Northern CA: May Mid-Week Hollister Hills Trip

• HTML tutorial

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

I just found out that I have to work Tuesday- so no overnighter for me. I'm going to still try and make a one-day trip on Monday. We'll see.

Randy

Sounds good Randy. We can do an overnighter to make it worth your drive and to keep things laid back.

Any other takers?

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

Would this trip be suitable for a Subaru?
Depends on the trails. There's a large range of trails over 800 acres at Hollister, ranging from beginner to super advanced. You can push the limits of your Subaru and develop your driving skills. If things start getting a little uncomfortable for you, you can always park at a camp site and hop in someone else's rig.

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I might join you for this since the run on 4/28 is not happening due to the Upper Ranch closure for a motorcycle race.

Would this trip be suitable for a Subaru?
There are a few (very few) green trails at HH that you could run but the majority of the trails are moderate and have some spots that may be difficult for you. I always recommend skid plates and sliders to mitigate damage but careful driving and knowing your limits also go a long way towards protecting your rig.

Here is a link to the trail map - http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1170/files/hollisterhillstext_upperranch_final.pdf

icant4x4heretoo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hayward, CA
Member #

Come on out! I'd be happy to give you a driving 101 course and take you on some easier trails at Hollister. You can always jump in another truck on the harder trails if you want to watch/learn that way.

What kind of vehicle do you have? Any off road specifics upgrades?
1999 Montero SR with 33"

icant4x4heretoo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hayward, CA
Member #

Its stock bumbers. front has recovery point on the RHS, and is a hook, the rear has a hitch mount with recovery reciever...i just need to buy a D ring shackle for it.

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

Its stock bumbers. front has recovery point on the RHS, and is a hook, the rear has a hitch mount with recovery reciever...i just need to buy a D ring shackle for it.
That should work well. I have a quality strap and shackles if we need it. For your own kit, I'd definitely look into some soft shackles. So much easier to store in the truck, safer, and usually stronger. This is what I'll be moving to from my steel shackles – https://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/3-8-Soft-Shackle-20-leg-p/st-50013so.htm

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Sooo- I was driving the Jeep around last night with my son.... and it just DIED! It was like I ran out of gas. My gas gauge in not working right now, so I thought maybe I miscalculated my mileage. So, I put about two gallons from my jerry can in the tank. I cranked it for as long as I thought it would take to get the fuel back up to carb, but it didn't start.

So we walked home and got my truck to tow it home. When I got back to the Jeep with my truck I tried starting it, just for giggles.... and it started right up!

I took it down to the gas station- running fine the whole time. I filled the tank. It took a total of 16 gallons (including the two I put in from my jerry can). I have a 26 gallon tank- so it doesn't seem like I was actually out of gas....

So now I have a mystery to figure out...

Long story short: It doesn't look like I will be able to make it to Hollister next week.

Randy

That's cool, Randy. Thanks for the update. A full day trip will still be fun.

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

Sooo- I was driving the Jeep around last night with my son.... and it just DIED! It was like I ran out of gas. My gas gauge in not working right now, so I thought maybe I miscalculated my mileage. So, I put about two gallons from my jerry can in the tank. I cranked it for as long as I thought it would take to get the fuel back up to carb, but it didn't start.

So we walked home and got my truck to tow it home. When I got back to the Jeep with my truck I tried starting it, just for giggles.... and it started right up!

I took it down to the gas station- running fine the whole time. I filled the tank. It took a total of 16 gallons (including the two I put in from my jerry can). I have a 26 gallon tank- so it doesn't seem like I was actually out of gas....

So now I have a mystery to figure out...

Long story short: It doesn't look like I will be able to make it to Hollister next week.

Randy
Oh boy! Sounds like you need to bust out the test light and see where you’re not getting spark. Could be a loose wire on your distributor or coil. I had similar issues a while back, my ground wire came loose from the coil.

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

Hey all, with the lack of interest in this trip, I'm going to take Monday to wrench on my truck instead of hitting the trails. I got called into work for Tuesday night, so I'd have to leave Tuesday morning anyways (@shroedreamer).

I may be able to push this trip to Wednesday (05/02) for a quick overnighter, and then leave Hollister Hills Thursday morning. Anybody have interest in this?