2WD_Pickup

Rank I

Contributor III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Alvin
Last Name
Lang
Hi, just joined and was interested in reaching out to the community on tips and advice...

I realize I am punching out of my weight class here with a 4x2 pickup truck, and it is even the 8 ft bed so it isn't the best for off-roading per say, however I wanted to mainly introduce myself for the following reasons.

1.) Still have yet to build out my rig, but have some ideas and would be good to bounce off of folks here who have similar experiences.
2.) Open to any road/trail suggestions that a 4x2 can handle in NJ that would be good for me to get my feet wet on - I am a complete beginner but want to get the most fun and adventure with my 4x2 set-up without getting stuck!
Fully understand that wet/dry conditions severely will impact my traction, and that I should try to get a winch/traction boards if possible.

Currently the plan is to find a high-rise 8 ft truck cap, and a 8 ft slide-out bed, so I can build a "bedroom" truck camper on the cheap versus buying a slide-in truck camper such as a Lance camper.
Until then the plan is to do tent-camping this spring and get my feet wet with some real experience driving on some handle-able trails/roads. Located in Northern NJ!

Nice meeting everyone IMG_4088.jpgIMG_4089.jpg4x2

Reactions: Sparksalot

Enthusiast I

Bloomfield, NJ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McCarthy
Hi there, welcome to the board and hello from a fellow North NJ 'overlander' :)
That's a clean looking truck you have an the 8ft bed will be great for a 'truck camper'. I considered going for a topper and building one out, but decided against it as truck mostly used for transporting our kayaks and bikes. There are some places around the Pine Barrens you can likely explore without getting stuck. Do you have front recovery hooks and a tow hitch? If so then get something like this 2 so you can be pulled out.....I was pulled out first time I went off road in the Pine Barrens.

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

There are many dirt roads to explore in NY and NJ. BDR and Trans NJ trail. I can not speak of the NJ trail as I haven't been on it, but the BDR is fairly tame (mostly dirt roads) with a couple sections that have some loose rocks. There are sections on the forum for both of these routes.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

You can reach out to me on here or if you have FB join the new jersey overland FB group. Plenty of people on there willing to take you out, including myself. Remember, overlanding doesn't have to be off road. Most of us like to plan trails or destinations that will require 4x4 but there's a TON of places that don't. With an 8' bed you can make a damn comfy sleeping and cooking platform. It depends on your budget, how long you plan to stay out, etc, etc etc..