Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I travel solo (no other rigs) all the time, a shovel, and a air compressor are more useful in the west, than a wench. Also pickup a jump starter and a set of tools is nice when you need them.
I dunno, I like a wench.

• Haha
Reactions: Billiebob

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Oops, a wench is always welcome! A winch is less so. Now if I can get her the shovel.
I wouldn't say a winch is a replacement for a shovel, they have different purposes and I'd say both are things I'd want for solo adventuring. But a winch I'd consider something that he would "add to his truck" like he asked about, a shovel is just a piece of gear... I wouldn't consider it an addition to his truck any more than I would say a sleeping bag is.

-TJ

Reactions: MMc

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I’m going to post “comfort” items, since you say you may not know.

I bought a Bauer (harbor freight) Shop Fan - it runs off a cordless drill battery. Can help with condensation in the camper top.

I also have a couple USB Power Banks - 9000 mAh, and 30000mAh - these and some cheap LED strip lights last a long time.

Solar Generator for me (Ecoflow River 600) powers a CPAP.

You have a nice looking rig, what would make you more comfortable?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I wouldn't say a winch is a replacement for a shovel, they have different purposes and I'd say both are things I'd want for solo adventuring. But a winch I'd consider something that he would "add to his truck" like he asked about, a shovel is just a piece of gear... I wouldn't consider it an addition to his truck any more than I would say a sleeping bag is.

-TJ

I have winches on many of my trucks, they are used mostly for others and projects. I am in the west, you need to carry a deadman to pull off of, because of a lack of trees. What to add is a product of where you are and what you do.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I travel solo (no other rigs) all the time, a shovel, and a air compressor are more useful in the west, than a wench. Also pickup a jump starter and a set of tools is nice when you need them.
I find a wench extremely useful while traveling. My winch is useful every once in a while too.

Reactions: Mrcodes

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

Agree with all suggestions, just go somewhere close and easy to get to to start and you’ll find out what you need.

My $.02, airing down tires makes the ride much more comfortable so a deflator kit & air compressor are a must for me. Never hurts to, at minimum, have maxtraxx for recovery if you’re going solo. Radio communication of some sort is also a must.

Your want list will grow exponentially but start small with enough to get you out of a jam and go from there. Unless you want to spend all your $ now with a full on overland build lol. Nothing wrong with that.

Just make sure to mount everything on the outside of your rig so everyone knows you’re a real overlander. Jk

Good luck!

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I've been a camper for a number of years, but since getting my new truck, I've been more interested in Overlanding type experiences. I don't think I will give up my RV, but I can see myself sneaking away for a weekend recharge with just myself and my dog.

I have a 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 RST with the Max Trailering Pkg and have it pretty stock except for the Duratrac tires and Unicover.
I keep a large kennel in the back for my German Shepherd and did manage to find a way to install 4 - 1 Gal Rotopax on the inside of the bed.

If you were going on a weekender with my truck, what would you want to have and why?
This is great question;
I travel with 3 pups - Thanks for the Keys by the way.
Where do I start:

Location - Iowa

Hey Toto we aren't in Sunny CA - it's - 1 and it's time to go camping:

Well here's my check list (my winter camping prep and gear)
With your camping experience I don't need to give you the check list of (Water, Food....) with that said I always plan for the worst case scenario so I make sure I load up on Water, Food, Fuel)
Now I like to carry GPS trackers for my rigs and pups which my family has access to (TKStar and Tractive)
With the freezing temps I have dog boots, and jackets
First aid kits for my self and an extra K9 first aid kit
Power supplies - I use the Jackery 1000, and for a backup I use a Yahama 2300i
(Note to self - if you pick up one of the popular power supplies like the Jackery - pay close attention to the recommended operating temp of 0 - 40c, which is why I bring the Gas back up)
For Heat - I use a Mr. Buddy Heater, and if I break out the Hot Tent - I have a KniCo Packer Stove
For the Mr Buddy Heater I Bring a 20 gallon propane tank that I also use for cooking if I don't use the camping stove and fire pit.
If you plan on starting a camp fire, do you have a portable fire pit, axe, saw, or you can bring with you some pre-cut wood and a fire starter.
I always have a bug out bag, extra clothing, heating blankets for me and my dogs
Recovery Gear and recovery points are top on my list for rig mods and supplies (I also bring a floor jack for easy access if I need to change a tire)
There are a ton of options on the market, and I'm sure you know what fits your needs.
I just picked up an integrated winch mount and 12k winch, traction boards, an extra spare, and tire repair kit)
Comms - I have a back up to the back up in my rig.
Al right then, its almost 4am - I hope you don't mind but I'm skipping all of the above, and I'm taking your truck to FL - Key West and I'll be camping out with my pups on the beach.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Highlift jack, with a wheel grabber, and a winching kit.
Two 2x4's or 4x4 pieces of wood the length of your bed.
Truck Claws.
Ak47.
Shovel.
Axe or chainsaw.

Getting stuck in the boonies, mud or snow with street tires, sucks.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
This what I recommend to friends, larger off-road tires, usually 2 sizes larger than stock so you don't need a lift or re gearing, heavy duty skid plate, rock sliders, shovel, tow strap. In your case you might want to put a clear wrap on the sides of the truck to protect the paint.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I agree with getting larger tires. Even though you’re only really gonna gain an inch at the diff. Rock sliders are something I won’t tell anyone to get until they know what they are going to use their truck for. I’m willing to bet over half the trucks you look at with sliders on them have never been scraped or dinged. I’ve ran cheap nerf bars for 15 years on my truck and never hit one. But I am not a rock crawler. Not much use for sliders on logging roads or desert 2 tracks. A lot of weight and cost that may not be needed. Just my opinion.