Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
So right on schedule they released the North East Backcountry Discovery Route. Unlike the Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route it is not 100% passable by 4 wheeled road going vehicles but that certainly wont stop people from exploring the rest of it. These are two points that stuck out for me.

- The folks at BDR consider it their 2nd most challenging route

- It’s 1,400 miles long

Here it is...

Last edited:

Randy.Hill

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rumford, RI
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I saw that, didn't realize at first it was for bikes and was wondering about some of the route....makes more sense that it's not all 4wd friendly :)

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
It looks like it would be nice. I have driven many of the roads it goes on or intersects, at least the NY part. That area is scenic.
Not counting seasonal issues they consider the 1,400 mile NEBDR to be the 2nd most difficult. I’m sure it’s, at the very least, scenic. I hope I get to take a crack at it sooner than later and come up with some workarounds for the single track sections.

Reactions: DevilDodge

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Driven or hiked on most of the Western Maine section. Might try and do the section from Greenwood North this Summer. Would be interesting

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Did from Hunter mtn to Readesboro on Columbus Day. Route is blocked by a billion trees at 42.39315, -73.20425 but just to the right a bypass has been made. So incredibly scenic and it had a good mix of paved and unpaved roads.

Attachments

Reactions: BT4R and DevilDodge

Aloha_Cruiser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
S.
I know it’s last minute. If anyone wants to join let me know.
I plan on doing section 4 this Saturday. I’ve heard on this leg some of the class iv sections are intense, we’re going to take it easy and most likely bypass those. We will be camping in a dispersed campsite Saturday night and driving down route 7 near some of the quarries on Sunday.

Reactions: Dusther210 and LGlx

LGlx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NJ
Member #

I know it’s last minute. If anyone wants to join let me know.
I plan on doing section 4 this Saturday. I’ve heard on this leg some of the class iv sections are intense, we’re going to take it easy and most likely bypass those. We will be camping in a dispersed campsite Saturday night and driving down route 7 near some of the quarries on Sunday.
Thanks for posting. I was just at VT for almost a week. Enjoy!

Reactions: Dusther210

Aloha_Cruiser

Rank II

Enthusiast II

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
S.
We hit up a portion of the NEBDR started in Mt Greylock and jumped on the end of section 3 and continued on to section 4.
we stopped at the Raycroft lookout. Unfortunately didn’t do as much of section 4 as we wanted, we will have to do it again. But the class iv roads weren’t too bad. We had a chainsaw just in case. Didn’t have to use it but there were some freshly cut trees across some of the roads.
There are bypass routes for all the class iv roads. But like everyone says be courteous and mindful of the neighborhoods so these routes stay open.

Attachments

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Thanks for the post! Just got it loaded into Gaia and trying to plan a trip for Memorial Day Weekend. Gladly take on any and all suggestions.

It looks like you’re in a good place to check out section 4. It would also be great to get some intel of that section on here

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits