Not as helpful or as friendly as I’d hoped.

• HTML tutorial

Dich Rixon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Salem, MA
Member #

So, this is not an effort to get something or anything for that matter. As a long time automotive hobbyist I have been a part of a lot of forums, groups etc. I have to see that the overlanding crowd, (in my region anyway), has not been the picture of support that I had hoped. I mean I have had more help and luck getting help from the drag racing community. Tons of shared info, or points in the right direction at least. And these are from competitive guys, who have every right to not share info. All this community like mindedness and belonging to the biggest overland community, (overland bound), has really not benefited me in anyway.

Being a newbie I don’t have that much to offer in terms of lay of the land stuff, but the skills and tools I possess are pretty valuable to any community especially an overlanding community.

Michael, if your tryin to grow this thing, you’ve got your work cut out for you. New England needs help.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

So, this is not an effort to get something or anything for that matter. As a long time automotive hobbyist I have been a part of a lot of forums, groups etc. I have to see that the overlanding crowd, (in my region anyway), has not been the picture of support that I had hoped. I mean I have had more help and luck getting help from the drag racing community. Tons of shared info, or points in the right direction at least. And these are from competitive guys, who have every right to not share info. All this community like mindedness and belonging to the biggest overland community, (overland bound), has really not benefited me in anyway.

Being a newbie I don’t have that much to offer in terms of lay of the land stuff, but the skills and tools I possess are pretty valuable to any community especially an overlanding community.

Michael, if your tryin to grow this thing, you’ve got your work cut out for you. New England needs help.

Just curious as to how many meet-ups/trips you have attended... I did find that as a newbie, posting very open ended questions didn't get me very far in the forums, but after refining my questions and making sure I posted them in the sub-forums, I did get a much better/helpful response. In addition, I found people to be much more responsive on the regional Facebook groups...

I am sure if you have any specific questions @Chris Jones would be willing to help!

@Michael @Corrie and staff...Keep up the great work!

Dich Rixon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Salem, MA
Member #

Yea only posted a few times but I am not sure how I can be any more specific. It’s not just here, it’s the Facebook groups as well. It’s not a dig at the overland community, just an observation. I think New England is going to be a tough market compared to other regions of the country.

Reactions: Joseph Seymour

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Hey Dich Rixon,

I'm sorry to hear that your experience has been less than stellar.

My experience has been a little different. After having joined the site earlier this month, I have already attended a meet-up and got to know 8 local OB Members. But I am also a firm believer in the saying "you get out of life what you put into it." Since joining the site I have actively participated in several threads where I can offer my own insight and helped to organize a meet-up that will hopefully become a recurring event. Another thing to keep in mind is that, sometimes, a lack of answer is a sign that no one knows the answer.

I hope you aren't too dissuaded from participating and take the time to get to know members in your area. Unfortunately, it looks like you just missed one meet-up in Byfield/Newbury, MA yesterday.

Dich Rixon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Salem, MA
Member #

Hey Dich Rixon,

I'm sorry to hear that your experience has been less than stellar.

My experience has been a little different. After having joined the site earlier this month, I have already attended a meet-up and got to know 8 local OB Members. But I am also a firm believer in the saying "you get out of life what you put into it." Since joining the site I have actively participated in several threads where I can offer my own insight and helped to organize a meet-up that will hopefully become a recurring event. Another thing to keep in mind is that, sometimes, a lack of answer is a sign that no one knows the answer.

I hope you aren't too dissuaded from participating and take the time to get to know members in your area. Unfortunately, it looks like you just missed one meet-up in Byfield/Newbury, MA yesterday.
I guess I did miss a meetup. Was it in a parking lot or something? Either way. I’m happy your experience has been so much better than mine. I am not sure what I expected or why I feel disappointed. But you do get what you put in. Either way, I have an actual trip I am packing, planning, and getting my truck ready for that I leave for this Friday and didn’t have time to come anyway.

Now that I have so much attention:

My wife and two kids (7 and 2) are heading out on our first camping trip as a family this Friday. We are staying in Morrisville VT. I am looking for some light duty trails to use as part of our route to get there, and or some trails to travel on while we are up there. Looking for family friendly trails as I want there first excursion to be exciting but not really stressful. So they want to do it again. My truck is a stockish Yukon xl. 32 inch allterrains, removed lower valance and sidesteps for clearance, tow point in rear, 13k winch up front, and a working limited slip in the back. I have mapped out a few trails but I am unsure of the level of difficulty of them. I can post links if anyone has any experience in that area.

Also note we don’t have an itinerary l. It’s wide open. If you have recommendations for trails, or other family friendly places to go or if you want to roll with us. Again family friendly. I do plan on making a trip to the alchemist to try that world famous “heady topper”.

Thanks

Rich

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I actually went a different route than you also. I didn't wait around for others to reach out to me. I made it a point to be the aggressor and organize a rally point to meet others. If you notice, ANYONE can create a rally point event to meet up with others. ANYONE can create a rally point to go out and go on the trails. Now I'm from the south we think and act different than northeasterners, but you can't sit back and wait for others to come to your door and pick you up...take some initiative and get out there. Your outlook will be different. You get out of it what you put into it.

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I guess I did miss a meetup. Was it in a parking lot or something? Either way. I’m happy your experience has been so much better than mine. I am not sure what I expected or why I feel disappointed. But you do get what you put in. Either way, I have an actual trip I am packing, planning, and getting my truck ready for that I leave for this Friday and didn’t have time to come anyway.

Now that I have so much attention:

My wife and two kids (7 and 2) are heading out on our first camping trip as a family this Friday. We are staying in Morrisville VT. I am looking for some light duty trails to use as part of our route to get there, and or some trails to travel on while we are up there. Looking for family friendly trails as I want there first excursion to be exciting but not really stressful. So they want to do it again. My truck is a stockish Yukon xl. 32 inch allterrains, removed lower valance and sidesteps for clearance, tow point in rear, 13k winch up front, and a working limited slip in the back. I have mapped out a few trails but I am unsure of the level of difficulty of them. I can post links if anyone has any experience in that area.

Also note we don’t have an itinerary l. It’s wide open. If you have recommendations for trails, or other family friendly places to go or if you want to roll with us. Again family friendly. I do plan on making a trip to the alchemist to try that world famous “heady topper”.

Thanks

Rich

If you hit up Alchemist for some Heady Topper you should check out the drive up Smugglers Notch (paved but awesome) and the Toll Road (dirt trail to the top of the mountain).... Both are minutes from Stowe.
Also for lunch or dinner I highly recommend Prohibition Pig.... About 8 minutes south of Stowe (awesome food and beer)

Enjoy! Share some pics of your adventure!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL

This thread is awesome.

If you want to start a flame thread, a good way to do it is to say - "your community isn't what I hoped", and here, flame didn't happen. I hope it never does.

Rich, you bring up good points. At least, that's how I always feel about OLB. We can do more. We can do better. We can improve access to information and make it easier for people. That's what we are working to do every day.

Also, we protect our culture fairly ruthlessly, and try to maintain civility and helpfulness here. I'm always surprised when folks here have not at least skimmed our Core Principles. That's what we are all about, and that's what we work hard every day to deliver. Now - some more practical advice:

In the case where we do not have trails located on our resource map, or in our downloadable trails section, there are two primary resources I turn to:
  1. National Park Station - Go in and talk to them. Locate one in an area you are traveling to and ask for a Land Use Map. These maps are highly detailed, and very reasonable in price, if not free. REI would charge $30 for a better version, but your tax dollars have paid for them, and the National Park Service understands that. They are not printed on waterproof paper, and don't last to long in your rig.
  2. You can contact Overland Bound Members in the exact area you are going to and ask. By going to the Member Map, you can click on their pin then write a direct message and ask where they would recommend.
In terms of where to go, and how difficult you should try, please please err on the side of caution. Your rig will do more than you think, and you don't need front lockers to really scare yourself. There is overlanding as enjoyment, and overlanding as sport. Sport gets your wheels in the air and water past your door sills. don't do that your first few times out.
This might be a good subject for a YouTube vid to get the word out. "Never Been There? Here is Where to Start" I don't want to write too many chapters in here - but maybe some of this is helpful.

Now, what is OLB doing to improve this? Community + Technology. We are working on the OLB Platform to make access to information easier. Easier communication, check-ins, and trail access. Even AR terrain features to "preview" a trail before you get there. I'm very excited about these things, and bringing them to the community.

Thanks all for the feedback and tips.

M

Dich Rixon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Salem, MA
Member #

This thread is awesome.

If you want to start a flame thread, a good way to do it is to say - "your community isn't what I hoped", and here, flame didn't happen. I hope it never does.

Rich, you bring up good points. At least, that's how I always feel about OLB. We can do more. We can do better. We can improve access to information and make it easier for people. That's what we are working to do every day.

Also, we protect our culture fairly ruthlessly, and try to maintain civility and helpfulness here. I'm always surprised when folks here have not at least skimmed our Core Principles. That's what we are all about, and that's what we work hard every day to deliver. Now - some more practical advice:

In the case where we do not have trails located on our resource map, or in our downloadable trails section, there are two primary resources I turn to:
  1. National Park Station - Go in and talk to them. Locate one in an area you are traveling to and ask for a Land Use Map. These maps are highly detailed, and very reasonable in price, if not free. REI would charge $30 for a better version, but your tax dollars have paid for them, and the National Park Service understands that. They are not printed on waterproof paper, and don't last to long in your rig.
  2. You can contact Overland Bound Members in the exact area you are going to and ask. By going to the Member Map, you can click on their pin then write a direct message and ask where they would recommend.
In terms of where to go, and how difficult you should try, please please err on the side of caution. Your rig will do more than you think, and you don't need front lockers to really scare yourself. There is overlanding as enjoyment, and overlanding as sport. Sport gets your wheels in the air and water past your door sills. don't do that your first few times out.
This might be a good subject for a YouTube vid to get the word out. "Never Been There? Here is Where to Start" I don't want to write too many chapters in here - but maybe some of this is helpful.

Now, what is OLB doing to improve this? Community + Technology. We are working on the OLB Platform to make access to information easier. Easier communication, check-ins, and trail access. Even AR terrain features to "preview" a trail before you get there. I'm very excited about these things, and bringing them to the community.

Thanks all for the feedback and tips.

M
Michael,

Thanks for chiming in! I’m flattered but not surprised you did so. Your passion is contagious. While I am not sorry for making my post, I am sorry for the way I presented my concerns. My intention wasn’t to “flame”, but to have a dialogue with my peers about concerns I have about our Regional community. I have always had a love for exploring by vehicle on and off road. When I stumbled across you, Michael, I was drawn in. The Overland Bound Community was what I have been looking for, for years! A mind share, a knowledge base, , a like minded community! So I ponied up and became a member. I too was going to have remote campfires with my family and other travelers! No more dealing with Gustapo secrecy about trail locations, “club members only” etc. To my dismay, the map wasn’t as populated around me as in other regions. “Shucks, ok so, it’s growing, rapidly. I can help!”

So I thought...

My first post suggesting that there might be some things to work on (again sorry for my original word-smithing, I can be abrasive to some) is met with nothing but “you get what you put in” and the equivalent of “use the search newb!,”. It’s as if - if I am not showing off my newest rooftop tent, or organizing a meeting at parking lot in front of a coffee shop, or giving people “attaboys” for there sweet branch guard cable system thingy they made for 23 bucks, what I have to offer as opinion isn’t valuable.

Because I have yet to receive an answer other than read the core principals, look at our member map, and you get what you put in etc, I am going to assume that I am off in some uncharted territory by asking for recommendations from any locals. I ask these questions, not be cause i am in-capable, or illiterate, but because like most of you my vacation time is short lived. Any tips I can get about the particulars of the specific region we are headed to, that could help my family stay safe and enjoy there first outing, would not only be helpful, but would bolster the chance they are going to want to do it again!

I’ll continue to lurk and chime in when I feel like I can help someone.

After this trip I should have some real relevant info to share with people about things that matter on a family trip.

Thanks guys. You are all the best! The amount of support you have showed a newcomer, and the welcoming arms, its been exactly what the overlanding community needs.

I am off to study the core principles. I hear they will tell me about the demands of the roads I have mapped out on my trip, or if there is some sort of impassable obstacle for my rig 5 miles into the woods with my 2 and 7 year old. No big deal. I’m apart of the Overland Bound Community. I can put out the bat signal and a co member will show up and help.

:/

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Michael,

Thanks for chiming in! I’m flattered but not surprised you did so. Your passion is contagious. While I am not sorry for making my post, I am sorry for the way I presented my concerns. My intention wasn’t to “flame”, but to have a dialogue with my peers about concerns I have about our Regional community. I have always had a love for exploring by vehicle on and off road. When I stumbled across you, Michael, I was drawn in. The Overland Bound Community was what I have been looking for, for years! A mind share, a knowledge base, , a like minded community! So I ponied up and became a member. I too was going to have remote campfires with my family and other travelers! No more dealing with Gustapo secrecy about trail locations, “club members only” etc. To my dismay, the map wasn’t as populated around me as in other regions. “Shucks, ok so, it’s growing, rapidly. I can help!”

So I thought...

My first post suggesting that there might be some things to work on (again sorry for my original word-smithing, I can be abrasive to some) is met with nothing but “you get what you put in” and the equivalent of “use the search newb!,”. It’s as if - if I am not showing off my newest rooftop tent, or organizing a meeting at parking lot in front of a coffee shop, or giving people “attaboys” for there sweet branch guard cable system thingy they made for 23 bucks, what I have to offer as opinion isn’t valuable.

Because I have yet to receive an answer other than read the core principals, look at our member map, and you get what you put in etc, I am going to assume that I am off in some uncharted territory by asking for recommendations from any locals. I ask these questions, not be cause i am in-capable, or illiterate, but because like most of you my vacation time is short lived. Any tips I can get about the particulars of the specific region we are headed to, that could help my family stay safe and enjoy there first outing, would not only be helpful, but would bolster the chance they are going to want to do it again!

I’ll continue to lurk and chime in when I feel like I can help someone.

After this trip I should have some real relevant info to share with people about things that matter on a family trip.

Thanks guys. You are all the best! The amount of support you have showed a newcomer, and the welcoming arms, its been exactly what the overlanding community needs.

I am off to study the core principles. I hear they will tell me about the demands of the roads I have mapped out on my trip, or if there is some sort of impassable obstacle for my rig 5 miles into the woods with my 2 and 7 year old. No big deal. I’m apart of the Overland Bound Community. I can put out the bat signal and a co member will show up and help.

It would be my guess that the community probably does not know specifically. At least, that is my guess.

I hope you have a great trip.

M

Reactions: Dich Rixon

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Rich,

Like you, my intention was not to “flame” and I am sorry that my response to you reinforced your negative impression of Overland Bound. That was never my intention. Like you, one of my first few posts was to ask the local members (through the regional forum) for trail information. I received one response, and it was only a suggestion to talk to another member who lives in another county, 45 minutes south of me. I, too, was frustrated at the lack of information on the map and from the members of my region.

For my immediate need, I didn’t have any intel from the Overland Bound community, so I went about finding it myself and exploring with my wife. I stopped in at the US Forest Service office and spent 30 minutes talking to the staff about routes and things to see. Did I get the type of insider/local knowledge I was looking for? Nope… but I did get a few hints on where to look to start building that knowledge for myself and for my fellow members. To address the larger issue, I decided that I could remain silent or I could start working to get our community more involved. Based on my core beliefs, I started organizing the community. We are still in our infancy and Northwest Washington, but I intend to put all I can into making it work.

I offered my perspective to you because your frustration resonated, at some level, with frustration I felt not too long ago. So, I wanted to offer to you how I was going about working to correct the problem… in an effort to continue the dialog you opened up.

I sincerely hope that you and your family have a fun adventure and that you are able to foster in them the desire to explore. Some of my fondest memories with my father were when we drove off the beaten path and found new sights, sounds, and experiences that have been with me for over 30 years.

Dich Rixon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Salem, MA
Member #

Rich,

Like you, my intention was not to “flame” and I am sorry that my response to you reinforced your negative impression of Overland Bound. That was never my intention. Like you, one of my first few posts was to ask the local members (through the regional forum) for trail information. I received one response, and it was only a suggestion to talk to another member who lives in another county, 45 minutes south of me. I, too, was frustrated at the lack of information on the map and from the members of my region.

For my immediate need, I didn’t have any intel from the Overland Bound community, so I went about finding it myself and exploring with my wife. I stopped in at the US Forest Service office and spent 30 minutes talking to the staff about routes and things to see. Did I get the type of insider/local knowledge I was looking for? Nope… but I did get a few hints on where to look to start building that knowledge for myself and for my fellow members. To address the larger issue, I decided that I could remain silent or I could start working to get our community more involved. Based on my core beliefs, I started organizing the community. We are still in our infancy and Northwest Washington, but I intend to put all I can into making it work.

I offered my perspective to you because your frustration resonated, at some level, with frustration I felt not too long ago. So, I wanted to offer to you how I was going about working to correct the problem… in an effort to continue the dialog you opened up.

I sincerely hope that you and your family have a fun adventure and that you are able to foster in them the desire to explore. Some of my fondest memories with my father were when we drove off the beaten path and found new sights, sounds, and experiences that have been with me for over 30 years.
Thanks. I appreciate the insight.

Reactions: Jedi

1leg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hi

I do not have any experience with your area of the country so I cannot give you any advice on the trails in your area. What I do know is how I got started in camping/ overlanding, drag racing and traveling with little kids.

You are correct; the overlanding and drag racing communities are completely different. In drag racing, at least at the grass root level it is just a bunch of car guys that just like working on cars and making them go faster even if it’s not their car. Overlanding is a cross between camping and prepping so I have found it to be little clicky. people are willing to help, they are nice but, they might not be willing to share everything with you, at least not until you have been with the group for a while.

My overlanding/camping/prepping started with a Jeep back in the early 90s. I started doing alot of day trips with some buddies from work. We were all learning at the same time. I found out right away I didn’t care for the hard core forwheeling. I don’t mind working on my drag car but didn’t like working on muddy Jeep. I went on my first ever camp out with my Brother in law when we were in our late 20s with my 4 year old nephew. I’m pretty sure my nephew knew more than we did, he slept like a baby all night.

When traveling with young kids your just going to have to travel at their pace. It will take some time but they will adapt to taking trips. Just plan to stop a lot along the way, Couldn’t tell you how many time I have pulled over to change clothes on a kid that just puked all over themselves. Don’t get mad just keep reassuring them that where you are going is the best place on earth, Don’t be like me 4 year olds and 4 wheel low should not go together.

As for finding local trails and partners. I would try a local store that sales off-road equipment. Sometimes paying a little more at local shop could score you a trail or map that you didn’t have, And almost always they have cool rigs out front to look at.

The best way to meet new overlanders is to post up that you just bought the latest whatyamacallit and see if anyone on the forum wants to help install it. “If you build it they will come”

Good luck, and I hope you have a fun safe trip.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Michael,

Rich i saw your thread a couple of days ago and ALMOST responded, read through it, figured it was just inflammatory and clickbait, and moved on. My initial impression though is obviously not correct. It seems you're legitimately frustrated, and trying to break into a new community and new activity for spending family time. Dude, I TOTALLY get it. Here are my thoughts.

I started my interest in offroading and what is now called overlanding about 3 years ago, when my wife and I were living in Alabama. I spent a lot of time researching, couldn't find any info on any trails or places to go other than a podunk offroad park that really sucked. I was pissed that I ended up with a bunch of pinstriping on my newish truck.
Now, i've got a different vehicle, we live in Texas, my family and I get out more in 3 months than we did the previous 3 years, and I'm slowly realizing a few things:
1) Its not about the destination, its about the journey. I know that's a cliche thing to say, but its true! We just decided this year we were just going SOMEWHERE. So we literally picked the nearest state park, and spent a night out there. It was nothing fancy. We really enjoyed the time, learned some things, and got to test some new equipment, and I realized I didn't know as much about camping as I thought, even though I'm an Eagle scout and grew up in Boy Scouts. I'm SO GLAD i chose to stop worrying about finding the perfect place to go, or even finding something off pavement.

2) Learning a new hobby takes time: As we've done a few more of these trips, I've gotten a little bolder, spent some more time talking to some more local OB members in my area, and we've found some cooler trips to go on! And the thing is, I am NOT TALKING about cool offroad, offcamber, #overlanding trips. There was honestly very little instagramable content on any of these trips. These trips, by the online community's standards, were not cool. But our family got outside, and we learned stuff, and i see us progressing in a direction of learning more and having some great family time. The PROGRESSION has been a huge encouragement and blessing.

