Rick
Last Name
Iverson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7NB
Service Branch
Army
I posted this on Expedition Portal and got no feedback and I'd love to have input from Overland Bound folks as well.

I'm working on an all-comers trip for Northwest folks traveling from the Northwest Rally to the BC Rally in June of 2020. The idea would be to leave Plain Sunday morning and travel up section 4, 5, and 6 of the Washington Backcountry Discovery route and enter Canada sometime early Tuesday at the Chopka border onto Canada HWY 3 Tuesday morning. From there I was thinking road trip up the Fraser Valley to somewhere around Harrison Lake for an overnight Tuesday night, then on up the valley to Pemberton for an overnight before traveling on to the BC rally.

I would welcome input or participation from Canadian folks who know the area, as I have not traveled BC other than the Sunshine Coast for many years. Better routes? Missing things we would want to see? Want to join in?

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I don't know much about the Harrison Lake area, but their are quote a few dispersed camping sites up the Silver Skagit Road along the river (just south of Hope). Hwy 1 North of Hope to Lytton is beautiful, Hwy 12 to Lillooet is pretty nice, and Hwy 99 west to Pemberton is just epic. I know their are an umber of forestry road routes around the Hwy 99 area, but I havn't driven any as of yet.

Reactions: RadioRick

RadioRick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Iverson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7NB
Service Branch
Army
I don't know much about the Harrison Lake area, but their are quote a few dispersed camping sites up the Silver Skagit Road along the river (just south of Hope). Hwy 1 North of Hope to Lytton is beautiful, Hwy 12 to Lillooet is pretty nice, and Hwy 99 west to Pemberton is just epic. I know their are an umber of forestry road routes around the Hwy 99 area, but I havn't driven any as of yet.
Thanks for the input! I'll look at those areas. I did some camping in the Fraser River Valley in my younger years but have notbeen back since.

SNO-RNR

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kelowna, BC, Canada
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Pearey
Member #

There is a back road route from Harrison to Lillooet. I have never done it but I know its popular. Or Whipshaw could be done from Washington.

RadioRick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Iverson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7NB
Service Branch
Army
This will give us a little more time for planning and possibly a pre-run of the Canadian portions although I have a feeling it may not be until 2022.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Hard to say but lots of fun routes that put you decent gravel, not goat tracks.

From the Harrison area, you can take the West Harrison FSR about 4-6 hours depending on the road conditions (ignore Google you will average 40 KPH). It is a pretty nice drive but you need to watch for logging trucks - you move over they do not and they are moving right along.
You can take a less traveled route to the south, in around where it says Port Douglas the it rejoins the main.

You can get to the Whistler area on a lot of FSR's from almost any direction except due south (Vancouver)

Sasquatch_pem.png

RadioRick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Iverson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7NB
Service Branch
Army
Thanks for the ideas. This has obviously gone by the wayside for 2020 but I still hope to do it in 2021 if the dates work out!

Reactions: rgallant

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Not a problem feel free to ask I have covered most of southern BC over the last 10 years.