12310 S Shannan Ct, Olathe, KS, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Green
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9UAN
I am brand new to overlanding and will be taking my son on a road trip for his 16th birthday. On the way back to Kansas City we will be going through Colorado. We will be whitewater rafting the Royal Gorge on June 28th and then I want to take June 29th and 30th to take the "long way" to the Denver area. I have no idea what I'm doing and getting short on time for planning. What are some great resources for me to look at. I've just joined the Overland Bound community so just learning the site and forums. I'd love to take as many non technical routes as I can in those two days. The Alpine Loop looks appealing but I'm not sure what the conditions would be like. I grew up in Illinois and have lived in Kansas for over 20 years now. To say I'm clueless about the mountains is an understatement.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I am brand new to overlanding and will be taking my son on a road trip for his 16th birthday. On the way back to Kansas City we will be going through Colorado. We will be whitewater rafting the Royal Gorge on June 28th and then I want to take June 29th and 30th to take the "long way" to the Denver area. I have no idea what I'm doing and getting short on time for planning. What are some great resources for me to look at. I've just joined the Overland Bound community so just learning the site and forums. I'd love to take as many non technical routes as I can in those two days. The Alpine Loop looks appealing but I'm not sure what the conditions would be like. I grew up in Illinois and have lived in Kansas for over 20 years now. To say I'm clueless about the mountains is an understatement.
Hi David! Welcome to the neighborhood.

In case you haven't heard, this winter has been exceptional in regards to snowfall. Expect most 4WD roads to be delayed in their openings. I won't be surprised if the Alpine Loop isn't open by then. We'll just have to wait and see.

I will share some resources in following posts as I round them up. I'm sure others will do the same.

In case your plans fall through, please consider this gathering we're having in Buena Vista at the same time as an alternative: Colorado Front Range Camp out Meetup
(Be aware that this Rally Point entry has issues that we haven't been able to fix. I hope to create a replacement today time permitting.)

Also, going back to Silverton/Ouray would be way out of your way traveling from Royal Gorge to Denver. You're looking at 8 hrs or more from Gorge to Lake City to Denver.

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign