New to the forum, but not to the outdoors!

• HTML tutorial

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Hi all, after lurking this forum for a long while, I finally joined up. I am new to this forum, but not to the world of overlanding. I have been getting out and into the outdoors for more than 20 years, long before I have ever heard of the phrase "overland". I started as a teenager in an old Isuzu Rodeo, my trusty 03 sport trac (featured in Jan 2014 issue of OFF-ROAD MAGAZINE), and my wife's Jeep JK. We spend our time outdoors exploring the great State of California. From where we live in the Bay Area, we are lucky enough to drive in any direction for 3 hours or less and find beaches, forests, wetlands, Lakes, Rivers, the Sierra mountains, the Redwood forests, Yosemite, the Desert, you name it. We spend most of our time off road exploring the Sierra mountains and up North toward the Oregon border.

I guess we do more than overlanding since we do a lot of camping that involves never having to go off-road, we also tug our little boat around and do all kinds of fishing, from lakes and rivers to the big blue Pacific Ocean, our vehicles need to be able to be good on the road, off it, towing, hauling and trips to the lumber yard and hauling around our family and friends. My latest aquisition is a brand spankin' new 2020 Ford F-150 4X4 super crew cab with a 5.0 L Coyote engine (3.55 gearing). I am currently in the process of building it up for overlanding and doing all of the other things we need it to do. I'm not really into elaborate lifts and giant tires, I find that 33" tires have never failed me in my travels and they are much easier to find in a pinch than 35's or bigger. No need for a re-gear either. It is more about finding a way to safely get my family, friends, dogs and gear out to wherever it is we want to go. My wife and are planning our first multi-day trip to Death Valley as an anniversary vacation adventure. I hope to gain lots of good bits of knowledge on this forum and I hope to be able to contribute some knowledge that I have picked up along the way as well. I left a few pics of a couple of my vehicles.

2020 Ford F-150 Super Crew 4X4, 5.0 L Coyote engine, 2" level with Goodyear 33" X 10.8" Duratracs. Waiting on a bestop camper, still looking for a roof basket

2003 Ford Sport trac 4.0 L V6, 3" lift with 33"x12.50" Goodyear Duratracs, Aussie rear diff locker, Pro Comp Aux lights, Thule bars and basket, CB, KN77 intake, magnaflow exhaust system, Leer hard camper shell

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Welcome to OB, Ken!

Thanks for the detailed introduction and sharing all the great photos! Looks like the dogs are enjoying overlanding also!

That sounds like you've already seen a lot. I'm looking forward to some overlanding stories from you! Getting out and into the outdoors for more than 20 years, long before ever heard of the phrase "overland", that sounds very familiar to me. I also started years ago, traveled and camped already a lot with my parents as a child and as a teenager a motorized two-wheeler was available and then the tours became longer, so it began :smile:

Enjoy!

Cheers, Bjoern

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Hi all, after lurking this forum for a long while, I finally joined up. I am new to this forum, but not to the world of overlanding. I have been getting out and into the outdoors for more than 20 years, long before I have ever heard of the phrase "overland". I started as a teenager in an old Isuzu Rodeo, my trusty 03 sport trac (featured in Jan 2014 issue of OFF-ROAD MAGAZINE), and my wife's Jeep JK. We spend our time outdoors exploring the great State of California. From where we live in the Bay Area, we are lucky enough to drive in any direction for 3 hours or less and find beaches, forests, wetlands, Lakes, Rivers, the Sierra mountains, the Redwood forests, Yosemite, the Desert, you name it. We spend most of our time off road exploring the Sierra mountains and up North toward the Oregon border.

I guess we do more than overlanding since we do a lot of camping that involves never having to go off-road, we also tug our little boat around and do all kinds of fishing, from lakes and rivers to the big blue Pacific Ocean, our vehicles need to be able to be good on the road, off it, towing, hauling and trips to the lumber yard and hauling around our family and friends. My latest aquisition is a brand spankin' new 2020 Ford F-150 4X4 super crew cab with a 5.0 L Coyote engine (3.55 gearing). I am currently in the process of building it up for overlanding and doing all of the other things we need it to do. I'm not really into elaborate lifts and giant tires, I find that 33" tires have never failed me in my travels and they are much easier to find in a pinch than 35's or bigger. No need for a re-gear either. It is more about finding a way to safely get my family, friends, dogs and gear out to wherever it is we want to go. My wife and are planning our first multi-day trip to Death Valley as an anniversary vacation adventure. I hope to gain lots of good bits of knowledge on this forum and I hope to be able to contribute some knowledge that I have picked up along the way as well. I left a few pics of a couple of my vehicles.

2020 Ford F-150 Super Crew 4X4, 5.0 L Coyote engine, 2" level with Goodyear 33" X 10.8" Duratracs. Waiting on a bestop camper, still looking for a roof basket

2003 Ford Sport trac 4.0 L V6, 3" lift with 33"x12.50" Goodyear Duratracs, Aussie rear diff locker, Pro Comp Aux lights, Thule bars and basket, CB, KN77 intake, magnaflow exhaust system, Leer hard camper shell

Welcome to Overland Bound!

Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members.

www.overlandbouforums/
https://

www.overlandbound.com/
forums/forums/overland-bohttps://und-meetups.24/
forums/overland-trip-nd.com/

If you have any questions message your Member Representative @PapaDave or me, your Regional Director, @Narbob.

Reactions: LONO100

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Welcome and glad you made it. If you can make it October 11th we have the east bay (Tri-Valley) OLB meet up in Pleasanton CA. All the info is here

Reactions: LONO100

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Welcome to OB, Ken!

Thanks for the detailed introduction and sharing all the great photos! Looks like the dogs are enjoying overlanding also!

That sounds like you've already seen a lot. I'm looking forward to some overlanding stories from you! Getting out and into the outdoors for more than 20 years, long before ever heard of the phrase "overland", that sounds very familiar to me. I also started years ago, traveled and camped already a lot with my parents as a child and as a teenager a motorized two-wheeler was available and then the tours became longer, so it began :smile:

Enjoy!

Cheers, Bjoern
As long as I have been exploring the outdoors, I have only recently been documenting my travels with a gopro. I've been exploring California in everything from trucks, to subarus to a ford focus that I would pack with stuff to go hang out on the beach for a weekend. I hope to create some good posts on this forum and share some of the great places from my neck of the woods.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Welcome and glad you made it. If you can make it October 11th we have the east bay (Tri-Valley) OLB meet up in Pleasanton CA. All the info is here

That's awesome. That's the weekend of my son's B-day, but if I get some free time that day, I will definitely make the drive and check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome to Overland Bound
You might want to narrow down your location a bit to help other members who might have advise for a specific meet-up.
Don't hesitate to message your Regional Director @Narbob if you have any questions. For local information about trips and meet-ups contact your NorCal Member Representative; Bay Area @PapaDave
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course