Rank I

Traveler I

Sioux Rapids, Iowa 50585, United States
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Green
Member #

I've been a camper for a number of years, but since getting my new truck, I've been more interested in Overlanding type experiences. I don't think I will give up my RV, but I can see myself sneaking away for a weekend recharge with just myself and my dog.

I have a 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 RST with the Max Trailering Pkg and have it pretty stock except for the Duratrac tires and Unicover.
I keep a large kennel in the back for my German Shepherd and did manage to find a way to install 4 - 1 Gal Rotopax on the inside of the bed.

If you were going on a weekender with my truck, what would you want to have and why?

Attachments

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I would go with a great hammock sleep system. The rest of the stuff you can pack in the truck and sounds like if you camp and RV you probably have a lot of the kitchen, coolers, etc etc gear to make a weekend of it.

Reactions: Taeman1980

jwalla

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Dakotas

Advocate I

Rapid City, SD, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Walla
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I would go with a great hammock sleep system. The rest of the stuff you can pack in the truck and sounds like if you camp and RV you probably have a lot of the kitchen, coolers, etc etc gear to make a weekend of it.
I never thought about a hammock... Are those comfortable.
I recently started hammock camping and would highly suggest youtubing cottage hammock vendors and a suggestion of a youtube channel named shugemery. I have found a system that is extremely comfortable and have been using it now for the last few months. I have been down to 8 degs and slept awesome. They pack up small are easy to use and with some enginuity can be used literally anywhere. Don't rush out and buy an off the shelf hammock until doing some research. Trust me I am on my 4th round but have learned a ton. I suspect I will spend around 200 nights in it over the next 12 months.

Reactions: Taeman1980

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I you wanna be a. REEEEEEAAAL overlander, then you gotta....

just pack what you have now and get out. It won’t take long before you realize what you need and what you can leave at home.
^^^^ This

I'm sure you can survive a weekend, and during that time see how everything works vs what you wished you had on hand.

Camping alone I usually have a tarp partly over the truck bed/ camper top, and stretching away from the back of the truck and out to the sides a bit. I wanted to keep the hatch area extra dry, and I use the tailgate as a table
My lady, on the other hand, insists that the tarp be over the campsite picnic table, if there is one.

That means I have added another tarp to the box of goodies that goes in the truck.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Looks like you've already got rails on top of your shell. Some sort of a rack up there would expand your storage since you'll have the kennel in the back.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Ether you love or hate hammocks, only way to find out is to try. I would just go with a simple setup and figure it out from there. When I am driving everyday I use a different setup than when I am posting up for a week or two. YMMV

Superslidestyle

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rialto, California, United States
First Name
IRWIN
Last Name
JIMENEZ
Member #

Traction can get tricky at times, depending on climate & weather. Airing down tirea greatly aids in traction no matter what tires you have. But once you're back to the highway or freeway? How will you air up those tires? You need a portable 12v heavy duty air compressor for that. *Note the "heavy duty" tag. You'll want one that ONLY has battery clips because the one's that plug into the cigarrette lighter are light duty. Try Pep Boys, Amazon or Ebay, look for the Tsunami MF-1050 portable compressor. This is the most popular entry-level compressor you can get for $70.

Attachments

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Looks like a nice full size pickup truck. It sounds like it's just you and your dog, so grab a cooler, Coleman stove, skillet, plate, knife and fork, something to sleep in/on, dog food and toys, lots of water and go for a weekend.

Make a few notes of what you want to add for the next trip and go from there

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Lots of good advice, the best advice, get out there and list ideas as they come to mind.
Overlanding can be real simple,

A warm, dry spot to sleep.
A way to keep food cold and fresh.
A way to cook food.

A plan.
A few maps?
A way to stay safe,

A plan filed with freinds,
A recovery plan, AAA?,
A way to communicate, CellPhone? HamRadio?

Some satlilite beacon system if you go remote.

Lastly, a way to manage yer shit.... and yer dogs shit.
Tread Lightly, Pack out more than you pack in.

Reactions: Sparksalot

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

A fridge and the camping gear you have. Maybe a nice thick sleeping mat.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

You dont need anything the truck will take down any fire road just fine. Load up and go! Now like others said the want list never ends, just like my silverado it does fine with minimal mods

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

If you're planning to go truly solo, like no other rigs, then the only thing I'd suggest is a winch for self-recovery. Otherwise you should be good to get started. Like you, I also have a RV and won't be stopping those trips, but look to Overlanding for my simple, short trips.

-TJ

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I travel solo (no other rigs) all the time, a shovel, and a air compressor are more useful in the west, than a wench. Also pickup a jump starter and a set of tools is nice when you need them.

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto