US Rocky Mountain OB - Colorado Springs Meetup/Training (monthly)

• HTML tutorial

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Looking forward to the next meet up. Unfortunately won't be able to go on a run or anything since I have to work at 4pm. But it will be good to see people again.
Vince, don't hesitate to pick a run time that works for you and invite us along whether formally or informally! Let me know if I can help!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Looking forward to next month, thank you for organizing @mountainrecce

I think we should also find a common standard for comms, what would you suggest @Neal A. Tew ?
@carlodonz

Here are the official OB recommendations:

Most of us already have some sort of GMRS radio so that is the easiest option. Be aware, though, that the purchase of a license is required in most cases. Read the GMRS section carefully. I recommend anyone that has the means to get one of the mobile units such as these:

Having an outside antenna helps your range tremendously. It's also nice to be powered off the truck battery for obvious reasons. It's good to have a handheld as well for those times when you have to step out of the vehicle to spot or have around camp, etc. The handhelds and mobiles will mostly all work with one another.

Amateur aka Ham Radio is by far the most superior of them all, but requires testing which is more of a hurdle for the entry level participant. In a perfect world I'd like to see everyone on ham radio, but in my experience GMRS is the easiest to get everyone connected on the trail. I am an amateur radio license examiner and would be happy to help anyone get their license that is interested. This would be a good topic for one of our gatherings.

CB, while not requiring a license, is much more susceptible to problems because of its frequency range. Antenna placement and quality is much more important and not very forgiving of less than idea situations. I have a CB in my truck to use when I have to, but it's my last choice.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

@carlodonz
Most of us already have some sort of GMRS radio so that is the easiest option. Be aware, though, that the purchase of a license is required in most cases. Read the GMRS section carefully. I recommend anyone that has the means to get one of the mobile units such as these:

For some reason, I can't see any of the above links, can you try again?

But yeah at least at the beginning I think I want to get something small and portable.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
For some reason, I can't see any of the above links, can you try again?

But yeah at least at the beginning I think I want to get something small and portable.
I posted the links in the web site directly and it converted them to some kind of preview. They work fine there, but don't work in Tapatalk.

Try this:

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I have a question about Gmrs licensing? Does it require a test? Is it the same as a ham radio? Or just requires registration/licensing fee?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I have a question about Gmrs licensing? Does it require a test? Is it the same as a ham radio? Or just requires registration/licensing fee?
No test, just a fee. Its for the higher powered GMRS radios, not the lower powered FRS.

Reactions: JDGreens

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I saw that on Amazon they sell them often in a bundle. Who would be interested in a 'group buy'?

RedRunner87

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Torres