Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hey all, as the title reads, I am looking for ideas for a new rig. This will hopefully take place in a year or two, but I want to have ample time to save and plan it out due to my below requirements of a rig. So here it goes:

My girlfriend, her dog, and her three girls want to accompany me and my dog on my adventures after hearing about them and after my girlfriend has gone with me on day trips. So between the 5 of us and 2 dogs, we need more space than my WJ has to offer. While they CAN sit next to each other with the dogs in the back and gear everywhere else, 3 girls need a little space and I don't want to have to strap everything onto the roof. We are planning a trip to the Black Hills area in SD before school starts back up, but because they're still into glamping, we're taking her minivan (gag) and not taking the WJ since we will be on paved and well maintained roads. I've considered a trailer for the WJ, but I'd still need more space for the kids to spread out. So ideally I'd like a third row seat. I don't run crazy trails so I don't need a rock crawler or crazy lift. I run some gnarly gravel and dirt roads comparable to some mild to maybe mild-moderate trails. Aftermarket support would be ideal and preferred, but I'm not scared of some fabrication.

I have looked at a Toyota Land Cruiser (FZJ80 preferred), 2014+ T4R with the 3rd row, Ford Econoline vans (Sportmobile setup eventually?), Chevy/GMC Suburban, Ford Excursion. I am strongly considering either a FZJ80 or a T4R for the fact that they're proven and reliable, have good aftermarket support, and would also be ideal for a DD.

I'm sure I left stuff out, but you get the idea. Let's discuss!

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Seems like the land cruiser or T4R or really most options that size (7 seat suv) are going to be really full with just passengers and dogs. You will have trouble fitting much gear. I struggle with 2 adults, 2 kids in my LR4, and I use two huge pelican cases on the roof. Can't imagine trying to deal with dogs also. I've been downsizing gear over the last few years, but im walking a fine line between comfort and my wife not wanting anything to do with our trips . (its already a challenge).

Sportmobile sure would be nice. Or ya.. some kind of fullsize.

A select few things on the roof will probably be needed. We love our swing out tire and jerry holders because it lets me keep 10 gallons of water (or some fuel) along with the trasharoo which holds a lot, and on a longer trip its full of smelly/dirty things I don't really want in the back.

Make sure you think in terms of GVWR also. Think about payload and fuel. My LR4 is freaking heavy and fuel range is a huge factor.

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

4Runner would be a great vehicle since its so capable on offroad tracks with little to no modifications. They have good fuel economy considering their size and have pretty low maintenance costs for something that is known to run for 250k miles easy.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Seems like the land cruiser or T4R or really most options that size (7 seat suv) are going to be really full with just passengers and dogs. You will have trouble fitting much gear. I struggle with 2 adults, 2 kids in my LR4, and I use two huge pelican cases on the roof. Can't imagine trying to deal with dogs also. I've been downsizing gear over the last few years, but im walking a fine line between comfort and my wife not wanting anything to do with our trips . (its already a challenge).

Sportmobile sure would be nice. Or ya.. some kind of fullsize.

A select few things on the roof will probably be needed. We love our swing out tire and jerry holders because it lets me keep 10 gallons of water (or some fuel) along with the trasharoo which holds a lot, and on a longer trip its full of smelly/dirty things I don't really want in the back.

Make sure you think in terms of GVWR also. Think about payload and fuel. My LR4 is freaking heavy and fuel range is a huge factor.
Luckily the dogs are small, and her dog may not accompany us until we get him better trained. I am hoping for a RTT that'll hold all of the sleeping stuff. I plan on running stuff on the roof like I normally do, but with a swing out with gas and water can mounts, I'd free up space on the roof where the gas cans rode, and inside where the water cans rode. Luckily all of us (minus the dogs so far) can fit in her Dodge Journey (minivan lolol) with room for some gear. Luckily we're really good at packing, but still will need some more space/carrying options. I plan on running a Trasharoo and recovery mats on the spare on the swing out to carry trash/other gear. With the girls, we won't be doing long trips away from civilization, so we can always hit a refuel/restock point for fuel and food every day. The girls are not into staying off grid just yet as their exposure to the outdoors is limited (for now). Without the girls, we're looking at staying more off grid if we can for a few days at a time. So we're gonna be more mild compared to a lot of you with our endeavors.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
4Runner would be a great vehicle since its so capable on offroad tracks with little to no modifications. They have good fuel economy considering their size and have pretty low maintenance costs for something that is known to run for 250k miles easy.
The T4R has honestly on the top of my list from the start. I'd love a Jeep but that's not an option with this many occupants. Glad to hear that they're plenty capable stock with good fuel economy.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The wj would probably handle the 5+2 of you in it. I would use the roof wisely and I would look at a trail trailer to handle the rest, shower, kitchen, rtt. The trailer will not cost as much and you can leave it at the camp site. If there interest in the outings does not wane, then upgrade the vehicle.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
The wj would probably handle the 5+2 of you in it. I would use the roof wisely and I would look at a trail trailer to handle the rest, shower, kitchen, rtt. The trailer will not cost as much and you can leave it at the camp site. If there interest in the outings does not wane, then upgrade the vehicle.
First off, I appreciate you looking at my current setup and suggesting that I work with what I have. That was the initial plan. I think it would take some careful planning, but it could be done. 3 girls in the back right next to each other might get a little crazy. They've done just fine for maybe a 20-30 minute drive, but beyond that, my girl said they need a little space or it turns into a $#!t show. I plan on taking maybe an hour drive with them and the rig fully loaded somewhere. I'm curious as to how they'll do like that with a little more space versus their mom's Journey. I like my WJ, but with the girls being in the 8-14 range, things will only get worse. More space is needed. Better aftermarket support is needed. Better fuel mileage is welcomed.

Sometimes I wish I would have gone with a different rig over the WJ. I love the WJ and it has served me well. I bought it with the mindset that it would be a 3-5 year vehicle since I was on the tail end of my MBA and hoping it would get me through the first 2 years of a good job that would allow me to save for something better.

I wish Jeep made a platform with a 3rd row. I'm a Jeep guy through and through, and I can make the WJ work for the time being, but at the end of the day I'll still want a rig that will support my needs without a lot of compromise. I figure in 1-2 years time I can snag a good replacement to fill the needs. I have considered building a trailer for freeing up the cargo area for the dogs, along with utilizing the roof basket better. If I can snag one for under $1K that's in usable shape, I'll do it. I know the WJ will need some work in the coming years. The 4.7 has some avoidable issues that most don't take the time or spend the money to avoid. Mine falls under the category of a previous owner not taking care of the rig in a few areas. The engine will need an overhaul for sure, or at least the heads. Swapping a NP242HD tcase would be a good upgrade to reduce wear on the drivetrain and to maybe free up a little power/mpg's.

However, with all of that said, the $$ spent on any further upgrades and add-ons would definitely be sufficient for a down payment on a solid pre-owned 5th gen T4R or equivalent on top of either trading in the WJ or selling outright for a decent amount. I'm drawn to the T4R for the 3rd row, Toyota reliability, good off-road capabilities stock, MPG's, and aftermarket support, but I am open to other platforms. I just need it to be DD worthy like my WJ.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Facebook market place is a good site to start looking trailers to modify. I picked mine up 450.00 and spent 200.00 on steel and wielding time( my brother charged me) add 2 steel wheels with 35s mounted on them. Mine is functional not pretty. I have and 04 discovery with 350 tpi swap and my backup is a 2001 xj.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Facebook market place is a good site to start looking trailers to modify. I picked mine up 450.00 and spent 200.00 on steel and wielding time( my brother charged me) add 2 steel wheels with 35s mounted on them. Mine is functional not pretty. I have and 04 discovery with 350 tpi swap and my backup is a 2001 xj.

She and I talked it over last night. Since we're going on this trip here in a little over a month without the dogs, she thinks we can make it work in my WJ. So here's the "test run" we were hoping for. I still want to look at a trailer for hauling the gear since eventually the dogs will be in the back, and I still want to look at my options for a larger rig. The T4R would be a good option since the trunk space appears to be larger and the rig itself has plenty of aftermarket support. An 80, 100, or 200 series LC would be in the cards if the price is right. IF (and that's a big if) IF the girls do well or alright in the WJ, a non-third row option might be in the cards.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
look into a first gen sequoia, ample room , super reliable and not much bigger then a newer 4 runner, and the third row seating is actually usable for someone bigger then a toddler
Any idea on the aftermarket support for this vehicle? I haven't seen much of any, so I assume it's worse than my WJ. This platform did cross my mind.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

there's not a ton like a 4 runner but lift kits , sliders , bumpers ,racks and all those goodies are easily attainable.
mime on 33s with a winch bumper would still get 17 mpg on the freeway and 14 or so traveling offroad .
00505_fopOZVmVAqQ_600x450.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

https://sequoia-forums.com

good place to gather info on sequoia. if your main goal is gravel roads and room look into suburbans might as well get all the room available in a vehicles , 4 girls will fill a rig real quick . Also make sure to bring along things that'll be very enjoyable for them whether it be coloring books maybe bring some Frisbees and volleyball net and sort of those things that'll really get them to enjoy being outside and never ever ever forget the s'mores