Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Hi guys I’m looking for recommended camping locations, routes and destinations around Lake Placid and Hunter mountain. Anything would be appreciated especially a gpx for a scenic route.

Planning to do a little 2 day trip in the next few weeks to see some changing leaves, camp and tackle a neat trail either in the truck or hiking.

I’m not familiar with the area, at the moment looking at North/South Lake camp in the Kaaterskill area or maybe something near lake placid. If anyone has experience with these places or knows of a great camping spot that would be awesome.

I was looking at Sam Pryor Shawangunk campground but it’s almost 40$ a night and they don’t allow cooking or fires at the individual lots.

I heard some people saying Vermont is better and cheaper, and I would be interested in checking that out as well.

Thanks in advance!

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

Hi guys I’m looking for recommended camping locations, routes and destinations around Lake Placid and Hunter mountain. Anything would be appreciated especially a gpx for a scenic route.

Planning to do a little 2 day trip in the next few weeks to see some changing leaves, camp and tackle a neat trail either in the truck or hiking.

I’m not familiar with the area, at the moment looking at North/South Lake camp in the Kaaterskill area or maybe something near lake placid. If anyone has experience with these places or knows of a great camping spot that would be awesome.

I was looking at Sam Pryor Shawangunk campground but it’s almost 40$ a night and they don’t allow cooking or fires at the individual lots.

I heard some people saying Vermont is better and cheaper, and I would be interested in checking that out as well.

Thanks in advance!
It looks like the Adirondacks are past there peak for changing of the leaves. I don't know about Vermont though.

Attachments

Reactions: Dusther210

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

So is every camp in NY really booked until next year?
Yes and no, for just one spot you can get lucky and find one. For multiple spots it is pretty hard since most places close mid September to tent campers. Plus with NYS hunting season starting soon, it would be hard to find any primitive campsites in NY.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@OVRLNDER no worries!
Looks like I am going to give the entire NY leg of the NEBDR going East to West, which fortunately seems to be run right through all the parts that are a little slower on changing leaves and should have some good views.

Btw if anyone would like to join in on any part of the route consider this an invitation

Also I found blue mountain campground had a few vacancies and didn’t seem too bad

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

@lilbear105 - When are you going? I'm near the eastern starting point in NY - Copake Falls. You should also check out Hipcamp for sites - make sure you read the reviews. I've had some good luck with Hipcamp - though it s a mixed bag. I've found a number of good campsites that are just primitive sites on people's farm or plot of land with no one around.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

@Berkshires Sunday night to Tuesday. I’m not sure if I can enjoy legs 1 and 2 of the NEBDR in a day. I will try Hipcamp on my next outing since I already booked for this weekend. Thanks!!

Do you use ham or GMRS?
Don't have ham, but did just get my GMRS license - now I have to find the right equipment - any suggestions?

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Just an update for anyone watching this:

We stayed at Blue Mountain Campground and it was pretty good. The tent spaces were pretty close together but they had very nice and clean laundry, bathrooms etc. It was very quiet and everyone was nice. I think this is the first campground my wife is excited to visit again. We did NEBDR from Hunter mountain to Readesboro VT. It took all day (we finished really late at night after a long pitstop in North Adams, MA). Highly recommended camp and route. The camp has wifi, but there was no signal on the whole route.

For the route it was very easy, we eventually dropped to 30psi from 50psi to smooth out the ride. Kept in in 2wd except for 2 short sections - the area after crossing back into Mass and the Housatonic/October mtn bits. This was probably not necessary but doing so help smooth the ride a bit more. I’ll include pictures of these sections.

Be warned there is a section around the CT/MA border (I think still in CT) where it is pretty smooth and down hill. There are steep cliffs and TIGHT turns. One turn crept up on us and the brakes locked up
It was...exciting

As you can see in one of the pictures there are about a billion trees down in one spot, just before the reservoir, but there is a narrow bypass on the right side which was quite fun.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
From Hunter mountain to Copake is basically all paved. The dirt increased as I got closer to the Massachusetts border until it was about 50/50 dirt and pavement. Connecticut had a very long section of dirt going into Massachusetts. I would say overall, section 3 of NEBDR IS 50-75% off pavement

Reactions: Scout