New to the group. What’s good in Florida?

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Florida
Hey everybody. New to the group and wondering if there is anything good in Florida. I’ve been to Ocala, Big Cypress, Richloam. Am I missing anything elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
I've not done a whole lot of exploring of Florida... Usually I drive out of the state. But so far Ocala National Forest is my favorite.

There a place called Hardrock in Northern FL which many of our members have been to, but I've never been: http://www.hardrockmx.com
Another place I've never been: https://www.revolutionoffroad.com

Reactions: Nickzero and Grunt

florida_trailhawk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando, FL
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Panza
Member #

Orlando, here, and also brand new to OB. I've been in Florida my whole life and while it's a bit thin on informal camping, etc. there's a lot to explore here.

Ocala NF is huge, as I'm sure you know, and since it's not hunting season you can explore it all and camp almost anywhere. There are some caves and caverns, and I'm a big fan of all the springs and rivers. The campgrounds aren't the best, often time crowded but the hikes and kayaking and swimming are worth it, if you're into those kind of things. Rainbow springs and river, Wekiva, and Weeki Wachee are some of my favorites.

If you're just looking for forest roads and trails, also check out the Citrus tract of Withlacoochee, and check the florida state forest website where you get maps of all the WMAs and their roads. Tons to check out.

Mega4x4

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Milton, GA
Member #

Debary/Sanford here - I need to explore more of FL as well. Been here for the last 5 years, last 25+ in California (rock crawling, desert, sierra nevada type trips). Before California, did tons of camping in WV and eastern seaboard.

Reactions: Nickzero

Grunt

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Gulf Breeze, FL
Member #

I'm new to OB as well. I recently moved to the Northwest area (Pensacola) from Virginia and I'm excited to see what this area has to offer. I'm planning on making a trip out to Ocala in the near future for some exploration and camping.

Eglin AFB, near Niceville, has some good trails and remote camping (250,000 acres!). There's a $20 fee for the year, though and restrictions on where you are allowed to explore that changes daily. You can check them out online for details. If anyone plans on heading out there, hit me up and I'll be glad to join/ show you around.

craigR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mt Dora, FL
Member #

We're in Mt Dora, and spend quite a bit of time in Ocala NF. In fact, we just got back from a trip this morning. We (wife and kids) frequently go with our friends (his wife and kids) with their 4Runner (they actually have two 4R's haha).

If anyone ever heads up this way or wants to put a run together, give me a shout. We'd be happy to join or lead the way for anyone not familiar with ONF. For anyone driving in ONF, I recommend the free app "Avenza Maps" on iOS devices, not sure if they have it for Android. You can then download "Motor Vehicle Use Map Ocala National Forest" and easily navigate the legal trails. Works like any other map/navigation app.

From one of our previous trips...

No outside pics from today, but here is our route from Avenza Maps. We logged 25.19 miles in 2 hours and 10 minutes. About two miles of that is on pavement, the rest was spent on trails.

Last edited:

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
We're in Mt Dora, and spend quite a bit of time in Ocala NF. In fact, we just got back from a trip this morning. We (wife and kids) frequently go with our friends (his wife and kids) with their 4Runner (they actually have two 4R's haha).

If anyone ever heads up this way or wants to put a run together, give me a shout. We'd be happy to join or lead the way for anyone not familiar with ONF. For anyone driving in ONF, I recommend the free app "Avenza Maps" on iOS devices, not sure if they have it for Android. You can then download "Motor Vehicle Use Map Ocala National Forest" and easily navigate ...
I'd like to plan a clean up in ONF, but I haven't really got the time right now because I'm heading out on the TransAmerica Trail in 5.5 weeks! But let's stat a plan on it!

@WitchDoctor0211 @grantwilson

Reactions: Nickzero and craigR

florida_trailhawk

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Orlando, FL
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Panza
Member #

I did a cleanup with FWC on earth day out in Ocala. They have maps on avenza with points for all the large dump sites they've found, so we could contact them and get updated maps. I'm down for another cleanup day.

Reactions: craigR

craigR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mt Dora, FL
Member #

I'd like to plan a clean up in ONF, but I haven't really got the time right now because I'm heading out on the TransAmerica Trail in 5.5 weeks! But let's stat a plan on it!

@WitchDoctor0211 @grantwilson
Sounds good. There is a continual flow of trash in, leaving no shortage of opportunities to pack it out. We're down anytime, Danan. Enjoy the TransAmerica!

Reactions: AdventureWithDanan

grantwilson

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. augustine, Fl
Member #

If they plan on opening back up numbered roads ill do something for them. Until then, they can do it themselves
Ill pack out stuff i find when i camp, but thats about all im doing for those guys.

Canopr360

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Florida
Member #

New to OB here rookie !!! Here north FL Osceola Park, Cary State Forest, Jennings State Forest!!!

Ross

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Augusta, SC
Member #

Thinking of driving over from St. Augustine Wednesday.. Can anyone make some suggestions, and such.. Also, how far from St. Augustine? Looks about an hour or so.. Thanks..

Canopr360

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Florida
Member #

If you going to be in St.Agustine you are 30 min away from Ocala National Forest. Is one of the best Parks that FL offers for Overlanding.