Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
What a beautiful day for a drive. We left the Sandpoint area just after 10 o’clock in the morning shrouded in fog with overcast skies. After a quick run up the highway, about 30 minutes, we headed North North-West towards the mountains near Naples, ID. You could follow the highway another 7 miles if you wanted to, but we kind of like getting off the main roads in favor of the back roads.
Cook Lake Roman Nose Map.jpg
Our track for the day

The goal for the day was a small section of road, the last quarter mile, on the way to Cooks Lake. As expected, we did run into snow as we got higher in elevation. Nothing too bad.
Mike Leading.jpg
Mike leading the way through the snow

In addition to the snow, we found sunshine. As we climbed up out and above the fog it made for a spectacular day.
Valley Fog.jpg
The fog below

When we arrived at the final turnoff to Cooks Lake there was lots of snow on the ground. The driving wasn’t too bad, but we passed spots where it appeared that others had turned back. We are not the biggest rigs on the trail, but I feel we were A: being safe in our driving, and B: traveling in a well-equipped pair of trucks. I am hiding a 10,000-pound winch behind the front bumper and snow chains while Mike is sporting 4 MAXTRAX on the roof. The final push to the lake looked to be a fun challenge, but our best recovery tactic kicked in and we decided it would be pushing it too hard to try the accent.
Cooks Final.jpg
Very steep with lots of snow covering the track

This map show the destination zoomed in with the last quarter mile that we walked in to see the lake.
Cooks Lake zoomed in.jpg
The Blue section is steep. High clearance vehicles with 4 Low. We didn’t attempt this today, but I will when the now is gone

This was yet another cool little alpine lake here in the North Idaho Panhandle. Mike and I talked about a summer overnight trip here that we’ll need to get on the calendar. It’s not too far of a drive and would be a great spot for a handful of rigs to make camp, for a social gathering. For today the little lake was mostly covered in ice.
cooks lake small.jpg
Cooks Lake already frozen in mid-November

After the short hike to the lake and back we headed over to Roman Nose for some hot, Overlanding style, lunch. Mike fired up the 4Runner’s kitchen and in a few minutes, we were eating hot lunch and enjoying the sunshine. On the way out we stopped for more pictures of the valley fog.
Around every corner.jpg
Great views around every corner

4Runners Ready.jpg
4Runners ready for adventure

Our total track length from Naples was 61.3 miles starting at an elevation of 1787ft and reaching 5750ft at the base of the road to Cooks Lake and 5911ft at Roman Nose.
Cook Lake Roman Nose Elevation Plot.jpg
Elevation Plot

Link to .gpx file:

Last edited:

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Ok, This will be an overnight trip in the summer months. Easy access. Fun 4WD Low section. Places to go explore. And an awesome destination. Here is a google earth view. You can see where we parked with the end of our track. The section to the lake is about 1/4 of a mile, Steep and full of lumps and bumps.
GoogleEarth_Image Cooks Lake.jpg
Google Earth Cooks Lake

We can easily fit a handful of overlanders in the clearing at the NE end of the lake.

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: britz
E

expeditionnorth

Awesome post
I have a ham radio friend KI6DL in Athol ID which I think it somewhere near there