamp maps
Overland bound member medallion

Have added all this since November. Well on my way to my build.

Attachments

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign