• HTML tutorial

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Hey all,

My better half and I are planning Moab, Death Valley and NW trip.

For the last part of our trip we need to be in Calgary by Sunday 16:00
So we want to make our last stop in a public area in the US before crossing on Saturday.
On the Thursday I want to camp in the mountains in you region then travel Friday over 4x4 dirt roads/ forestry roads camping Friday night in the hills then end up Saturday at the furthest away point from Calgary that I could drive Sunday in 9 - 12hrs

Thanks
For the help.

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

A couple questions for you.....

What kind of vehicle are in driving, are you pulling a trailer?

Where do you plan on crossing the border? Would Porthill, ID be okay? Google maps says it's 5-1/2 hours from Calgary.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

A couple questions for you.....

What kind of vehicle are in driving, are you pulling a trailer?

Where do you plan on crossing the border? Would Porthill, ID be okay? Google maps says it's 5-1/2 hours from Calgary.
Hi @stevenboise
I will be driving a Land Rover LR4 in overland mode, so no trailer, we will be either sleeping out of our tent or back of the vehicle.
I will be coming from the Death Valley area.
Any crossing is ok we are just looking at where is the best places to spend a day to rest up and do some visiting of sites before heading home.
If it’s anything like Calgary at that time of year we could still get a big dump of snow. So I am going to have to research what campgrounds or public recreational zones there are to free camp.
So really looking for a base camp area.

I will look at porthill thanks

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
1. What dates are you thinking?
2. Robinson lake is really close to Eastport crossing into Canada.
Most 4x4 roads in the area will be unpassable due to snow or closed for snowmobile use for the season.
3. Depending on the date you could camp here at my place here in Sandpoint.

Reactions: RainGoat

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I was thinking of starting from Calgary about 17 April then over the April 20th Easter long weekend. So we would be up In your end around Friday 26th.
This will depend on the GF work schedule

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

I can't speak to what the snow might be like in late April. I'll leave that to the locals.

The ID BDR runs from Porthill south. We stayed near Roman Nose on our trip and found it to be a nice area. You can't get a trailer into Roman Nose, which is why I was asking about a trailer. With just a vehicle, no issues at all.

This is the gps for Roman Nose, 48.634624, -116.568431. You can see the pullouts on Google Maps.

There are pullouts all along the road leading up there you can stay in as well if it's full. This one, 48.654565, -116.540609, is the one we stayed at. Large enough to be off the road and not be bugged much by vehicles on the road. We had a trailer and it was plenty big. You are about 2 hrs from the border (Porthill, ID) from Roman Nose.

Reactions: Fozzy325

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I can't speak to what the snow might be like in late April. I'll leave that to the locals.

The ID BDR runs from Porthill south. We stayed near Roman Nose on our trip and found it to be a nice area. You can't get a trailer into Roman Nose, which is why I was asking about a trailer. With just a vehicle, no issues at all.

This is the gps for Roman Nose, 48.634624, -116.568431. You can see the pullouts on Google Maps.

There are pullouts all along the road leading up there you can stay in as well if it's full. This one, 48.654565, -116.540609, is the one we stayed at. Large enough to be off the road and not be bugged much by vehicles on the road. We had a trailer and it was plenty big. You are about 2 hrs from the border (Porthill, ID) from Roman Nose.
many thanks,

I will plot this in the map as our final spot,
We have just made a decision it will be better at the end / mid May during the Overland West show as everyone will be at that. We will have the place to ourselves in most, it also gives us a better situation for the snow in the mountains.

Reactions: stevenboise

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I just looked at some tracks from last year's spring trail rides.
Both of these were just West of Coeur d'Alene Idaho.
March 24th we made it to 3083 ft
April 28th we reached 3820 ft
May 28th We Reach the top at 4413 ft with no snow in sight.
These were group rides. Some of us could have made it higher. I could have put on the snow chains and kept going. But I don't know how far I would have made it.
FYI:
I'm running a 2000 4Runner Rear Locker, 2in of lift, 32" mud terrains.
On the April trip we buried a JKU with 35's and had to dig him out.