Should I attempt an overland Murano?

• Total voters

Overland Wanderlust

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

RURAL HALL, NC
Member #

I am searching for an overland vehicle currently (Looking at a lot of older Cherokees etc) but have a Nissan Murano that is bone stock. I have heard the horror stories about flex because it's a unibody without some kind of frame thing underneath it. I also know no one makes lift kits for it. I have seen a couple of rare occasion pictures (Usually from Russia) with Muranos that have front bumpers, racks, lights galore, and have been lifted somehow. I am also not naive to costs associated with taking on or even starting a project like this. Does anyone think this is worth the trouble to take on or would it be a total waste of time the first time I took it down a mild trail?

Thanks for your input. I look forward to hearing what your advice is.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I am searching for an overland vehicle currently (Looking at a lot of older Cherokees etc) but have a Nissan Murano that is bone stock. I have heard the horror stories about flex because it's a unibody without some kind of frame thing underneath it. I also know no one makes lift kits for it. I have seen a couple of rare occasion pictures (Usually from Russia) with Muranos that have front bumpers, racks, lights galore, and have been lifted somehow. I am also not naive to costs associated with taking on or even starting a project like this. Does anyone think this is worth the trouble to take on or would it be a total waste of time the first time I took it down a mild trail?

Thanks for your input. I look forward to hearing what your advice is.
Any vehicle that has basic trail issues will possibly become your issue and usually somewhere along way from home. Also something that doesn't have aftermarket support means that everything is custom and or experimental =$$$$. I would save myself the time, effort, cost and headaches going with something you like that has positive check Marks in all the above categories. Just my opinion here....

Reactions: Overland Wanderlust

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Find a rust free Cherokee, make it how you like, and you'll be money ahead.

Let me edit my response,
I really like the Murano, great SUV but............not a real off road vehicle and absolutely no support. For what it would cost to make it overland fun would be more expensive than buying a nicely outfitted Jeep, especially a Cherokee. The Cherokee is ready right out of the gate and you can build it to your preference over time, once again being cost effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Overland Wanderlust