Nox Lux Blackout Kit for 5th Gen TRD Off Road

• HTML tutorial

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

I just received my full, Nox Lux blackout kit for my TRD Off Road and I was wondering what others thought of theirs.

After struggling to pull the trigger on $160 for overlays, I was expecting to be pretty darn pleased when I got them, but when I opened the box, it was a pretty big let down when I found them to be just a bunch of plastic pieces that were designed with a lot of extra “flash” (not sure what else to call it) between some of the letters - most notably the “R” on the “TRD”. Don’t get me wrong, they fit almost perfect and we’re a total conch to apply, but the free Nox Lux hat and sticker don’t really make up for the disappointment of the plasticy product.

Everyone seemed to speak highly of the Nox Lux product, so maybe my expectations were just a bit out of whack, but I do have to say that for $180 after shipping, I expected a little bit more. (Their sales margins on that particular overlay kit have to be through the roof!!!)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I got mine two years ago for half that price. I didn’t know they were that expensive now. Mine fit perfect, had smoothly trimmed edges, and went on easy. I was very pleased with them, and they still look like new despite two harsh, salty Ohio winters.

NoxLux

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello,
Thank you for purchasing Nox Lux products. We understand the black out kits are a little pricey but there is solid reasoning to it. These are in fact precision made. Our parent company provides these kits directly to OE side of the industry, we are the retail side of business. These kits are vacuum thermoformed over an extremely expensive reverse mold. They are then precision trimmed for variances in the thousandths of an inch, and quality checked numerous times over. In regards to the different pricing from posts above, Steve must have purchased an SR5 kit vs. the TRD offroad kit before we released the TRD offroad. We started selling the TRD emblem overlays in the middle of 2017 at $69 for letters only, and $159 for the complete 15 pc 4Runner TRD offroad kit as there was a high demand for it. Unfortunately that tooling was extremely difficult as these letters are very tiny and took a lot of time in trial and error. This is the reason why you do not see many of these kits out from other competitors. They are expensive to make and even harder to produce as a high quality product in volume. Our black out kits are meant to be a quick and simple solution to the repetitive plasti-dipping process, as well as, a quicker, simpler, less risky solution to de-badging OE emblems and replacing with genuine BLACK OE emblems. It also seems to us dealerships prefer our solution to the latter as it is quick and simple compared to replacing stock badges with new black OE badges.

We hope this helps with a little understanding in the matter of pricing of our kits.

Thank you for business you guys!

The Nox Lux Team

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Steve must have purchased an SR5 kit vs. the TRD offroad kit before we released the TRD offroad. We started selling the TRD emblem overlays in the middle of 2017
Yep, I got mine in early 2016, and actually had them before my 4Runner was even on the boat US bound! There was no such vehicle as a TRD Off-Road when I got the set for my 4Runner Trail. And, I bought it through your eBay outlet, which was less expensive than through the store.

I'm a pleased customer!

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

Hello,
Thank you for purchasing Nox Lux products. We understand the black out kits are a little pricey but there is solid reasoning to it. These are in fact precision made. Our parent company provides these kits directly to OE side of the industry, we are the retail side of business. These kits are vacuum thermoformed over an extremely expensive reverse mold. They are then precision trimmed for variances in the thousandths of an inch, and quality checked numerous times over. In regards to the different pricing from posts above, Steve must have purchased an SR5 kit vs. the TRD offroad kit before we released the TRD offroad. We started selling the TRD emblem overlays in the middle of 2017 at $69 for letters only, and $159 for the complete 15 pc 4Runner TRD offroad kit as there was a high demand for it. Unfortunately that tooling was extremely difficult as these letters are very tiny and took a lot of time in trial and error. This is the reason why you do not see many of these kits out from other competitors. They are expensive to make and even harder to produce as a high quality product in volume. Our black out kits are meant to be a quick and simple solution to the repetitive plasti-dipping process, as well as, a quicker, simpler, less risky solution to de-badging OE emblems and replacing with genuine BLACK OE emblems. It also seems to us dealerships prefer our solution to the latter as it is quick and simple compared to replacing stock badges with new black OE badges.

We hope this helps with a little understanding in the matter of pricing of our kits.

Thank you for business you guys!

The Nox Lux Team
Thank you so much for your response to my post! I really appreciate the detail and the insight into your process and market approach!

I definitely feel like the fit is wonderful, and the installation was a pleasure (in my previous post, my phone autocorrected and the intended “cinch” was replaced by “conch” which makes absolutely no sense!). One of the primary reasons why I went with The Nox Lux solution over vinyl stickers - which I knew would have to be replaced multiple times over the years - was the ease and speed of installation.

My sticking point - the more I think about it - is really around the “R” in the “TRD” badge. The Toyota emblem overlays and the “4Runner” overlays are great, but as you mention, with the “TRD Off Road” lettering, they are tiny and there is not much room for error. Because of this, I imagine, it is difficult to correct the problem that I am talking about, but it seems like there may be some opportunities to separate the “TRD” overlay into more distinct lettering (I am completely fine with the “Off Road” portion of the overlay).

Additionally, I do apologize for using the word “plasticy” since it does give the connotation of a cheaply made product which I do not believe is the case, especially after seeing the overlays on my rig this morning; they look really good and are completely appropriate for the 4Runner fit and finish! I think I will be a very happy customer, but my initial frustration is simply focused on the “TRD” overlay (and with the initial bite of the purchase which will fade away quickly as all purchases tend to do...).

Thank you again for your response and, might I add, your AMAZINGLY quick order fulfillment - I had the overlays installed in 3 business days from the time I placed my order, clear on the opposite side of the country!!!

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

Hey guys - it has been almost 2 months since my original post and I wanted to say a few things about the @NoxLux Blackout Kit now that I have had it on my rig for a bit.

First, the pieces look exactly the same today as they did when I received them. I mean they look EXACTLY the same - they look brand new! There is no sign of wear, fade, adhesive separation, etc. The product, in my mind, has held up incredibly well!!!!

Secondly, the “bite” of the expense has faded... just as we would all expect. I have had so many life expenses come and go over the past 2 months that I never even think about the cost of the Blackout Kit. Even as I came back to write this, the initial shock of the cost is gone. Given the way that the product has held up, and the way it enhances my 4Runner, I am completely over my hang up with the cost; the @NoxLux Blackout Kit is a high quality product that is worth the price paid.

I would also like to apologize again for my initial criticism of the product and my harsh comments.

If there is anyone out there who is considering the product for themselves, please know that this critic has become a convert.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Hey guys - it has been almost 2 months since my original post and I wanted to say a few things about the @NoxLux Blackout Kit now that I have had it on my rig for a bit.

First, the pieces look exactly the same today as they did when I received them. I mean they look EXACTLY the same - they look brand new! There is no sign of wear, fade, adhesive separation, etc. The product, in my mind, has held up incredibly well!!!!

Secondly, the “bite” of the expense has faded... just as we would all expect. I have had so many life expenses come and go over the past 2 months that I never even think about the cost of the Blackout Kit. Even as I came back to write this, the initial shock of the cost is gone. Given the way that the product has held up, and the way it enhances my 4Runner, I am completely over my hang up with the cost; the @NoxLux Blackout Kit is a high quality product that is worth the price paid.

I would also like to apologize again for my initial criticism of the product and my harsh comments.

If there is anyone out there who is considering the product for themselves, please know that this critic has become a convert.
I don’t think your criticism of the product was unwarranted. The response from the manufacturer described an extremely detailed and precise manufacturing process. If those claims are true then I don’t think they should have those blobs of plastic between and around the letters. It should be cleaner if he’s going to make those claims. They do look good but I agree with your first post.