Haiyden
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hotel Whiskey 03
Service Branch
US Marine Corps
The wife and I finally agreed on something. Lol. 2006 Jeep Commander. Had him for about 2 weeks. One of those at the mechanics shop. Just got him back today. Got a few upgrades coming but I’m curious to see what your thoughts are and what upgrades you guys recommend.

Attachments

3.BlowT4R

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Fremont, CA, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Van Sickle
Member #

I'd say first things first make sure the vehicle is mechanically sound. You're going to be relying on this vehicle to get you in and out of trails. After that I'd upgrade tires such as the BFG K02's, get a rear locker (especially if this is 2wd), depending on trails you're you plan on try and get some under body protection, then get a slight lift like 2-3in tops and that should be about all you need to have a decent offroader. Imo though id say it would be better to do these things to a 4wd chasis but hey get out and adventure with what you can. Good luck!

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

If your mechanic checked it out. IMO I would start doing research on tires that will fit your requirements. What percentage of the time driving are you going to be off-road and daily street use. Buy A Gazetteer for your area, find some local back roads, pack a lunch, grab your Sweetie and start exploring. Gaia mapping on your phone would be a great start for navigation. I would hold off on any radical modifications until you learn the vehicle and your needs. I have a friend that jumped in too fast and bought thousands on needless gear. Read the forums and ask questions. Good luck, happy trails!