Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

Hey guys!
I just wanted to pick everyone’s brain and see if anyone knew of a good winter camping location. We are headed up to northern VT for Christmas with my in laws. We will be there for 8 days and was wondering if anyone knew of any good winter camping spots? I found a few spots that are hike in but we want to camp out of the truck.
I broke out the 4 season tent and all my winter gear so really hoping we can find a spot thats within 3 maybe 4 hours max of northern VT. Brrrrrrrrr! Thank you!

Glenlivet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Craftsbury Common, VT
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Burke
Northern Vermont counties are experiencing a spike in Covid due to folks thinking it’s safe up here...and bringing it with them. The state is taking the quarantine mandate seriously as all counties are now red. You might want to check the state health department website for advisories before making the trip. Camping and lodging options are pretty much restricted to those here to help.

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

Northern Vermont counties are experiencing a spike in Covid due to folks thinking it’s safe up here...and bringing it with them. The state is taking the quarantine mandate seriously as all counties are now red. You might want to check the state health department website for advisories before making the trip. Camping and lodging options are pretty much restricted to those here to help.
I never asked about COVID or safety. Our family has decided to have a normal Christmas together and we’re not going to sit at home in fear. I wear a mask and wash my hands but I’m not going to live in fear and cancel Christmas. Since we will already be in VT for the holiday visiting family I was just asking if anyone knew of any nice spots.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Hey guys!
I just wanted to pick everyone’s brain and see if anyone knew of a good winter camping location. We are headed up to northern VT for Christmas with my in laws. We will be there for 8 days and was wondering if anyone knew of any good winter camping spots? I found a few spots that are hike in but we want to camp out of the truck.
I broke out the 4 season tent and all my winter gear so really hoping we can find a spot thats within 3 maybe 4 hours max of northern VT. Brrrrrrrrr! Thank you!
Spot on; I called a camp site in Northern VT not far from Lake Champlain a few months back and at that time due to COVID they had travel restrictions based on where you live. They actually had asked me for my county, which was listed as a green zone so I would have been approved to visit. Call before you make any travel plans.

Right now I find self with limited options for winter camping; all in Northern NY. Like you I have the gear ready to go, I'm actually waiting for my second canvas bell tent for the pups.
Do you use a camp stove, and what kind of tent are you using?

Glenlivet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Craftsbury Common, VT
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Burke
I never asked about COVID or safety. Our family has decided to have a normal Christmas together and we’re not going to sit at home in fear. I wear a mask and wash my hands but I’m not going to live in fear and cancel Christmas. Since we will already be in VT for the holiday visiting family I was just asking if anyone knew of any nice spots.
No need to get defensive. I’m just pointing out that the state is taking this seriously. Lodges and campgrounds are being spot checked to ensure their patrons are essential workers. If not, those business owners are subject to hefty fines. And the game warden rousted some out of state campers in the forest down the road. Call it fear if that makes you feel better, but the bottom line is the state is serious about limiting the spread

Mhobbes

Rank 0

Contributor I

Vermont, USA
First Name
M
Last Name
Hobbes
As a long time Vermonter - stay home. Not out of fear, but out of respect. Respect for healthcare providers, my wife is a doctor and has seen colleagues get very sick, fortunately no one has died. Respect for first responders. Respect for those keeping the supply chain running so you can get food.

There is nothing brave about you coming to Vermont, only selfishness. I find it ironic that during the season of giving, so many people only think of themselves.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Great point about the first responders, I would also like to point out that the camp sites in VT told me that they are turning around people at the gates if you have an out of state license / address that is in what they call a Red Zone.

You might be turned around, NY will enforce a Mandatory Quarantine for those traveling in NY State and if you do not have proof of a negative test within 3 days of travel. I'm sure VT will have something similar in place

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Here's VT's Policy as of November 10th:
Leisure Travel
Due to rising COVID-19 case counts across the Northeast, effective on November 10, 2020, the State of Vermont has suspended its leisure travel map and implemented a mandatory quarantine for anyone returning or traveling to Vermont.

This includes the Map: Cross State Travel Information | Agency of Commerce and Community Development

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

I really didn't want this to turn into a Covid 19 discussion thread. We are traveling to VT for Christmas to spend time with my wifes mother and father. We are not going to be running around town and going out to restaurants ect when we get there. We will be staying with them the entire time. I asked about camping bc going out alone into the woods is a safe activity during the pandemic. I would also like to go on a nice hike in the woods while there. We are not going down to church street without masks and acting like idiots. The reason I asked for a 3-4 hour radius is so we could find a camp and have enough fuel to return without stopping. I guess no one wants to discuss winter camping so Ill probably just delete the thread.

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Hey I understand, just wanted to provide you the state information, they will enforce a mandatory quarantine at your families home.

I was just informing you on what I was told over the phone. You might want to take a deeper dive into the regs.

Enjoy the holidays, take care

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I really didn't want this to turn into a Covid 19 discussion thread. We are traveling to VT for Christmas to spend time with my wifes mother and father. We are not going to be running around town and going out to restaurants ect when we get there. We will be staying with them the entire time. I asked about camping bc going out alone into the woods is a safe activity during the pandemic. I would also like to go on a nice hike in the woods while there. We are not going down to church street without masks and acting like idiots. The reason I asked for a 3-4 hour radius is so we could find a camp and have enough fuel to return without stopping. I guess no one wants to discuss winter camping so Ill probably just delete the thread.
It's the new pastime.

Removing ALL freedoms.

Reactions: Mitch65

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Oh and I’m glad to discuss winter camping at any time.
I just picked up two Bell Tents from White Duck Outdoors
Kni co Packer stove
mr heater buddy for the pups
Jackery 1000
And a backup Yahama SC2300i generator since the Jackery has a limited operating temp
I made sure to pick up all the winter gear, and I just ordered a sweet pair of snow shoes from REI
The pups have carhartt vests and boots

Glenlivet

Rank 0

Traveler I

Craftsbury Common, VT
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Burke
Every organized outdoor activity I’m aware of has been canceled or severely restricted, i.e., sign up for a time slot in advance with a limit on the number of people accepted even with distancing, masks and hand washing. If you just want to get out I’d suggest getting a map of the VAST snowmobile trails (Vermont Association of Snow Travelers). It looks like we will not have a white Christmas this year so the trails will be empty.

Keep in mind that current data is showing the vast majority of cases are not spread by large gatherings, but by small family and friend get togethers. Be safe. Keep your family safe.

Reactions: EBG18T

EBG18T

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Vermont, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
G
The VAST maps are pretty solid. It be aware of Who is on those trails. I got harrssed by a bunch of folks on sleds last year when I was fat biking on a section of multi use trail.