• HTML tutorial

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Fello Overlanders,

Diesel conversions have been a thing for a long time. Weather it is a cummins into a Toyota, Jeep or whatever. I think the "MUST HAVE MORE POWER" mindset is waning and the not no new eco mindset starting to take a real grip with mainstream. With that in mind.

What are your thoughts on small diesel conversions? say a 1.9L turbodiesel with some other small tweaks put into your Rig. something where your current fuel tank will get you from 300-400 mile range and into a 1000 mile range. I personally am looking into one version

Cotybuilt

And to speak for the engine going in... My DD is a 2005 Mark IV Jetta GLS TDI 5spd M/T. Not to get too deep into the engine specifics and all the hoopla of what I have done to get her to an amazing 52 mpg combined average. But that lil 1.9L is strong! Build it up with a new turbo and other small mods slap it into a rig. i have Zero doubt it'll do everything i want without the range issue while maintaining the small form factor i have come to love so much in my TJ.

Say on the low end of their "fuel economy predictions" you get 25 mpg that's still 480-ish miles with the stock 19.5 tank! Lord knows right now i am only going 250 on a tank if i am lucky, but what can you expect from a purpose built Jeep regeared to 4.56 on on 33s

-24.5 gallon extended range tank (um yes please)
-add a titan tank thing that i just learned about in lieu of jerry cans, don't mind if i do

Any thoughts or other ideas running down this trail are greatly appreciated! the trail being small diesel conversion and/or maximizing range. Sorry for the enthusiasm and for talking in circles. Personally, its a bit costly to do but it's the solution jeep the largest drawbacks is the TJ is the range. I jut hope what my thoughts made sense.

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

I think I may have put the original post in the wrong spot. Not sure if this should have gone into a gear thread. Regardless

Yea, 1.9 is real clean, not sure if it would pass cali laws but it passes WA for sure the engines I am referring to aren't the ones from the big VW emissions scandal last year.

So in lieu of being able to do a diesel conversion what would you do to maximize your range on your GMC?

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Doing a diesel swap can get pretty pricey nowadays as like California - the EPA wants to stick their nose in where it should not belong. Your vehicle can not have an engine that is older than the vehicle that it is being put into - i.e.. 2010 Jeep with a 2000 diesel engine. The engine has to be the same year or newer. Those VW diesels are great swaps for Suzukis. The typical Cummins swap will run you on average of $12k + . It's just cheaper to install a bigger fuel tank inside you vehicle.

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

So, correct me if I am wrong but I think y'all are confused. I'm not trying to be argumentative and I truly meant no offense by that.

The Cummins, powerstroke big my diesel conversions are not what I am referring to.

I'm talking the lil guy ecodeiesels

Similar to the Toyota 3.0, and the new dodge 3.0 ecodiesel but even smaller.

If the TJ can be powered by the lil 2.5 gas engine a slightly built up 1.9 turbo diesel should do fine.

Mods - would this be better suited to The Rig Q&A area?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I would check with your state to see what they say about engine swaps. Gas and Diesel conversions are viewed differently and I would check to see if you are going to be able to swap just the engine or the whole engine, def tanks and dpf exhaust system in order to pass emissions. It doesn't really matter the size of engine that you choose it's how clean it runs after the conversion.

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Cummins has the new 2.8l crate motor that is made specifically to be retrofitted into gas vehicle. It is supposed to be 50 state legal and available as a kit specific for your vehicle. I haven't seen pricing but I would expect it to be north of $20k before install. I know for a Tacoma you would also have to change the diff gearing to be in the correct RPM range.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
The gearing change is not necessarily true. The Toyota's in Australia aren't running any different gearing than the ones here in the U.S. . My Duramax had 3.73 gears with the option to run 4.10 gears. It really depends on how the vehicle is going to be used - street or off road, towing or not, fuel economy or torque.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Currently, the Dodge ecodiesel is having problems with the EPA and have been told to stop sales of the truck until it has been all cleared up.

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Currently, the Dodge ecodiesel is having problems with the EPA and have been told to stop sales of the truck until it has been all cleared up.
Yea, we can blame Vdub for that though as the dodge ecodiesel is actually a new vw plant. And the shenanigans that they pulled in '15/16
The EPA is really hanging the progress up on that.

But still larger than what I was referring to in my OP

But as I have my 1.9 tdi jetta and my jeep TJ already I think I will be going against everyone's advice -stubborn much-

All I need at this point is the bell housing adapter, upgrade the turbo, motor mounts, ECU reprogramming and imobilizer delete.
Totaling 3k +/- 1k for the unknown

Add another later on 1.5 - 2k for the stage 2 cams and ECU re-reprogramming later

edit:

adding youtube vid of Cotybuilt TJ granted that is a rig they built and mine will be a DIY headache but as bored as i am i think i am/will be ready for the project this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I looked at the Cody built and they are pretty proud of their stuff. Good luck with your conversion. I know that the Samurai guys love the vw diesel conversions. I don't think that power or gearing will be an issue for you. Have you see the Dirt Every Day diesel vs gas comparison video? Yes, it is a little biased since they were given their engine to swap out but it does give a fair comparison.

Reactions: NW David

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

i have, it was a fun video to watch! i loved their segment driving it underwater with scuba gear and a 16' tall snorkel lmao but that is just redonculous wish i had that kinda moneys to get it done before my summer trip but, meh, it can wait too

there were also several other companies for the VW convert too several sites have the parts i need but cotybuilt had the "best" package to present to the forum for input