Noob Training

• HTML tutorial

John Worley

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Livermore, CA
Member #

New to off-roading, is there any good instructors/classes in the Bay Area to help me get started right? I'm not going to be the guy that gets stuck in a ditch their first time out.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
New to off-roading, is there any good instructors/classes in the Bay Area to help me get started right? I'm not going to be the guy that gets stuck in a ditch their first time out.
Nothing wrong with getting stuck, happens to the best of us!

Great learning opportunities there.

You've got the right idea though, find someone that can give you some credible advice, but most of all get out and practice.

Lot's of guys in the SF bay area that go out, I'm sure they'd welcome you to come along, especially if you have that teachable mentality.

Dan.

John Worley

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Livermore, CA
Member #

Thanks - great resources and advice. I want to get the basics down then headout with some of the Overland Bound members. The founder only lives 5 miles from me so I'm sure I could find someone to go with :-)

Reactions: Michael

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

My schedule is pretty full until December. There are a few other OB members that have been interested in getting some training in. Finding a venue can be tricky because of the cost of insurance. I'm doing some research to find areas that don't require $$$ for a day.

If you have any questions in the mean time, feel free to reach out here or through my website:)

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

Obviously I don't know your area, but around here there are multiple 4X4 clubs with minimal or no membership fee. Of those I have been involved with, they are normally accepting of all levels of experience, and with group runs, even if you manage to fall in a ditch, you have a group of ready people to assist in unsticking you.

Reactions: John Worley

John Worley

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Livermore, CA
Member #

My schedule is pretty full until December. There are a few other OB members that have been interested in getting some training in. Finding a venue can be tricky because of the cost of insurance. I'm doing some research to find areas that don't require $$$ for a day.

If you have any questions in the mean time, feel free to reach out here or through my website:)
Well I discovered I have a perfect local venue: Carnegie SVRA! I knew it was a great place for dirt biking but they also have a nice 4x4 obstacle course. I nearly busted my bumper when I rolled back off a boulder but overall it was a hellofa lot of fun! Fantastic place for training.

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
Great mentality John, far too many go and buy a vehicle, bolt a load of stuff to it and end up denting their vehicle, wallets and pride.

My suggestion is to find a club and tag along, A bit different but here in the UK I paid £10 for a years membership to a club and spent a couple of weekends a month for a year tagging along with everything I could. In the first few months there was plenty of stuff I didn't feel I could tackle so I waited until I'd built up the confidence and a year or so later I had the experience to go for it and do so safely.

Hope you find a good group to go with and enjoy getting out there!

Reactions: John Worley