3) Getting investment from a community takes time, people tend to invest when they see you invested: Other people already said this. You don't get to walk into a new group of people and say "hey, i'm interested. invest in me". That's just not how people work. I've posted on tons of forums, reached out to friends, acquaintences, people who I KNOW get out every weekend to hunt, expressed interest in offroading and getting out more, and I've NEVER had someone invite me somewhere, or really give me much info on where to go. They give me tidbits. Honestly I'm sort of glad that's how it happened, its forced me to take my time and learn my family's own interests and desires along the way. But the people who didn't offer me anything didn't do anything i see as wrong, they weren't doing those activities so that they could help me with my newfound interest. They were doing those things for THEIR family, close friends, or themselves. I don't get to be part of someone else's inner circle just because I say "hey, we like the same thing".

My point in all of this? Dude, chill out, get some patience, and maybe a little humility. Your post at the beginning WAS inflammatory. Your last comment, that i quoted, towards Michael is SUPER passive aggressive and plays you as a bit of a victim. But do you see people jumping all over you? If this were ih8mud or some other random, larger forum, you would have been roasted in true online hater/troll style. That's not right, but it's how people often react towards comments like that. But go back and read the posts of everybody else posting here. People aren't hating. For the most part, everybody here has been in your boat at some point in their lives, and I hear a lot of empathy and people attempting to offer encouragement and wisdom. Honestly, i'm still sort of there with you. You just can't make your own lack of knowledge someone else's problem, and expect a random online community to fix it for you. In one sense, I'm actually super glad your post encourages more discussion focused on the "noob" or the newcomer, because that person often falls through the cracks. And I can tell you, a lot of the people here are actually interested in the community, geezers, newcomers, and everybody in between. Not the online community, but the real community that's made up of people. If you're not sure, just look at how many members use their real name as their username. What other online community exists where that happens? That's an oddity in today's technology-based relationships.

My recommendation for your questions? If i were anywhere near you and had any knowledge of the trails you're looking at, i'd throw it all at you and love it. Since I'm nowhere near you and have never heard of the trail you're hitting, I'll tell you my general approach to a new trip or route I don't know. Do some research, ask around. Then just go. Try it, and if you find the terrain is pushing you or your equipment or skill beyond safe limits, turn around and accept that as part of the adventure! When you get back, take some notes on what you learned, and try again next time! That's not a failure, there's learning to be had from that experience. Most importantly, maybe approach the community with a little less passive aggressiveness. I promise you, you're never going to grow good relationships with your local community by guilting them into helping you more than they already did. Also, dude, major props for prioritizing getting your family out in nature. God created a gorgeous world out there, and it is a JOY to be in it. Don't give up! Try some stuff and learn some stuff and keep on going. Really hope your trip goes well, and REALLY hope you can hear this community's desire to encourage and help you, not push you aside.

One more note: I may be off, but it sounds like you may not have much experience outdoors, or at least offroading. If you're legitimately concerned about the dangers of being stuck out in the woods with your kids, and no way out, you might seriously consider starting a bit milder, or even taking a trip or two to an offroad park to sharpen your skills a bit, shakedown and check out your equipment and ensure you are prepared to take care of your family on a backwoods adventure. Being backwoods and off the grid is so rewarding, but can be dangerous. If you're unsure, don't rely on random people you don't know to just give you some more reassurances! Maybe build your own ability to be self sufficient off the grid, before venturing ALL the way out. Just a thought. Because I obviously have lots of them :laughing:

Reactions: 100RNR and Steve

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

Rich i saw your thread a couple of days ago and ALMOST responded, read through it, figured it was just inflammatory and clickbait, and moved on. My initial impression though is obviously not correct. It seems you're legitimately frustrated, and trying to break into a new community and new activity for spending family time. Dude, I TOTALLY get it. Here are my thoughts.

I started my interest in offroading and what is now called overlanding about 3 years ago, when my wife and I were living in Alabama. I spent a lot of time researching, couldn't find any info on any trails or places to go other than a podunk offroad park that really sucked. I was pissed that I ended up with a bunch of pinstriping on my newish truck.
Now, i've got a different vehicle, we live in Texas, my family and I get out more in 3 months than we did the previous 3 years, and I'm slowly realizing a few things:
1) Its not about the destination, its about the journey. I know that's a cliche thing to say, but its true! We just decided this year we were just going SOMEWHERE. So we literally picked the nearest state park, and spent a night out there. It was nothing fancy. We really enjoyed the time, learned some things, and got to test some new equipment, and I realized I didn't know as much about camping as I thought, even though I'm an Eagle scout and grew up in Boy Scouts. I'm SO GLAD i chose to stop worrying about finding the perfect place to go, or even finding something off pavement.

2) Learning a new hobby takes time: As we've done a few more of these trips, I've gotten a little bolder, spent some more time talking to some more local OB members in my area, and we've found some cooler trips to go on! And the thing is, I am NOT TALKING about cool offroad, offcamber, #overlanding trips. There was honestly very little instagramable content on any of these trips. These trips, by the online community's standards, were not cool. But our family got outside, and we learned stuff, and i see us progressing in a direction of learning more and having some great family time. The PROGRESSION has been a huge encouragement and blessing.

3) Getting investment from a community takes time, people tend to invest when they see you invested: Other people already said this. You don't get to walk into a new group of people and say "hey, i'm interested. invest in me". That's just not how people work. I've posted on tons of forums, reached out to friends, acquaintences, people who I KNOW get out every weekend to hunt, expressed interest in offroading and getting out more, and I've NEVER had someone invite me somewhere, or really give me much info on where to go. They give me tidbits. Honestly I'm sort of glad that's how it happened, its forced me to take my time and learn my family's own interests and desires along the way. But the people who didn't offer me anything didn't do anything i see as wrong, they weren't doing those activities so that they could help me with my newfound interest. They were doing those things for THEIR family, close friends, or themselves. I don't get to be part of someone else's inner circle just because I say "hey, we like the same thing".

My point in all of this? Dude, chill out, get some patience, and maybe a little humility. Your post at the beginning WAS inflammatory. Your last comment, that i quoted, towards Michael is SUPER passive aggressive and plays you as a bit of a victim. But do you see people jumping all over you? If this were ih8mud or some other random, larger forum, you would have been roasted in true online hater/troll style. That's not right, but it's how people often react towards comments like that. But go back and read the posts of everybody else posting here. People aren't hating. For the most part, everybody here has been in your boat at some point in their lives, and I hear a lot of empathy and people attempting to offer encouragement and wisdom. Honestly, i'm still sort of there with you. You just can't make your own lack of knowledge someone else's problem, and expect a random online community to fix it for you. In one sense, I'm actually super glad your post encourages more discussion focused on the "noob" or the newcomer, because that person often falls through the cracks. And I can tell you, a lot of the people here are actually interested in the community, geezers, newcomers, and everybody in between. Not the online community, but the real community that's made up of people. If you're not sure, just look at how many members use their real name as their username. What other online community exists where that happens? That's an oddity in today's technology-based relationships.

My recommendation for your questions? If i were anywhere near you and had any knowledge of the trails you're looking at, i'd throw it all at you and love it. Since I'm nowhere near you and have never heard of the trail you're hitting, I'll tell you my general approach to a new trip or route I don't know. Do some research, ask around. Then just go. Try it, and if you find the terrain is pushing you or your equipment or skill beyond safe limits, turn around and accept that as part of the adventure! When you get back, take some notes on what you learned, and try again next time! That's not a failure, there's learning to be had from that experience. Most importantly, maybe approach the community with a little less passive aggressiveness. I promise you, you're never going to grow good relationships with your local community by guilting them into helping you more than they already did. Also, dude, major props for prioritizing getting your family out in nature. God created a gorgeous world out there, and it is a JOY to be in it. Don't give up! Try some stuff and learn some stuff and keep on going. Really hope your trip goes well, and REALLY hope you can hear this community's desire to encourage and help you, not push you aside.

One more note: I may be off, but it sounds like you may not have much experience outdoors, or at least offroading. If you're legitimately concerned about the dangers of being stuck out in the woods with your kids, and no way out, you might seriously consider starting a bit milder, or even taking a trip or two to an offroad park to sharpen your skills a bit, shakedown and check out your equipment and ensure you are prepared to take care of your family on a backwoods adventure. Being backwoods and off the grid is so rewarding, but can be dangerous. If you're unsure, don't rely on random people you don't know to just give you some more reassurances! Maybe build your own ability to be self sufficient off the grid, before venturing ALL the way out. Just a thought. Because I obviously have lots of them :laughing:
@bencleveland is right on all accounts, but he's still being a bit too PC [emoji16] I love OB, but people need to spend time doing their own research and learning on their own. Not everything will be found on OB, most of it won't to be honest. Invest the time and you'll get what you want out of it, just like the OP states. Post crap and expect to be spoon fed... and honestly you SHOULD get crap back. There's a reason ih8mud survives and thrives, there's a fine line between just showing up and expecting people to carry you and you doing the right thing which is research and more research. Its all out there. I'm no expert by any means but half the crap that gets posted here is pure laziness.

Sorry to be inflammatory but for those who've been around the block for even a few years know how tiresome it is when people whine and expect to be spoon fed without putting in the work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Ben Cleveland

Dich Rixon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Salem, MA
Member #

Thanks for the input. I have a ton of driving experience and wrenching experience and I have been known to be rambunctious and sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach hypothetically speaking.

Though passive aggressive, my comments spoke from the heart. The bottom line of my original post was that New England seems to be a different animal than the other regions. I chose to voice my opinion because I am enthusiastic about the future and excited about My Overland Bound journey. If it’s not a good fit it’s not a good fit. But I’ve got nothing to lose by voicing my opinion. I can respect that people are protective of this. It shows value to me. But assuming it’s something wrong with the new guy is just irresponsible in regards to the growth of this thing. Believe me if I had the where with all to start my own group meet ups and trail rides I would. But this is why I joined this community to follow others lead. Join in on the fun. Etc.

Dich Rixon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Salem, MA
Member #

@bencleveland is right on all accounts, but he's still being a bit too PC [emoji16] I love OB, but people need to spend time doing their own research and learning on their own. Not everything will be found on OB, most of it won't to be honest. Invest the time and you'll get what you want out of it, just like the OP states. Post crap and expect to be spoon fed... and honestly you SHOULD get crap back. There's a reason ih8mud survives and thrives, there's a fine line between just showing up and expecting people to carry you and you doing the right thing which is research and more research. Its all out there. I'm no expert by any means but half the crap that gets posted here is pure laziness.

Sorry to be inflammatory but for those who've been around the block for even a few years know how tiresome it is when people whine and expect to be spoon fed without putting in the work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app
I am not sure what gave the impression I wish to be spoon fed. I simply stated that I spent the money to buy the app, I spent the countless hours pouring over these maps trying to plan a route out. When no one had any insight I winged it and created a route and offered to share it with those who may be able to give some insight. If by not putting in the work you mean I haven’t driven 3.5 hours from home with my family to figure out the hard way that I shouldn’t have taken a particular trail..... your right I haven’t. I am not a fool. The only ones whining here are those who choose to go against what I thought this community was for. Helping one another, shared experiences, learning from each other’s mistakes. So I haven’t gone to any cars and coffees or whatever, I haven’t been to overland expo, big whoop. I put in the time and money that my life affords me. “ Doesn’t matter what you drive, doesn’t matter what you do, just get out there, adventure is necessary”. Does that only apply to seasoned guys or everybody?

Americonium

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Member #

Hey Dich,

I've been working non-stop since the end of April, and I haven't really had time to peruse the forums lately. For that, I apologize. That being said, I have some VT knowledge, no more or less than anyone else, but I wasn't there for you when you asked for help. I'm so terribly sorry for that. Please let me make it up to you. Send me a private message if you'd like, and I'll give you my best information. I hope you're not too soured by this experience.

Dich Rixon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Salem, MA
Member #

Hey Dich,

I've been working non-stop since the end of April, and I haven't really had time to peruse the forums lately. For that, I apologize. That being said, I have some VT knowledge, no more or less than anyone else, but I wasn't there for you when you asked for help. I'm so terribly sorry for that. Please let me make it up to you. Send me a private message if you'd like, and I'll give you my best information. I hope you're not too soured by this experience.
Thanks for the response. I have already gone on my trip. But thanks! And please don’t apologize or feel bad, I am not owed anything!