Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
Wanting to do some exploring in the NW corner of the state. Not so much in Dinosaur NM but in that area. So west of Craig and north of US 40. Any suggestions and GPS files will be appreciated. Time frame will be this year sometime this summer.

Cheers!

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Just over the UT border North of 40 I highly recommend the Ashley National Forest area. I think it’s too early in the year to get far, but there is the unpaved red cloud scenic byway (and side roads) with a ton of hiking, exploring, and isolated camping. The attached picture is from Red Fleet reservoir in the area. Flaming Gorge is also an awesome place.

I don’t have much info on the CO side. Diamond Peak (9,665ft) is N of 40 there. It’s the 24th most prominent peak in CO. Next time I’m in the area I plan to bag that peak and explore the surrounding area more.
IMG_1795.JPG

Reactions: NateDCo and Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@jerdog53
Wanting to do some exploring in the NW corner of the state. Not so much in Dinosaur NM but in that area. So west of Craig and north of US 40. Any suggestions and GPS files will be appreciated. Time frame will be this year sometime this summer. Cheers!

I'd throw out Trappers Lake in the Flat Tops Wilderness Area, Great in the summer just get out before Hunting season, or wear blaze orange and make a lot of noise if out camping and hiking. The Amphitheater is cool looking formation that can be picturesque in the right light.

Boort

Reactions: MtnManAlex

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

As for know "trails", the Yampa Bench and Echo Park trails are what I know of north of 40. Theres a bunch more dirt roads and cool old Mining town south of 40 between Rangely and Fruita...Dragon Mining area, Baxter Pass trail, ETC.

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Ive done dinosaur but not much else up that way. Diamond mountain area north of vernal has some cool areas if you head up towards flaming gorge.

The domingues- Escalante National Conservation area is just south of there and has some really cool trails and destinations to visit. From dry creek beds, indian petroglyphs, natural arches, slot canyons, and just cool 4x4 trails it has it all.

I do a lot of exploring in western Colorado and am always up for a trip!

Reactions: Anchor Mtn

NateDCo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Deveaux
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF6MNN
Wanting to do some exploring in the NW corner of the state. Not so much in Dinosaur NM but in that area. So west of Craig and north of US 40. Any suggestions and GPS files will be appreciated. Time frame will be this year sometime this summer.

Cheers!
I'm thinking of travelling that area around the July time frame. Looks like there are some good areas along the Little Snake River.