Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Well it looks like the Lifestyle Overland family is heading due north this summer... way north!
I'm scheduled to be laid off from my job in New Mexico around the June time frame so we are going to load up the 4Runner and Turtleback and begin a 1 to 2 month (if not more) expedition to the arctic. This will be our research thread as we begin to nail down the boundaries of our very fluid itinerary.

I already found that several OB members will be Alaska Bound this summer as well so I'm looking forward to sharing resources and ideas with you all! Not gonna lie, I'm so excited for this I've got goosebumps as I type this...

As of right now the only destination we have on the list is the Dalton highway, but we will range out once we make it as far north as possible.

We will be doing a video series on this trip and sharing on our YouTube channel once completed. I can't wait to start this adventure! Guess I better get back to work now before I get volunteered to start this trip too early. :wink:

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

If you pass near Hope alaska, theres a quaint little tavern and just out of town (if you can call Hope that) theres some roads back up into the mountains with some killer camp spots. I only went up as far as my honda accord could go but the trail went on further.
Bring lots of Ben's bug spray you will need it.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Got these ordered today:
If you pass near Hope alaska, theres a quaint little tavern and just out of town (if you can call Hope that) theres some roads back up into the mountains with some killer camp spots. I only went up as far as my honda accord could go but the trail went on further.
Bring lots of Ben's bug spray you will need it.
Thanks for the tip! We will add it to the list.

Sorry you are getting laid off but sometimes things happen for a reason. New roads can lead to new doors...looking forward to seeing your plans. Alaska is a dream trip :triumph:
We came to NM for a 6 month long job and it turned into 7 years so no complaints here! Time to travel a bit before finding the next gig.

Got the first few trip items ordered today...

61qxMAeJveL.jpg A1E41tqCrGL.jpg

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Got these ordered today:

Thanks for the tip! We will add it to the list.

We came to NM for a 6 month long job and it turned into 7 years so no complaints here! Time to travel a bit before finding the next gig.

Got the first few trip items ordered today...

View attachment 17707 View attachment 17712
Looks like Milepost is a desirable item for planning AK trip. My wife got me this edition for Valentines as she knows I've been planning for a few months... There will likely be a few more editions before we make it though!

Best of luck, Walt

Attachments

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Crossing through MN into Ontario and over. It's a long way but I've got family in MN and will be coming from the East coast.

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
We may on the return leg. All subject to change as we've only had one meeting to discuss. We've not even nailed down what year! Walt

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

I did my first Overland trip to Alaska in 2009. I did it a second time in 2011, when I moved to Alaska for good. Both of these trips stand out as Grand Adventures for me. I believe you will find "The Milepost" to be your most valuable resource. I live in Palmer and would be thrilled to meet up with you guys! I'll see to it that you get a proper Alaskan dinner. Also, please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance, or even just provide info, during any portion of your trip. A word of caution, many folks come up "just for a visit," and end up never leaving. :-)

thomcl22

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Steamboat Springs Colorado
Member #

I did my first Overland trip to Alaska in 2009. I did it a second time in 2011, when I moved to Alaska for good. Both of these trips stand out as Grand Adventures for me. I believe you will find "The Milepost" to be your most valuable resource. I live in Palmer and would be thrilled to meet up with you guys! I'll see to it that you get a proper Alaskan dinner. Also, please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance, or even just provide info, during any portion of your trip. A word of caution, many folks come up "just for a visit," and end up never leaving. :-)
I will be driving to Alaska this summer and will be looking forward to reaching out to you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Kelly and AKBushDag

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

We will keep you posted on our route, and I really would like to get any advice you're willing to offer for overlanding up there!
I've been warned by several folks who know me and know Alaska... so not ruling out staying :sunglasses:.

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

We will keep you posted on our route, and I really would like to get any advice you're willing to offer for overlanding up there!
I've been warned by several folks who know me and know Alaska... so not ruling out staying :sunglasses:.
I have plenty of information that I'd be delighted pass on. I certainly don't know it all, and there are always other perspectives, but I'll help in any way I can. My first suggestion is on safety. For any remote (off the beaten path) travel, I Always recommend two important communication items, 1) an Iridium Satellite phone (you can buy or rent one), go with the Iridium, not any other brand, and 2) A "Personal Locator Beacon," (PLB) such as the "ACR ResQLink ," https://www.acrartex.com/products/outdoor DO NOT, use a "Spot" or an "InReach," they are not PLB's! I'm not knocking them, but they are "Personal Messenger," recreational devices (toys), built to the same standards as your typical garage door opener (not exaggerating here). I could go on and on, but I'll save that for another discussion. Let me end by explaining that I speak with considerable experience on these devices as I sold them (PLB's & The Spot) when I worked for an REI Store (5 years). I know them inside out!

