Inwood, Iowa, United States
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
Well ladies and gents I am transitioning out of the military in the next month and a half, which involves a half way across country road trip! I've been trying to make a tentative plan as I have several stops along the way. So far the plan is to avoid the interstate and take a scenic approach to just reflect on the past decade and visit some friends and family along the way. Take a gander at the map and if you know of any sweet places to check out that are along my route let me know! I'd love to find several stops along the way to make it well worth it.

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
So far I have a couple places planned out for the first/second leg of my journey. Mostly just destinations I want to check out before I head back to the Midwest. Here they are, if you have any suggestions let me know!

New York:
Sackett's Harbor
Belhurst Castle
Spook Hill
Watkins Glen State Park
Talighannock Falls
Buttermilk Falls
Pennsylvania:
Hickory Run State Park (Boulder Field)
Centralia, PA
Gettysburg Battlefield/Devil's Den
Wolf Sanctuary
Maryland:
Antietam Battlefield
Mount Vernon
Mallows Bay (ship graveyard)
Virginia:
Mathews, VA
Cape Henry Lighthouse

More or less just heading down the coast and staying off the interstates. I am hitting up a buddy in Arlington and possibly spending a night in DC. I've been there multiple times, so not too hard pressed to see the National Monument Corridor. I would have loved to shoot to the west side of Virginia to hit up GWNF, but I am heading down to the outer banks in North Carolina to meet up with a couple other buddies for a day. I'll post up more as I plan out NC, TN, KY, IN, IL, IA, and lastly into South Dakota. Any suggestions throw them in! Uwharrie is definitely on the list in NC, I can say that much.

Mr. Nelson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZZK
Well the trip didn't go as planned. Being away from the family for an extended period swayed me differently. As soon as I received the green light I went straight to the Outer Banks and then up to South Dakota. It took three days, so slightly leisurely? Either way I would love to actually hit several of these destinations in the future and hopefully will be afforded the opportunity.