Launch Member

Member I

Corona, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Albrecht
Member #

Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question... FAQ said OK to ask them :)

In So Cal we like to take a lot of forest roads in many surrounding mountains. There are lots of beautiful places to stop at. Are you allowed to park and setup camp anywhere? Or does it have to be designated spots? I assume camp fires can only be at camp grounds with designated fire pits, but if you aren't doing that, can you just pop your tent and stay the night in the forest?

Thanks

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Check out the Bureau of Land Management website for rules on BLM lands. Make sure you know where you are, etc. State parks and federal parks websites also have camping and land use information.

Reactions: Billiebob

NonStop

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question... FAQ said OK to ask them :)

In So Cal we like to take a lot of forest roads in many surrounding mountains. There are lots of beautiful places to stop at. Are you allowed to park and setup camp anywhere? Or does it have to be designated spots? I assume camp fires can only be at camp grounds with designated fire pits, but if you aren't doing that, can you just pop your tent and stay the night in the forest?

Thanks
Correct, fires are not allowed. Even at so.e camp grounds. Please check with your local ranger station. Have fun out there.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

And be sure to find out if you are on public or private land.
Often the local Chamber of Commerce or Tourist Information Booth can help you with "where to camp".
If you are travelling, be sure to stop in, ask questions, learn about the area and the locals.

I think campfires, like smoking cigarettes or drinking & driving are becoming an unwelcome thing in the forests.
Times are changing.

Reactions: CTO1Mike

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
There are no dumb questions around here!
For dispersed camping, which is what your asking, here is a little article that has some good info and ideas: Camp for Free on Public Land: 'Dispersed Camping' 101 | GearJunkie
I would always call a ranger in the forest area your going to camp in, in Arizona and most places, fires have seasons, hot and dry, no way, other times, ok in established fire ring (aka rocks), windy out, no way, so things change, best ot be smart and gather all the intel you can.

Jim

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

For dispersed camping, which is what your asking, here is a little article that has some good info and ideas: Camp for Free on Public Land: 'Dispersed Camping' 101 | GearJunkie
I would always call a ranger in the forest area your going to camp in, in Arizona and most places, fires have seasons, hot and dry, no way, other times, ok in established fire ring (aka rocks), windy out, no way, so things change, best ot be smart and gather all the intel you can.

Jim
Jim,
That is a nice read on Dispersed Camping 101. I hope you make this a sticky, and have all new Members see this! Vance.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Here in the national forest and blm land I go to in AZ, the general rule is if it looks like others have camped there, there is a fire ring (metal or stone), you are parking on dirt or rock (can’t park on grass), and within 300’ from the road you should be good. Not alway but a good rule of thumb.

Another thing to know is if you see a trail or road no matter how much uses it looks like it gets, if there is not a road number sign it is probably an illegal road or trail. You can get hit with a $250 fine for being on it.

Todd

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
This is key.

The ranger or BLM official can also tell you if a road has been closed for some reason. For example, I recently went camping in the Kaibab NF near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We stopped at the Visitor Center and found out that the road I wanted to take to one of my favorite spots had been closed because a windstorm had downed several trees and they had not yet been cleared. I would have spent three extra hours turning around and finding a new spot and would have had to set up camp in the dark. Instead, I chose a second option and camp and dinner were ready before the Sun set.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Forest Service has yellow post campsites, Email or stop and ask for info at the ranger station, San Bernardino and Angeles forest have a bunch of rules. Open fires are gone until next winter. BLM has their rules also. Ask and get it in Email, print it and take it with you. Not everybody is on the same page.
Go to Baja the beaches are perfect and nobody's is there. 3 hours and you'll be all by yourself.

PW-JDA-2018

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Corona, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Albrecht
Member #

Jim
Thank you I'll check it out.