For any members who read this and have a different opinion as to the "Spot/InReach," you/we are all entitled to your own opinion and I mean no disrespect. I would, however, encourage you to do more research on these items as we're truly talking Life or Death situations here.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@AKBushDag Very interesting point on the PLB... I've had my concerns about the reliability of the inReach in a true life or death situation but how would one truly test it? I'll look into the PLB asap. Any suggestions on where to rent a Sat phone? I don't think I can justify buying one (unless we decided to stay of course :wink:).

What are your thoughts on the Bear and Moose dangers? We are not accustomed to the threat in the southwest so it's been on my mind a lot having a 3 year old in tow.

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

My I suggest you start your research on the PLB by going to the ACR website. They have a very good animated comparison on all the different devices. Then, go to http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emerbcns.htmlgive Then give me a call and I'll give you the in depth 411 as to the reliability of the PLB's. In Summary they are built to very high, exacting International standards (as they are governed by International law and work anywhere in the world). They are essentially as fail safe as humanly possible. They have two built in device testing systems, one checks and verifies the functions of the internal electronics and battery condition, the other sends a test message/signal to the satellite system and confirms the connection. The PLB's came to use in the early 1980's, first as EPIRBS for use in Maritime operations, (this was even before GPS). The units are very affordable and there is No Monthly Service Fee for the PLB to function/send a rescue alert. Under International Law, when a PLB is activated the agency assigned by the Government (based on global location) is REQUIRED respond and locate that PLB. The only delay would be if the Weather made in impossible to fly. A PLB is triple redundant in broadcasting it's location, the primary signal is sent via 406 MHz, unlike a GPS (which requires "line of sight" to lock onto those satellites), the 406 frequency can travel through obstacles. The other signal is a "Homing Signal" that the rescue units can lock in on when they get within about 5 miles from your location. These two combined systems have successfully rescued countless numbers of folks in themselves. The PLB's now also have an internal GPS, which adds a third dimension to finding you. Each system works independently and also in conjunction with the others. Compare that to the "Personal Messengers," which only have a GPS locator (stuck down in a ravine, good luck with that!), require you pay a monthly fee for use of their sat phone service, and have a record of spotty performance, especially the Spot and especially up here in the Far North. Add to that the fact that government are Not Required to respond to any emergency/help signal from any Personal Messenger, and there are times when they have not. So... if the government responds to a rescue, there is usually no charge to the individual for the service. The Personal Messenger services know this, that's why, when you buy one of there products, they encourage you to also buy their "Rescue Insurance," (again more $$ for them/more cost for you). They will "try" to get the government to respond, but since they can't guarantee this, the "Rescue Insurance" is to pay for a private rescue service, i.e., an air ambulance or similar. This may be OK?, but the private services simply do not have the same capability/equipment/rescue training as a government rescue operation. What I am telling you here is based on the documented facts readily available to anyone who wants to do the research and also by my personal conversations with the factory reps and sales people of these devices.

Last edited:

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

Now then, as to your question's on Bear Safety. Let me first explain that there are many individuals who believe that the only effective defense against a Bear attack is a firearm, preferably a 12 GA shotgun. These individuals will staunchly argue that the firearm is the only way to protect yourself and that if you don't heed their warning, you will surely die. That's their opinion and they are welcome to it and you are also free to disagree with my position on this matter and that's OK. Again, I always do my research/homework so I strongly recommend to get a copy of "Bear Attacks, Their Causes and Avoidance," By Stephen Herrero (ISBN-13: 978-1-58574-557-9). There are number of books on this subject, but IMHO this book is the absolute best. As for your actual protection, I always carry a can of Bear Spray (get one for each adult). Have it readily available as in on your hip, not in your pack. I have been charged by both Moose and Grizzly Bears and I can personally attest to the excellent results of using this spray. Again, when one does their research, the facts clearly show that Bear Spray is the most evocative protection against the bear. In fact, when used correctly, I am unaware of any instance where it failed. Compare this to the use of a firearm, which only have about a 50% chance of stopping a bear attack. Do I carry a firearm, yes sometimes I do, in fact sometimes a carry a large caliber revolver and also a 12 GA shotgun. But, no matter what else I carry, I always carry Bear Spray and it is always my First choice of defense. A little more about the use of a firearm. Let me explain that I have considerable experience in the use of firearms for defense as a retired peace officer. Not only that, but I was a NRA Certified Law Enforcement (i.e., combat) Firearms Instructor. I am not mentioning this to impress you or anything like that. I just think it's important if someone is giving advice, especially Life and Death advice, then they have an obligation to say what qualifies them to speak on the subject. Most folks do not understand that there is a difference in the marksmanship skills used to hunt/target shoot, etc. However, they do not understand that trying to stop a charging bear requires a completely different skill set i.e., combat shooting. Once you understand bear behavior, you will learn that the majority of bear charges are "bluff" charges. However when confronted with a charging bear, the hunter/target shooter often ends up only wounding the Bear(or completely missing altogether). Now you have a bear that probably was only bluffing, that becomes wounded and now, because you have injured it, does attack you in self-defense. OK - I'm done now. Not usually so long winded, but I feel this is an important subject. So... remember there is no offense taken if you disagree with my position and also I understand if you are not comfortable with my previous career and would rather not meet up. If you do get Bear Spray, you want to make sure the brand is accepted by Canada. You should be OK with either The Counter Assault brand or the UDAP brand. Safe Trails!

Last edited:

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

Almost forgot! You should be able to Google "Satellite Phone Rentals" for the nearest location(s) in your area. You can compare prices but they are usually fairly competitive. Just make sure you rent an "Iridium" brand, nothing else (a big stay away from anything by Globstar). I use the Iridium 9555 Model, there are older versions that may be cheaper to rent, but I recommend the 9555 if it's in your budget.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@AKBushDag Awesome! Thanks for the in-depth responses, you've given me a lot to consider.

I spent some time on the ACR website and watched several videos on the PLB today... that one is going on the list now. I didn't realize the vast difference in the PLB and the Delorme type devices when it comes to true SHTF situations. Thanks for that point of advice.

As to the bear defense, I'll look into the sprays you recommended for sure. I'll also be carrying the lead sprayer as well for backup, not that I think it's the best solution, but because I believe in redundant solutions. What firearms do you carry and/or recommend to keep the Canadians happy when I cross over?

I'll definitely check out the 9555 sat phone, thanks for the specific model info!

Again, thanks so much for the info. I'm truly eating it up!

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

Glad to be able to offer any info/help I can. For Canada, I have two linkes for you: 1) How to bring a Firearm into Canada, go to: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm, choose Option 1 then click on "Non-Resident Firearm Declaration," (have three copies of this form) Handguns are "Restricted" and dam near impossible to get into Canada, I wouldn't even try (besides a handgun is the least reliable in terms of being able to stop a bear). Your best bet is a 12 Gauge pump-action shotgun, a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, with an 18.5" Barrel. Your reason for needing the firearm in Canada is for Protection Against Wildlife, as you will be traveling into remote areas. They will probably ask you how many rounds of ammunition you are bringing in (and what type as well). They will naturally be suspicious if you come ready for WWIII, so I only carry 12 rounds, six rifled slugs and six OO Buck. I also carry a dozen "Bear Banger" (noise making only) rounds and a dozen Rubber Slugs. There is a fee ($25.00 if I remember right) for the application/declaration form. I don't think they take credit cards, or checks and Also I think they will want the money in Canadian currency (brain fade here!). Usually not a problem at major border crossings as they have currency exchange stations there.

and 2), For entry requirements/instructions, go to: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/tourist.asp. Best bet, have a Passport (or Passport Card) for everyone, including (and especially for) children. If you're bringing your pet, you'll need a copies of their Rabies Vaccination, as well as any other vaccinations, and also a "Certificate of Health Examination" from your vet, which is not older than 30 days. Have all your paperwork in order and your entry should go smooth. They will do a background check before letting you in if your bringing a firearm, which will take a while. Also, don't be surprised if they decide to search your car, as it's happened to me. Just stay calm and cooperate. Realize that they are usually not very personable or friendly, they have a serious job to do. Don't take it personally.

Last edited: