New rig from NY (2005 Acura MDX)

• HTML tutorial

couchpotato23

Rank II

Enthusiast III

New York
Howdy all! I came into ownership of this car for the price of a power steering pump and steering rack last summer. It was in Florida, had not started in 4 months and we weren't sure if we were even able to start it. Two one way tickets down and we got to the car, jumped it and began the cannonball run back north (had to get back for work!) The car was drinking power steering fluid but it seemed other wise sturdy. A pit stop for bbq in South Carolina and we were back on the road north. Through the winter the car has been to Vermont a slew of times (Jay Peak!!) and other than a dead alternator(beat that one home.) it has been relatively reliable.

I drove the car bone stock for a few months with the hope that it may do alright on our soft sand beaches on Long Island as a surf buggy. After venturing out with a friends truck in tandem we had deemed her beach worthy and ready for solo adventures! The VTM-4 system is not bad for this. I won't be a rock crawler but it can definitely help in those sticky situations.

The goals are to keep the cost down on this and do what is necessary to perform well. I just test fit some 245/75/16 AT's on yesterday and we didn't see any rub! Next week I should have some Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws ready to install. I have some wheel spacers if necessary once running. Also in the living room are new KYB shocks and struts(the stock are pretty beat) and in the mail a small spacer lift that allegedly works with a Pilot (We shall see!)

Future plans are minimal right now. I'm thinking of ripping out the third row and building a platform with some storage drawers to take up the trunk. On top of this I'm thinking of hinging a piece of plywood that I can fold out to put over the middle seats when they are folded flat for a bed platform.

Happy to be aboard and while most of my overlanding will be on the sand, I will have the truck out on the campgrounds of New England too!

Attachments

Reactions: Chadlyb

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hey welcome @couchpotato23 I think its really cool that the first time you drove the rig it was a major road trip.
Looking forward to seeing what you do to your new rig.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Howdy all! I came into ownership of this car for the price of a power steering pump and steering rack last summer. It was in Florida, had not started in 4 months and we weren't sure if we were even able to start it. Two one way tickets down and we got to the car, jumped it and began the cannonball run back north (had to get back for work!) The car was drinking power steering fluid but it seemed other wise sturdy. A pit stop for bbq in South Carolina and we were back on the road north. Through the winter the car has been to Vermont a slew of times (Jay Peak!!) and other than a dead alternator(beat that one home.) it has been relatively reliable.

I drove the car bone stock for a few months with the hope that it may do alright on our soft sand beaches on Long Island as a surf buggy. After venturing out with a friends truck in tandem we had deemed her beach worthy and ready for solo adventures! The VTM-4 system is not bad for this. I won't be a rock crawler but it can definitely help in those sticky situations.

The goals are to keep the cost down on this and do what is necessary to perform well. I just test fit some 245/75/16 AT's on yesterday and we didn't see any rub! Next week I should have some Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws ready to install. I have some wheel spacers if necessary once running. Also in the living room are new KYB shocks and struts(the stock are pretty beat) and in the mail a small spacer lift that allegedly works with a Pilot (We shall see!)

Future plans are minimal right now. I'm thinking of ripping out the third row and building a platform with some storage drawers to take up the trunk. On top of this I'm thinking of hinging a piece of plywood that I can fold out to put over the middle seats when they are folded flat for a bed platform.

Happy to be aboard and while most of my overlanding will be on the sand, I will have the truck out on the campgrounds of New England too!
Hello and welcome to the OB crew...great story and rig. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures.

Reactions: couchpotato23