O.B. Badges fading/oxidizing?

• Guest, You can choose a light or dark theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" botton at the very bottom left of this page!

KÜHN

Rank V

Advocate III

St. Louis, MO
Member #

Hey all, was wondering if anyone else had similar issues: after an afternoon of romping my Jeep around with a friend, I took it home and gave it a bath. I noticed that my O.B. member badges were both fading/oxidizing pretty badly. Anyone else had this problem, and if so- is there a fix? I don't wash my Jeep a ton, and don't use any crazy chemicals when I do clean it. I also keep it parked in the garage and don't live anywhere near salt water, yet that's exactly what it looks like.

Thanks in advance,

Kuhn

Chadlyb

Rank VI
Supporter

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hey all, was wondering if anyone else had similar issues: after an afternoon of romping my Jeep around with a friend, I took it home and gave it a bath. I noticed that my O.B. member badges were both fading/oxidizing pretty badly. Anyone else had this problem, and if so- is there a fix? I don't wash my Jeep a ton, and don't use any crazy chemicals when I do clean it. I also keep it parked in the garage and don't live anywhere near salt water, yet that's exactly what it looks like.

Thanks in advance,

Kuhn
@Michael @Corrie

Chris Jones

Online Community Director
Staff member

Advocate III

Methuen, MA
Member #

There are some members who have experienced oxidization in the salt states. Send a message to info@overlandbound.com so they can see and maybe replace if necessary. Not much you can do once oxidization starts. I live in MA and have had no issue at all. But Michael sent me a few to test some prevention materials on and my results are this. Rustoleum mat crystal clear coat works well, but is tough to apply/reapply on a badge that is already on a vehicle. Rust Prevention Magic, a heavy wax, goes on clear and thought it will require re-application from time to time its a 2 minute job and wont get all over your truck's finish.

Reactions: Michael and Chadlyb

Michael

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Influencer II

Dublin, CA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL

Thanks in advance,

Kuhn
@Chris Jones is correct. If you have an issue, please let info@overlandbound.com know and we will order replacements - Then try chris's suggestions. Utah mud eventually did a number on mine - not bad, but a few spots.

Reactions: Chadlyb

CSG

Rank V

Advocate III

Idaho
Member #

Mine will always look new as I tossed it in my console. I'm not a badge and patch guy. I bought the thing to support the site.

old_man

Rank V

Influencer I

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0VJR
Clean/glass bead and apply, then coat with matte lacquer. Better yet, lacquer before it fades.