New to photography

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

ExploRanger

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pismo Beach, California
Member #

Hey everyone, so I’m new to photography and looking for some input or critiques. And hopefully some advice. What do you think? IMG_3219.JPG I took this photo with my drone. I was trying to get a decent action shot. When I edited I was trying to bring out the most detail I could. Snapseed.jpg I took this photo a few months ago while camping and exploring at Pinnacles National Park, I was trying to bring out the reflection in the water but also trying to keep it looking natural. Snapseed.jpg this is a sweet old abandoned car on a fire access road I drive pretty often in Arroyo Grande Ca. I was really trying to bring out the detail in the environment and the car. I’m real new to editing photos so I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Boort

Rank VI

Advocate II

Colorado
Member #

@ExploRanger
Hey everyone, so I’m new to photography and looking for some input or critiques. And hopefully some advice. What do you think? ...
I was really trying to bring out the detail in the environment and the car. I’m real new to editing photos so I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!
Hello, I'm no professional photographer but I'll offer my thoughts.

I like the Drone shot. Caught the entry splash that I think you were looking for to show action. Good setting with the road drawing your eye to the front of the truck and the stream crossing to help keep it there. Front Drivers corner is sitting nicely on the bottom 1/3 of the frame. My suggestions: Get rid of that distracting branch at the top of the frame. I might bring the exposure of the sky and border trees down between a half and a fullstop in post to blue up the sky and further drive the eye to the center and the truck. Might lighten the splash a bit to help is stand out from the white truck.
Something like this:

ExploRander-Drone.png

On the other 2 pics I like the composition of the lake reflection but I think you pushed the detail a bit too far. If you look in the lake and in the darker sky you'll see some noise pushing through the detail. Save the details for the subject, the leaning tree and it's reflection in this case I think. Tone down the details elsewhere to help bring focus to the tree.

Similar advice on the old car shot. I find my eye exploring the stream on the left rather than visiting the patina and bullet holes of the old car. Maybe darken and reduce details in the stream area and use the tree trunks to help pull the eye to the car since they both point at it.

For what ever it's worth that's my 2 cents. We do have some pros here who may offer additional advice.

Boort

HIGH Maintenance

Rank II

Traveler II

Honolulu, Hawaii
Member #

Hey everyone, so I’m new to photography and looking for some input or critiques. And hopefully some advice. What do you think? View attachment 59521 I took this photo with my drone. I was trying to get a decent action shot. When I edited I was trying to bring out the most detail I could. View attachment 59522 I took this photo a few months ago while camping and exploring at Pinnacles National Park, I was trying to bring out the reflection in the water but also trying to keep it looking natural. View attachment 59523 this is a sweet old abandoned car on a fire access road I drive pretty often in Arroyo Grande Ca. I was really trying to bring out the detail in the environment and the car. I’m real new to editing photos so I appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance!

ExploRanger,

Not a bad start If one was to give any feed back for a newcomer I would start with basic photo composition rules the most important, in my opinion, would be the rule of thirds.

If you compare the photo composition of the rusty car to the still photo of the truck from the drone one can immediately notice the difference. I am no expert photography, this but just have learned from hands on experience what a difference this one rule has made for me.

Best of luck to you in your new endeavors!

The Rule of thirds:

Reactions: Hazelwoodjr

ExploRanger

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pismo Beach, California
Member #

@ExploRanger

Hello, I'm no professional photographer but I'll offer my thoughts.

I like the Drone shot. Caught the entry splash that I think you were looking for to show action. Good setting with the road drawing your eye to the front of the truck and the stream crossing to help keep it there. Front Drivers corner is sitting nicely on the bottom 1/3 of the frame. My suggestions: Get rid of that distracting branch at the top of the frame. I might bring the exposure of the sky and border trees down between a half and a fullstop in post to blue up the sky and further drive the eye to the center and the truck. Might lighten the splash a bit to help is stand out from the white truck.
Something like this:

View attachment 59555

On the other 2 pics I like the composition of the lake reflection but I think you pushed the detail a bit too far. If you look in the lake and in the darker sky you'll see some noise pushing through the detail. Save the details for the subject, the leaning tree and it's reflection in this case I think. Tone down the details elsewhere to help bring focus to the tree.

Similar advice on the old car shot. I find my eye exploring the stream on the left rather than visiting the patina and bullet holes of the old car. Maybe darken and reduce details in the stream area and use the tree trunks to help pull the eye to the car since they both point at it.

For what ever it's worth that's my 2 cents. We do have some pros here who may offer additional advice.

Boort
Boort,

Thank you for your input, with the drone shot I was so focused on the truck I never really noticed the branch in the top. Your right it’s super distracting. I’m going to start picking one item to try and bring the detail out of instead of trying to bring out all the detail. Thank you again for your advice!

ExploRanger

Rank 0

Traveler I

Pismo Beach, California
Member #

ExploRanger,

Not a bad start If one was to give any feed back for a newcomer I would start with basic photo composition rules the most important, in my opinion, would be the rule of thirds.

If you compare the photo composition of the rusty car to the still photo of the truck from the drone one can immediately notice the difference. I am no expert photography, this but just have learned from hands on experience what a difference this one rule has made for me.

The Rule of thirds:

HIGH maintenance,

Thank you for the link, I’ve watched it a couple times now. I didn’t know about the rule of thirds.

Boort

Rank VI

Advocate II

Colorado
Member #

@ExploRanger
Boort,
Thank you for your input, with the drone shot I was so focused on the truck I never really noticed the branch in the top. Your right it’s super distracting. I’m going to start picking one item to try and bring the detail out of instead of trying to bring out all the detail. Thank you again for your advice!
Your Welcome. What editor are you using to post process your photos?

Boort

Boort

Rank VI

Advocate II

Colorado
Member #

@ExploRanger
Currently I’m using an app called Snapseed
Cool I use that when I'm on the go and carrying a phone or tablet. It's great for quick edits. Then I'll usually do final versions in Lightroom/Photoshop when I get back home. Before that I've used GIMP and PhotoPaint, and others.

Boort

Hazelwoodjr

Rank I

Member I

Quarryville Pennsylvania
Member #

ExploRanger,

The Rule of thirds:

Needed this also. Thank you

HIGH Maintenance

Rank II

Traveler II

Honolulu, Hawaii
Member #

Needed this also. Thank you

Usually I keep the grid feature turned on in order to remind me of this "rule" but lately find myself needing it less and less.

You may find the grid feature on the iPhone under Settings > Camera > Grid.... also if you enable Preserve settings for the camera you won't always need to turn it back on next time you open the app.

XJinBC

Rank VI

Traveler I

Southern Vancouver Island
Member #

Usually I keep the grid feature turned on in order to remind me of this "rule" but lately find myself needing it less and less.

You may find the grid feature on the iPhone under Settings > Camera > Grid.... also if you enable Preserve settings for the camera you won't always need to turn it back on next time you open the app.
I use the grid in my SLR it helps keep the ocean from going up hill. Even after all these years it is handy to have the reference.