Contributor III

Lymm, Cheshire UK
First Name
clifford
Last Name
O’Leary
Member #

Hi all,

Does anyone still do, or are you considering, doing the classic North to South - Trans Africa overland expedition?

It looks like the West & East Coast routes are still possible although the days of having a choice of routes down the middle of North Africa are no longer safe/possible due to the numerous geopolitical problems in the region.

Number one on my bucket list is spending 1-3 years making the trip and seeing as much of Sub-sahara Afica as possible. Maybe going down one side and up the other with plenty of time spent enjoying the trip. I am not looking at setting any speed records. At the moment it remains a dream but I am targeting 2019/2020 as the start date and have now started things off by aquireing and fitting out of a rig for such a trip. 2004 Land Rover Defender Td5 SW.

I plan to get the rig built-out this summer and then start practicing later in this year and into the following year by making various trips around the UK & Ireland, then mainland Europe, then down to Morocco etc and building up to joining the Spain to Dakar International Ralley in the adventure category in early 2019. If this lengthy shake down works out then maybe starting the Trans Africa towards the end of 2019 or early 2020.

Not sure how far (if anywhere) I will get with the plan but if I don't try I will grow old sitting by the sunny window wishing I did.

Step 1. Outfit - underway
Step 2. Explore - just need to get on with getting out there

i would love to hear if anyone has similar dreams, hopes or plans, or if you are already on such an expedition.

Clifford