Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Manchester, PA, USA
First Name
evans
Last Name
rohrbaugh
Member #

Hey peeps , I’m up in Pa and traveling down to Bogue Sound area to visit family at the end of March. Trying to figure out if dispersed camping is allowed anywhere in the forest ? Or just certain places ? And do I need a permit ?

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Best thing to do is call the local office.

And if you've never browsed around their interactive map, you may find it addicting like I do.

Reactions: CopperBrownJK

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
Cape Lookout part of the National Seashore is on my list. Not sure if it is always open or if it has seasons but I do know you will need to catch a ferry to get there that can be expensive.

Reactions: CopperBrownJK

CopperBrownJK

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Manchester, PA, USA
First Name
evans
Last Name
rohrbaugh
Member #

CopperBrownJK

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Manchester, PA, USA
First Name
evans
Last Name
rohrbaugh
Member #

Sorry I didn't see this before your trip. How did it go?

Was awesome man !! Other then getting stuck in a deep mud hole on Wolf Swamp Rd and having to winch myself out ..... but that’s part of overlanding !! Here’s a link to my GoPro footage in my YouTube channel

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Nice! I'll check out the vid this evening. The Croatan is such a cool place. It's unfortunate that it has suffered decades of abuse from dumping and litter. Some of what would be amazing camp sites are trashed with broken glass, beer cans, shotgun shells and brass casings. I think I need to keep an eye out for someone doing a community cleanup or (god forbid) organizing one myself. :grinning:

Despite that, there's still some tucked away gems for camping and several hours of trails to explore.

Edit:
I enjoyed your video, thanks for sharing.

Last edited: