Modesto, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Crutchfield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZZT
This will be a 4 day excursion with a mix of pavement and dirt roads. Think of this as more of a road trip than an outright overlanding trip. All of the fun and community will still be included as usual. Most of the distance is from the drive to the 1st campsite and home from the last campsite. Trails are expected to be easy in difficulty, but please be prepared for anything.

View Rally Point

HumBolXT

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Humboldt CA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Craig
Hey everyone, I JUST joined up today. Saw this forum and recognized the photo; I hiked that exact trail on Saturday (I live in Humboldt). I'm hoping to get involved in some overlanding community soon. Unfortunately, I can't make this one as my wife and I are heading towards Ashland, OR that weekend. Enjoy the Lost Coast!

OTG_one

Rank V

Traveler III

Novato, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Easley
Member #

Hey guys,

Not sure what the route looks like, but the gate north of Usal Beach is locked during the wet season (until april or may usually). If you're planning to camp at Usal, you'll have to backtrack to the 101, go through Garberville, and take pavement to Shelter Cove before you're back on dirt.

06tacodude

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
Hey guys,

Not sure what the route looks like, but the gate north of Usal Beach is locked during the wet season (until april or may usually). If you're planning to camp at Usal, you'll have to backtrack to the 101, go through Garberville, and take pavement to Shelter Cove before you're back on dirt.
The discussion was to back track to 101 like you mentioned.

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
The rough outline is camp at Usal Beach Friday night, then drive through and tour Avenue of the Giants, possibly lunch on the Eel River (off roading a little) which is just north of Founders Grove, and disperse camping Saturday night, Sunday drive to Fern Canyon which is stunning (bring water boots) to hike up the stream, and camp at or near Jedediah Smith Redwoods. Howland Hills Rd is a fun dirt road through JSR and Grove of the Titans is there as well. Monday we travel north up through Grants Pass Oregon and it’s about 6 hrs south down Hwy 5 to Modesto.

Thats why Jason called it a road-trip camping type trip, but the whole area is so gorgeous even from the road :)

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
These are some of my photos from the trip, sorry my truck is in some of them, but just trying to show what you’ll see:

@FiveOnFridays awesome drone shot of our Father’s Day trip to Usal BeachAB96D0B6-1200-4F92-8F0C-1BFDA62D5345.jpeg
Avenue of the Giants, Founder’s Grove
1679B110-2B49-4E96-A3E6-190C1132221A.jpeg

Eel River, right on the shore
FADBFE8F-2CF5-4CD4-AB33-BB3C16677619.jpeg

Trees Of Mystery with Paul Bunyan and Babe
2B7DD4D4-3D18-46BF-8C05-BC49B811F294.jpeg

Fern Canyon, the hiker shows the scale as you hike upstream
9DACC076-340A-4291-9967-D8B05D7B1B47.jpeg

Howland Hill RD
B0CC2667-4EB3-48BC-AB6F-9F3CBE2D5819.jpeg

Jedediah Smith Redwoods Campground Area, or dispersed camping nearby

8BF88C96-42AF-4681-B405-93612A089922.jpeg

TheDrakes

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sacramento
Member #

The rough outline is camp at Usal Beach Friday night, then drive through and tour Avenue of the Giants, possibly lunch on the Eel River (off roading a little) which is just north of Founders Grove, and disperse camping Saturday night, Sunday drive to Fern Canyon which is stunning (bring water boots) to hike up the stream, and camp at or near Jedediah Smith Redwoods. Howland Hills Rd is a fun dirt road through JSR and Grove of the Titans is there as well. Monday we travel north up through Grants Pass Oregon and it’s about 6 hrs south down Hwy 5 to Modesto.

Thats why Jason called it a road-trip camping type trip, but the whole area is so gorgeous even from the road :)
Sounds fun! Am I reading the meeting coordinates correctly-- Are we meeting north of Usal Beach?
-Denise